Thread: Vic Firth Headphones?

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Headphones?

Hey guys!

I bought some Vic Firth headphones a few months ago for $60 on guitar center. Now the headphones are cutting out whenever I move the cord. Which sucks for me because like moving my head a lot when I play. This has happened to me many times before with headphones, and it's killing me. I really loved these headphones too because they blocked out the noise of my drums, but not too much, ya know?

Is there a way to fix this? Should I buy the same headphones again and be super careful? Should I get more a expensive pair? Is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks so much!
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Headphones?

See what the warranty is for them.

User Info Menu

You should keep the headphones, cut off the cord and just use normal, less important headphones on underneath them.

User Info Menu

Cut your losses and buy a pair of headphones that allows you to replace the different components WHEN, not if they fail. A good pair of phones that allows you to do that is the Sennheiser 260 Pro headphones. They cost a hundred bucks but are well worth it. You get what you pay for normally. The reviews on the Vic Firth's are not real good. I've had mine for 4 years now with zero problems. Here are some reviews http://www.head-fi.org/products/senn...hones/reviews/ They adjust and lay down flat when not in use. They mute the highs and lows of my drums so they aren't damaging my ears while at the same time are clear with good high's low's and sound great. Check them out.

Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It could be the connection between your headphones and the headphone jack at your music source. When they cut out, can you jiggle that connection and see if it makes any difference. Or it could be a loose wire in the headphone plug itself. If it's a problem with the plug and it's a 1/4", you could replace the plug provided it isn't covered under a warranty of somekind.

User Info Menu

i have a pile of broken earbuds, all of them will work if i jiggle the wires.
    GC has a 30 day return policy. contact Vic Virth or eat the loss and make another purchase.

User Info Menu

Theres a short in the headphones. you have to strip the wire get a soddering gun and sodder the serperated wires. shaking your head is probably what caused it, or wrapping them up. I've been hearing alot lately about peoples headphones breaking just a month or so after getting them. It happens more and more often and its a shame that the companies don't do something to strengthen the wires. Its all so they can make more money.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Actually, to me the Vic Firth's seemed to me to be on the cheap side manufacturing wise. Plus wrapping a cord around anything electronic to store it away is an eventual death sentence to the internal connections.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I owned a pair of Vic Firth headphones. They are fricken torture devices. They were so uncomfortable they were always the limiting factor in how long I played.

I'd highly recommend something else. Anything else!

I picked up a pair of Direct Sound's EX-29 and they are way better in my opinion. I'm sure there are other good brands out there as well. Just do yourself a favor. Don't buy another set of Vic Firths!
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Maybe it aren't the headphones that cut out. If you say that you had the same problem with some previous headphones, it could be the input of your module/mp3/... that's broken.
    I use the Vic Firth headphones too, I've got no problems with it

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for all of your responses!

I know that it's the headphones and not what I'm plugging them into because I have another set of headphones (that won't really be good to play the drums with) and they work fine.

I also lost my receipt, which is a rookie mistake. Never lose the receipts, people!
    I'm going to call Vic Firth anyway though. Maybe they will be a cool company and replace them without a receipt, but I highly doubt.

I am definitely thinking about trying different headphones.

Thanks!
    I have an insane admiration and respect for the craft that is drumming and I have a never-ending desire to be the best i can possibly be. I dont play drums or practice because I have to, I play because I can't help it. ~ Cobus Potgieter ~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    Thank you guys for all of your responses!

I know that it's the headphones and not what I'm plugging them into because I have another set of headphones (that won't really be good to play the drums with) and they work fine.

I also lost my receipt, which is a rookie mistake. Never lose the receipts, people!
    I'm going to call Vic Firth anyway though. Maybe they will be a cool company and replace them without a receipt, but I highly doubt.

I am definitely thinking about trying different headphones.

Thanks!
    What about warranty? Is there a model or serial number on the headphones you could give the company, and request an exchange or another set of equal or lesser value that works for you?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was thinking about picking up these headphones for the noise canceling so I could easily record and play/practice as well in spare time to some songs.

Would these work for noise cancelling or would something else work better?
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by druski_2k5 View Post
    I was thinking about picking up these headphones for the noise canceling so I could easily record and play/practice as well in spare time to some songs.

Would these work for noise cancelling or would something else work better?
    For the price, you really can't go wrong. Sennheiser and AKG are my top choices in headphones, and i've had quite a few of them. Senn's seem to have a little more comfort and shape to my ears better than other brands, I could play long sessions with them and not be in much pain. I went with AKG because they have great clarity and volume, a good mix of lows and mids but not too much booming. Having used several different pairs of AKG in small room band practices, I can say they definitely help take down the noise to an acceptable level. I can hear my kit over two guitar players easily.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Had a set of the Vic Firth headphones and chucked them in the trash within a few weeks. The sound was muffled and they were VERY uncomfortable. Been using a set of Roland PH-120's for a few years now and I love them. Crystal clear highs and lows, heavy duty cord, and they only weigh 1/2 of what the Vic Firths did. I also have a set of Sennheiser cordless headphones for backup. It's nice not having the cord, but the sound quality is lacking a little.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads