Thread: Advice for beginner drummers?

User Info Menu

Default Advice for beginner drummers?

I know it's a stupid question, but the reason I'm asking is, I am teaching myself. I can't get lessons, so I really need some advice.
    I need all the advice I can get. From proper technique, to beats.. I just need advice.
    Should I be focusing on learning songs? Or something else?
    And what should I practice while.. well.. practicing?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice for beginner drummers?

Well lets start off like this. what do you want to know first. you cant just tackle everything at once or you'll stress yourself out. Do you want to know how to keep time, how to deal with coordination between hihat, snare, and bass drum. Pick something to practice the most. Once you master one thing you can master another. Remember rome wasn't built in a day.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

playing along with easy sings on your ipod is a good way to learn

make sure when you hit your drums the stick is going strait down and not diagonal

try to find your optimal seat height

dont neglect rudiments

learn to roll (llrrllrrllrrllrr) using the rebound of the drum

User Info Menu

You sure came to the right place! You may notice on the bottom of the main page of this site there are links of recommended videos to watch filled with all sorts of good patterns and fills to try. You could try playalongs when you're ready, but for now the videos are good to start with.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

grip and posture is the most important things to learn now..it can make or break you ......don't make it harder for yourself by learning bad habits

User Info Menu

im no teacher but here's one or two points i can offer from my experience.

personally i concentrated on differentiating clearly what the different parts of the kit sounded like on recordings, once it made sense i just started playing along. focusing first on the beats i could accomplish. nothing too fancy, just getting comfortable keeping time.

additionally there are a wealth of vids out there now that i didn't have the benefit of. find a grip that suits you from watching, find the fulcrum or balance point of the stick by balancing it on your index finger, this is approx where your thumb and index finger should be placed for maximum ease. remember to stay loose, if your tensing up slow it down till you can play faster comfortably.

enjoy and welcome!!!
    Last edited by onegourd; 08-20-2012 at 05:37 AM.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    grip and posture is the most important things to learn now..it can make or break you ......don't make it harder for yourself by learning bad habits
    +1

User Info Menu

Hi Metal Rain (nice name ), welcome to the forum and the world of drumming!

I've been playing just under a year so am a newbie myself. I strongly suggest getting a good metronome and learn to play right from the start with it.

Also, don't forget to relax and breath. When you're just starting out it's easy to tense up without even realizing it.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Here's a few:

When setting up, get your priorities straight. You should be 100% comfortable with your snare, hi hat, and bass drum. Honestly you shouldn't have to compensate comfort for anything, but at first (and with the limited movement of entry-level sets) you may have to.

Learn with to play with a metronome, even one on your phone. This doesn't mean you have to sit and do exercises all day with one, but when you go to improvise and play, treat it like it is another musician. Be sure that you can do any beat/fill with a metronome on time.

Keep dynamics in mind, some parts sound better played softer and others louder, make sure you can comfortably pull that off.

Be diverse with your choice of music to play along to; you don't have to go overboard with this, but atleast get a feel for other genres.

User Info Menu

I've just started playing myself. To echo some, I've found a good metronome to be extremely helpful. Also, counting the beats out loud, "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, etc..." and tapping your foot to the beat as well.

Start slow and feel comfortable before increasing speed. Good luck and I hope this helps

User Info Menu

All great advice, in terms of beats or grooves start with a simple rock beat, 8th notes on the hi-hats (once you learn how to count) 2 and 4 on the snare, kick drum on 1 and 3. You'll be rocking in no time. Even with this simple beat you can play so many songs, Billie Jean by MJ for example.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Everything that has been said plus things that haven't been said can all be found on the internet these days. From how to hold your sticks, all the rudiments to practice, how to do simple rolls on your snare and toms, how to set up your kit. YouTube is a decent place to look as well as this site. There are a ton of other sites that you can find by just goggling around. Playing along to songs is the method that is a lot more fun than just practicing rudiments. But your going to need to get the first 10 or so simple rudiments down in order to be able to get your timing right and to be able to follow simple beats. ACDC is a great jumping off point after you get comfortable with doing correct snare rolls and other simple rudiments. Welcome to Drum Chat and have fun. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of your tips, guys. I really appreciate it! I know 2 songs full, I know how to count notes, and I'm working on rudiments also. One other thing is, can you recommend a site that teaches your how to read music? I know a little, but can't really understand it %100 yet. Or maybe a good book on it?

User Info Menu

I suggest trying, "Drummer's Guide to Fills", by Pete Sweeney.

The first section is all about notes. Then it starts out really basic and simple and progresses. It's been good for me when I work on sight reading.

A CD is included so you can hear how each should be played properly. Sometimes it helps to play along with it.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

All good advice. Practice your sticking. The sticks should feel good in your hands. Your grip should not be tight. Learn to use the rebound off the drum and how to use your fingers to control it. If playing on a kit, try the various pedal techniques and find the one you like the best and practice it. Don't limit your self to a single technique for too long. You will find the more you play, you will mix techniques to achieve the sound you want.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

There are some good sites that offer the rudiments and free lessons. Use those. I never learned the rudiments properly, and it's biting me in the *** 3 years later. So basically find a teacher or rent some instructional DVDs.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Remember: RUDIMENTS RUDIMENTS RUDIMENTS!!!

User Info Menu

play every day, in 2 years you'll be amazed at what you can do