Thread: Noise Reduction for drums

User Info Menu

Default Noise Reduction for drums

I have a situation with a neighbor whose daughter is in a marching band. She practices her drums every day at odd times during the day and evening and she does this on the back porch of her house. We've approached the mother and we've been disrespected and threatened. We'd like to suggest something that will help keep the noise to a minimum. The mother refuses to let her practice in the house. I've heard about something called drum pads that are supposed to be nearly silent. I somehow don't believe that because nothing about drums seems silent or quiet. Does anyone have any information about anything that can give us some relief that we can suggest? My husband is nearly 70, has a heart condition and still works full time. Her evening practice disturbs his sleep and frankly between the god awful noise and stress of the situation it gives me migraines.

Any help would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Noise Reduction for drums

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingEars View Post
    We've approached the mother and we've been disrespected and threatened.
    This approach has always worked for me when I lived in the city. Communication is the key and it sounds as if you've given it the 'ol "college try" by approaching her mother. It sounds as if the situation would escalate if you tried to apporach her with using 'practice pads'. They do work but playing them in lieu of a real drum is a drummer's choice.

Were you going to offer her mom a set of practice pads or are you going to merely suggest she use one? I hate to say this but since communication didn't work and you were theatened, it's time to call you local law enforcement agency and ask about the sound ordinances in your area. Some cities have noise ordinances where there's an actual decibal level where the noise cannot exceed. A noise abatement complaint usually forces the agency to come out to the location with a decibal meter to measure the levels outside from the street.
    Last edited by late8; 08-27-2012 at 08:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Drum silencer/muter pads exist, they are externally mounted onto drums and take out 90% of the noise the drum makes. However, it changes the sound and feel of the drum so certain parts of practice become a little more difficult like bounce rolls or anything requiring a softer touch. If you're being threatened for any reason you really ought to call the authorities, after all you were just trying to talk to them. Maybe with their help you guys can all come to a truce and at least get her playing daytime hours. If not she might try the pads or else invest in an electronic kit.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Bleeding ears, I give you a lot of credit for coming to a drum site to see what can be done, and it's interesting to hear the point of view of a neighbor. I agree with late8 that if you have tried to have a civil discussion , the next step is to know what the law says about noise in your community. Once you know your rights, you can discuss an arrangement that is fair to everyone. If that don't work, you will have no alternative other than call the police so that they can mediate a solution for you and the other family. Yes, drums are louder than many other instruments, and the only way to have peace in the neighborhood, is for people to work out a solution that takes everyone's needs into account.

All the best to you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It's really sad that the Mother seems to not want anything to do with her daughters dreams and aspirations. The reason she plays on the back porch, which is the worst place to play concerning the neighbors, is why? Because it is loud? Really? Can't she play in the basement. There is something wrong with this "Mother".
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I also agree to calling authority cause the mother sure has no respect for older people. At your age you don't need this agravation cause you are retired want peace and quiet. Good luck and I hope you get this resolved soon.

User Info Menu

Maybe try talking to the daughter rather than the Mother?