Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones for practice.

User Info Menu

Default Headphones for practice.

I'll start my first post with what seems like an easy question but I need a little help from you pro's.

I am a long time drummer, but after my band broke up 8 years ago I just haven't had the time,.. but after enough fiddling with a guitar I have to get back on a set.

Problem I'm having is headphones, and in particular being able to hear the song I am trying to replicate (practice to) loudly, and clearly enough to not have the drum set impede or override in any way the song. I'd rather hear more from the phones than the set in a practice (solo) scenario.

Example: Using an Iphone 4, with earbuds just doesn't cut it. While I can play with them, I find myself stopping or just barely 'guessing' through the blend of the set I'm playing and the beat/song coming from the earbuds.

I even tried putting a set of over the ear headphones (not plugged in) over my earbuds and they just are lacking something.

I don't know if most people use some sort of aftermarket amplifier to enhance the headphones from a portable device like this.. or that simply buying some $100 "better" headphones will make this issue go away.

I ask, because I don't want to spend the money and still have the issue.

I've plugged 2 pair of relatively old and inexpensive headphones to a 750watt Pioneer receivers headphone 'out' jack and before it gets to what I need to play comfortably.. it will distort.

What do you guys use, what is a really safe bet? Money is an object, but I'm willing to pay a bit to get the result.

Thanks for any advice,

User Info Menu

Default Re: Headphones for practice.

Honestly, i know theyre expensive, but i got a pair of SHURE E2 In ears for $100 bucks.I've been using them for about 5 years now. Super isolating, and super loud, if your using the right device. I Cant say an ipod or iphone will be loud enough for certain things. I know for myself, i plug my metronome click into a small mixer, from the mixer to my in ears. Thats the best way if you dont mind spending the money.

User Info Menu

Sennheiser 280 pro headphones. They have 32dB external sound attenuation. All parts subject to wear and tear such as ear pads, headband padding, and the cable are easily replaceable. And the ear pads collapse flat for easy storage. I hate the way other headphones roll around and fall down when not in use. Plus the Germans always make good stuff. For $100.00 bucks, they are well worth it. You don't have to crank the music through the phones, while hurting your ears, in order to hear the music over your drums, and vise verse.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Sennheiser 280 pro headphones. They have 32dB external sound attenuation. All parts subject to wear and tear such as ear pads, headband padding, and the cable are easily replaceable. And the ear pads collapse flat for easy storage. I.....over your drums, and vise verse.
    Hey Wolvie how long is the cable on those? I used to use the Senny open ear foamies from years back for playing while protecting the ears. I've been struggling with various ear buds but one problem is cord length or adding a cord extension. Playing you move around and I'd keep my music source further from myself. I see some real good reviews on Amazon too.

User Info Menu

These are what I use.
    Featuring Dual High-Definition MicroDrivers, the SE425 uses a dedicated tweeter and woofer for an accurate and balanced sound. Detachable cable with formable wire enables easy replacement and secure, comfortable fit. Sound Isolating sleeves in multiple sizes provide up to 37 dB of isolation.

Because they block out a lot of ambient noise you don't have to turn the music up too loud so you protect your hearing as well. And by controlling the volume you decide how much of your drums you want to hear. Same with using them as monitors, you can control how much ambient noise you want while still protecting your hearing.

They fit really nice in the ear and the cable fits comfortably over and behind the ear so the cable is behind you and out of the way.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 09-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I'm using Klipsch S4 earbuds with my Galaxy S3 cranked to max volume. It's just loud enough without distortion. The fact that they seal so well means the drums don't over power them.

If I want even better sound, I'll use over-the-ear Roland headphones hooked up to my laptop, which is louder than my phone.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    These are what I use.
    Featuring Dual High-Definition MicroDrivers, the SE425 uses a dedicated tweeter and woofer for an accurate and balanced sound. Detachable cable with formable wire enables easy replacement and secure, comfortable fit. Sound Isolating sleeves in multiple sizes provide up to 37 dB of isolation.

The Klipsch Digit uses may be like some I have but those block the world out (plus drums mostly) when I put them in all the way. Maybe need to look at those again too.

User Info Menu

I'm so old and cheap so I use $15 (-27-30 DB)lawnmower/power tool "headphones" over my iPod buds and turn down the song volume. Looks dumb but works.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Nice by my they are a bit on the high side. Amazon shows $299? Bit much for me at the moment.

The Klipsch Digit uses may be like some I have but those block the world out (plus drums mostly) when I put them in all the way. Maybe need to look at those again too.
    Check ebay for deals on the Shure's. There are two or three lines in this style below the se425. There is a "2" series and a "3" series. Both sound very good.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

The cheapest method is to get a pair of noise cancelling headphones and put them over your earbuds, just standard headphones usually aren't enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Check ebay for deals on the Shure's. There are two or three lines in this style below the se425. There is a "2" series and a "3" series. Both sound very good.
    I can see rave reviews. One guy on Amazon sounded like a real life sound engineer. Still on ebay nothing lower that $255...

Still ears are a terrible thing to waste.... or hurt.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, you should check out the Boostaroo battery-powered audio amplifier. I've had to use one before for several gigs and it works well. Plug the device into your iPod and then connect the earbuds to the Boostaroo. It's only $30.
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    12"x9", 14"x14", 16"x16", 22"x18"

Addiction Drum Design custom 14"x7" segment snare
    Ludwig Epic 14"x7" "Brick" snare with custom paint
    DW Collector's Series 14"x6.5" Black Nickel Over Brass snare

Zildjian A Custom
    14" Mastersound HiHats
    16" Projection Crash
    18" Projection Crash
    21" Rezo Ride

Evans Drum Heads

Meinl Cajon
    Meinl Large Studio Shaker
    LP Egg Shaker
    LP Cyclops Tambourine

User Info Menu

thanks man

User Info Menu

I had the predecessors to the SE315's (I think, they were $100-120) and they were awesome. They're designed to have the cord go up around your ears and down your back. Super comfortable, very clear, and LOUD. They do a great job of blocking out a lot of the ambient noise around you too, just like fullcollapse325 said.

User Info Menu

I use direct sound ex29s and like them.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

I use the Vic Firth Isolation Headphones. They have decent sound and work like a dream. I can play along with music and don't have to kill my ears. Great for recording too. Check 'em out.
    A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Premier Cabria Jazz: 10/12/14/20
    Mapex Dillinger Snare
    Sabian:
    AA 14" Regular Hats
    AAX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    AAX 20" Studio Ride
    HHX 18" X-Plosion Crash
    Paragon 19" Chinese
    Evans
    Vater Stewart Copeland Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Great feedback guys (gals?) one thing I really like about these forums (good ones like DrumChat) is that while everyone may have a differrent favorite or reason for using something it helps make a short list very fast. What I typically do is look at the most recommended, my budget, best reviews (grain'o'salt too), my preferences and then boom! Pull the trigger.

Ultimately I'm always buying something I needed or wanted and ususally getting some help on finding a good price too.

This sure beats getting in the car and driving around to the shops and listening to the sales guy who either goes on and on or is clueless.

User Info Menu

I use modified Skullcandy earphones. I have larger isolation rubber things on the end and they work really well, and I drum loudly. about 30 bucks.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Hey Wolvie how long is the cable on those? I used to use the Senny open ear foamies from years back for playing while protecting the ears. I've been struggling with various ear buds but one problem is cord length or adding a cord extension. Playing you move around and I'd keep my music source further from myself. I see some real good reviews on Amazon too.
    Sorry. Been out of town at the Rush concert. The cord is 5 1/2 feet and stretches out to 8 feet. It's a coiled cord. I know there are better phones out there, but for $100.00 bucks, you get a lot of bang for your buck.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I used skull candy earbuds for a while until they broke. They were nice because you could hear your drums but still hear the music. You have to turn them up pretty loud but they work and they're cheap.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm. Turning up your music so you can hear it over your drums is damage to your ears waiting to happen. You need to invest in something that offers some kind of sound attenuation. Welcome to DC, man.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

i have 3 sets of in-ears ...shure, akg and klipsch i used them for years

now have a nice set of closed ears since my trusty HD-555 failed i have the sennhiser HD 25-sp II, im not going back to in-ears unless im on stage

User Info Menu

Sorry. Been out of town at the Rush concert. The cord is 5 1/2 feet and stretches out to 8 feet. It's a coiled cord. I know there are better phones out there, but for $100.00 bucks, you get a lot of bang for your buck.
    Interesting , you were at a Rush concert and the date of your post was 21/12.
    Nice.

User Info Menu

Earplugs plus Bose Triport over the ears. I'm weary of in-ears as in my experience, they don't isolate as well as I want, and also don't do much to cut down on any of the high frequencies from the kit (what makes my ears hurt more than anything else). Playing with just regular headphones can work, but you need the kind that the cup fits over your ear and doesn't just sit on your ear. Even then, the materials of the cups vary enough that you can still have issues with the high frequencies, and/or the way your drums sound. The Vic Firth isolation ones are good, and I'd get them to replace my triports when they eventually break. The triports I use work well for me, and make my drums sound good to my ears without being harsh. Plus I then add earplugs just for further protection- can't be too careful!

User Info Menu

Sennheiser 280 pro headphones. They have 32dB external sound attenuation. All parts subject to wear and tear such as ear pads, headband padding, and the cable are easily replaceable. And the ear pads collapse flat for easy storage. I hate the way other headphones roll around and fall down when not in use. Plus the Germans always make good stuff. For $100.00 bucks, they are well worth it. You don't have to crank the music through the phones, while hurting your ears, in order to hear the music over your drums, and vise verse.
    +1 I've used these now for at least 6 years. LOVE the HD280 Pro. They are seriously the best you can get for under $100 bucks.

Also check the settings on your iPod you may have a "maximum volume level" set. Careful with the ears though! you only get one pair!
    Cut it large and kick it into place!