Thread: Remo Heads *HELP*

User Info Menu

Exclamation Remo Heads *HELP*

Ok, so I'm looking into new tom heads because I got my set used with old heads. They still sound ok but the problem is that the guy I bought them from cut out the bottom heads. I think he did it cause of the 70s funk sound thing. But anyways I was wondering would Remo Ebony Pinstripe work as resistants and same thing with the Remo Ambassador. I'm on a tight budget and have found out those heads produce the sound I want, and I found some for a cheap price.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Heads *HELP*

They are a good combination no doubt 2ply/singleply. Even though I am a Evans fan that would be equal to G2's/G1's.

User Info Menu

Ok but would it be ok if if i used a batter as a resistant? (this is the first time i'm buying new heads)

User Info Menu

i use the very combination your speaking of. yea its a good combo. batter as a resonant head probably not the best idea. they have there own purposes for a reason.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Never heard of a batter as a reso head but nothing say you can't try it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumm3rboy View Post
    Ok, so I'm looking into new tom heads because I got my set used with old heads. They still sound ok but the problem is that the guy I bought them from cut out the bottom heads. I think he did it cause of the 70s funk sound thing. But anyways I was wondering would Remo Ebony Pinstripe work as resistants and same thing with the Remo Ambassador. I'm on a tight budget and have found out those heads produce the sound I want, and I found some for a cheap price.
    Ambassador as a reso is good, but the Pinstripes for a bottom head is not. Looking at your post, I'm not 100% clear on what you're options are. But if you can afford to get both a set of Ambassador heads and a set of the Pinstripes (If these are the heads you prefer), I would put the Ambos on the bottom and the Pins for the batter.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

yeah that's what i'm planning on doing ambassadors on the bottom and pinstripe on the top i just found a really cheap pinstripe so i was wondering if that would work as the resistant so yeah thanks!

User Info Menu

I think you mean resonant, not resistant. Resonant heads are the ones used on the bottom, and like their name implies are in charge of resonance, as well as additional properties like volume and sustain - they are an extension of your batter(the top) head's sound. Pinstripe is a great choice for a batter head, it has a fat but controlled sound due to a dampening ring around the collar and 2 ply construction. I would not recommend a beefy head like a pinstripe for a resonant head, but that doesn't necessarily mean 2 ply heads don't work on the bottom. I have had some success with a pinstripe over an emperor, despite recommendations against doing it. Fortunately for me, a drum I bought was already set up that way so I didn't have to spend any time and money ordering those heads for the test.

With drumheads there's no real definitive rules to follow, you can use anything you want on either side. If you can afford it, you can experiment and discover new sounds that even today are relatively unknown. I've heard of strange and bizarre head combinations for some reason working well, and giving just the right sound for the occasion. For example, certain heads like ebony pinstripes have a lower fundamental pitch, and others like a fiberskyn have a medium fundamental pitch - so by combining the qualities of each you could create a hybrid tone between dark and medium pitches. Or, you could look for a dark sounding batter and have a dark sounding resonant head and just have a dark pitch. Since both heads naturally have a sweet spot in the same tuning area, there's less effort required to get the top and bottom heads singing as one. Personally i'm using a bright batter and bright resonant, to go for a more lively and cutting tom and snare sound.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I think you mean resonant, not resistant. Resonant heads are the ones used on the bottom, and like their name implies are in charge of resonance, as well as additional properties like volume and sustain - they are an extension of your batter(the top) head's sound. Pinstripe is a great choice for a batter head, it has a fat but controlled sound due to a dampening ring around the collar and 2 ply construction. I would not recommend a beefy head like a pinstripe for a resonant head, but that doesn't necessarily mean 2 ply heads don't work on the bottom. I have had some success with a pinstripe over an emperor, despite recommendations against doing it. Fortunately for me, a drum I bought was already set up that way so I didn't have to spend any time and money ordering those heads for the test.

With drumheads there's no real definitive rules to follow, you can use anything you want on either side. If you can afford it, you can experiment and discover new sounds that even today are relatively unknown. I've heard of strange and bizarre head combinations for some reason working well, and giving just the right sound for the occasion. For example, certain heads like ebony pinstripes have a lower fundamental pitch, and others like a fiberskyn have a medium fundamental pitch - so by combining the qualities of each you could create a hybrid tone between dark and medium pitches. Or, you could look for a dark sounding batter and have a dark sounding resonant head and just have a dark pitch. Since both heads naturally have a sweet spot in the same tuning area, there's less effort required to get the top and bottom heads singing as one. Personally i'm using a bright batter and bright resonant, to go for a more lively and cutting tom and snare sound.
    Good points Russ, I've heard people talk of using batters for Reso heads so I gave it a try to help tame my floor tom. I put an EC2 SST coated head on the reso and Remo Clear Emperor on the batter and it gives a nice controlled sound and the sustain was shortened to my liking.

Also tried it on the toms except I use my Aquarian Super 2's as the reso, emps on the batter and it gave a nice thuddy classic rock sound, great for recording but probably not a good idea for live situations.

I have one coated Ambassador thats a 12" can't for the life of me find the others...anyway used it as a reso with the Super 2 and results were a nice warm tone with a short sustain.

I'm still experimenting with all the heads I've bought in the past or got from previous purchases...it's been fun and a good learning experience.

i
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumm3rboy View Post
    yeah that's what i'm planning on doing ambassadors on the bottom and pinstripe on the top i just found a really cheap pinstripe so i was wondering if that would work as the resistant so yeah thanks!
    I think you mean to say resonant when youre saying resistant.

Pinstripes would be a very heave resonant head and I would not suggest them on the bottoms. usually the bottom head is a Single ply head. Pinstripes go on top. but ambassadors can go on top or bottom.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I tried something similar and it made for a "dead" tom. It sounded better without that double ply res. Keep the "pins" as batters. FYI: any beat up, used , even single ply batter is not a good reso! It's been stretched for tuning and then beaten with a stick-not about to be a nice, vibrating res head, by any means.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

pins work as resos, it just makes the sound a thicker, or darker with less sustain
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris