Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Kit and Why

User Info Menu

Question Best Kit and Why

Hi Guys and Girls.

This is simple, what made you get your kit under these headings?

Manufacturer:

Material (maple etc.):

Finish:

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals):

Reason you got it when you did:

thanks guys and girls!!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

i was looking at mid range priced kits when my local shop owner offered me the pearls at a good price and let me finance it over a years time. i could not refuse. the other kit he offerd me was an 8pc yamaha oak custom shell pack. i chose the pearls because they looked and sounded beautiful and came with rack and hardware, aswell as he threw in a zbt pack and xs20 effects pack.
    manufacturer - pearl-masters mlx
    material - all maple - 6ply 7mm
    finish - natural laquer
    price - 3,800 for 12 pc kit, rack, dw5000 dbl pedal and cheap cymbals.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 07-30-2007 at 06:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: C&C Custom drums

Material (maple etc.): 8 ply Maple toms & 10 ply mable kick

Finish: natural wood finish

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals): $2000

Reason you got it when you did: I had been playing a vintage 1979 Ludwig Octaplus (whiddled down to a 5 piece) and was using some of the larger toms on the kit. However, the octaplus has thos 1970's concert toms and as I got more experience with drumming I realized that it wasn't producing the full sound I really wanted. So after looking at some of the major manufacturer, I realized in order to reproduce the large toms and odd sized kick I had I was going to have to go custom. C&C was the best for the price, and had a great reputation. Tada!!!!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Gretsch

Material (maple etc.): 6 ply Maple shells with natural interiors

Finish: "Deep Amber"

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals): Shell pack: $699.00

I bought a ddrum D2 kit when I thought I might have the interest, and the talent to play a full kit. When I realized that I did have the talent, and the burning desire, I decided to upgrade to a kit that would inspire my development. Since my son had told me that he would like to play drums, too, I decided to save my starter kit for my son, and after much quality research, I narrowed my choices to a Sonor Force 3005, and the Gretsch Catalina maple. I chose the Gretsch.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Pearl

Material (maple etc.): 100% Maple

Finish: "Green Burst"

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals): $3400 AUD

I'd just finished High School and my parents had been promising to buy me a new kit for a couple of years. They finally said they would buy me one if I scored well on my UAI. So after doing my research, I chose the beautiful kit I have today.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Kent

Material: 1ply reinforced cardboard with dual-action glue seams

Finish: Greenish-yellow (like duck doo-doo)

Price: $39.95

Reason you got it when you did: Looked like a good quality drumset.

User Info Menu

and you all better not diss drummers kit, mine looks just like his.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

I've wanted one of those for years! They're so rare how did you get your hands on one??

If I can't get that sweet cardboard I might try to get a set of buckets. Almost as nice!!!!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: SONOR

Material (maple etc.): 9-ply birch/maple German shells,
    lugs are threaded to attach ISS mounts, and accessories.

Finish: Cherry Stain

Price (just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals): Stole it - nah, just kidding. 5-piece kit with all new Evans heads (G1 & G2) plus Tama Roadpro Hardware (bd pedal, hat stand, boom and straight cymbal stand) $875.00 including shipping from PA to CT. When new, this set sold for over $2,000. for just the shell pack. There's a 6-piece in Natural on Ebay right now for $1,499. Buy It Now and a 5-piece shell pack in Emerald Green for $1,250. Buy It Now. Like I said, Stole it.

Reason you got it when you did: I had played (with a band) a few years ago on a Sonor Force 2001 kit that I loved but sold. My wife kept bugging me to get another kit and get into another band ('cuz she knew how much I loved it and had missed playing). I was searching for a replica of my Force set and literally stumbled across this "find" about 25 pages into a web search. Called the drumshop that had it advertised, asked all kinds of questions (probably drove the rep crazy!) and now I own it and am so glad I bought it. Truly awesome, awesome set.
    Last edited by Stix518; 07-30-2007 at 08:51 PM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Drummer, that is some serious money to be spending. Must have used an entire Penny Jar on that!
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Pearl

Material: Mahogany (i know, it's not birch)

Finish: Black Burst

Price for the main kit: $995

Reason I got it when I did: I was gigging with an electronic set and it just did'nt have the "presence" of a real kit. When I first saw it, my jaw hit the floor at how drop dead gorgeous it was. And it don't sound half bad either....
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

TALKIN BOUT "THE CARDBOARD KIT".....I USED A 2x4 ON A CARDBOARD BOX FOR A BASSDRUM TRACK....WOW,,,,,

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Drum Workshop

Material (maple etc.): 6ply %100 maple

Finish: White Moire (satin wrap)with brass hardware

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals): I paid enough.....

Reason you got it when you did: It was time for an upgrade.
    Last edited by middleman; 09-17-2007 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: PDP

Material (maple etc.): Maple

Finish: Charcoal fade

Price for the main kit: $1895

Reason I got it: It was time for an upgrade and it was the best deal for the money

User Info Menu

Cool

Manufacturer: Ludwig 3/23/1972

Material: 3ply Poplar/Maple/Mahogany
    Finish:chrome

Price For Kit:$5000

Reason I Got It:had '64 Ludwig Black Oyster Ringo Kit
    Was Heartbroke For Years Missin The 1971 Slingerland Chrome Kit
    I Used To Have So Thru A Drum Collector Phriend We Swapped Out Kits Along Wif Some Zildjians I Wasnt Usin.....even Up,what A Deal
    Now 11 Drums 22 Cymbals Later
    I'm Da Happiest Phrogge In Da Pond!
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 01-17-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Ludwig 3/23/1972

Material: 3ply Poplar/maple/mahogany

Finish:chrome

Price For Kit:$5000
    Woww....5 thousand bucks ??? And it was born in 1972...
    Awesome dude...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: PDP/DW

Material: Maple

Finish: Candy Apple Red Laquer

Kit: $2,000 for base kit and upgraded DW 5000/9000 series Hardware less
    Cymbals

Why: I had a friend with a DW collectors kit that I loved the sound of but I could not justify the cost of the DW to my wife and family for no more than I was going to playout with it. However my original intentions for playing out infrequently have taken on a life of their own and I find myself playing out anymore about six to seven times a month. So I purchased what I thought was the closest drum to the collectors. It has been a really good kit, and having played side by side to my friends DW collectors on a couple of occasions, and we use the exact same heads, I can honestly say there is little to no differance in sound with the exception of the snare drums. The DW has what is called a 10 and 6 (which is 10ply shell with 6 ply re-rings and it sounds really good. Much better than the snare that came with my kit. But that is really the only appreciable difference in sound betweent the two kits.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-17-2008 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

This was my specification for a kit:
    1. Made by a well known,trustworthy manafacturer(hence mapex)
    2. Sounds good enough to gig with
    3.hard wearing
    4. Must include decent quality cymbals(got the paiste 101 pack free:D)
    5. must be below £400

Mapex QR with free paiste 101 cymbals ticks all the boxes
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Gretsch

Material: Birch

Finish: Red Cherry Lacquer

Price: $750.00

Reason you got it when you did: Pro kit at an intermediate kit price. US Company. I bought this kit 3 years ago. Best 3 year of drumming I’ve had.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Tama Rockstar

Material: 7ply phillipine mahogany, 1 ply basswood

Finish: Midnight Blue

Price: Back in 99' $900

Reason you got it when you did: I had a very nice yamaha 9pc but it took up so much room. I went to a local drum shop to see about getting a newer 5pc. and played all the kits, the tama sounded amazing out of the box and alot of my favorite drummers use tama, so i saved up and bought it. Been playing it since jan. 2000 and nothing has broken. Now im sold on Tama and will be looking to upgrade this year.

User Info Menu

Sometimes you just get lucky. I bought the set I play today back in 1964. Ludwig Classics in Red Sparkle with the Supraphonic 400 snare. It is maple and polar shells with maple reinforced rings. Today, 44 years later, the Red Sparkle wrap looks brand new and is still tight...no splits or upliftting. The chrome snare has some slight pitting. The toms, 13" and 16", are in great shape as is the 20"x16" bass drum. In the early 1970"s, I added an 18"x16" floor tom in same sparkle finish. Although I still have my original cymbal stands and SpeedKing pedal, I have upgraded to double braced chrome stands and now use a Tama Iron Cobra PowerGlide single pedal. The kit cost me $500 in 1964. Recently, Ludwig reissused this same kit, with slightly different shell sizes, under the Legacy name. My original 4 pc. kit now costs about $4500. w/o cymbals and hardware. I play with a very good 17 pc. big band and I have to say that my drums sound fantastic and the guys around town always drop jaws whenever they see/hear them.

User Info Menu

Manufacturer:Pearl - well recognised name - Reference Kit

Material (maple etc.):
    Some African Mahogony, some Maple, some mixed.
    Solid and LOUD

Finish:Crystal rain - Looks UNREAL ( to me )

Price(just for the first main kit, not incl. upgrade and cymbals):
    $5000.00 Aussie

Reason you got it when you did: Could finally afford a top of the range kit
    Last edited by Wotto; 01-17-2008 at 10:51 PM.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Ludwig Birch Classics. The Bass drum I actually bought in the mid eighties as an extra bass drum. Recovered it 20 yrs. later in gold sparkle. Then I bought a few gold sparkle toms to go with it. I love the sound of birch. I played on a friends granstars a few times back in the late eighties and wanted some ever since. Birch=wham,wham, wham,...NOT the group wham by the way. The bass drum cost about 100 bucks. The toms were......I don't remember actually. 13" 16" toms, then later 14"ft.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Um, anybody remember Remo drums??? I know the great T.B. played them but...

I think Remo drums where the reason Remo created the PTS drum heads...

This original post was a good one Drummer!

User Info Menu

Manufacturer: Tama Rockstar Custom

Material: 7ply phillipine mahogany, 1 inner ply basswood

Finish: Amber Fade (I think that's what its called. Its gorgeous anyway )

Price: I got it including hardware and a starter set of Sabian B8's for £600. An absolute steal in my opinion. All I did was drop the name of my teacher at the time and they knocked off about £300. Haha!

Reason you got it when you did: This is the first and only drum kit I've bought. I had just finished Lower 6th year not sure what that is in American terms. I was 17, it was nearly 4 years ago. That's weird actually now I think about it. It feels like I've been drumming for way longer! My teacher had mentioned he thinks highly of all the major Eastern drum companies (he plays Mapex drums) and I dunno, I just really liked the look and the sound of the Tama. I must be honest, it was a few years ago I was a bit younger and a bit stupider and a major part of the reason I chose the Tama over the other similar range kits in the store was because I'm a massive Metallica fan, still am. I know its a bit of a silly reason to pick a manufacturer because Lars Ulrich uses them but what the heck, its an awesome kit for the price and I'm sure it will serve me for many years yet. One day I'd like to maybe upgrade to a Starclassic Maple or Starclassic Bubinga but that won't be for a while! I just upgraded to Zildjian A Customs and that has pretty much crippled me financially! Hehe.
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie