Thread: Which drums?

User Info Menu

Default Which drums?

I'm getting back into drums after being out for a very long time. My budget is kinda small, but I have found a set of pearl exports and a couple yamaha drums too, which is better? Like I said I've been out for about 15 years and I know drums have changed and I thought you guys could give some insight on which has better hardware and is the better quality drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which drums?

The green ones. Get the green ones! Those have the best hardware!

Seriously... hey, welcome to the forum man. I see it's your first post. I'll let some of the other guys answer your specific question. They know the drum brands better than me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The green ones. Get the green ones! Those have the best hardware!

Seriously... hey, welcome to the forum man.
    Hey, get the red ones!
    Now, prepare yourself, info is coming.....wait for it, wait for it....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I like to welcome all new members with this...

Welcome to Drum Chat, Boomah.

Drum Chat is, by far, the the best online drum forum. It's more than just fellow drummers and percussionists sharing knowledge and experience. It's a friendly community where friendships are formed and built in a fun and also relaxing atmosphere. There are no egos here and questions, no matter what they may be, are answered with respect. This is a safe community, built on trust. It is that trust and mutual respect that allows for discussions that, at times, go beyond drumming and touch on relatively personal issues where we are here to help uplift and encourage one another. Drum Chat welcomes newcomers with open arms and treats long-time members with the respect they have earned. From beginners to veteran drummers, young and old, male or female, this is the place to be.

Again, welcome. We look forward to your input and getting to know you.

Now to answer your question. I don't particularly care for Pearl. Why? Because my first experience playing Pearl drums wasn't that good. I didnt like the sound or the hardware (and they were Pearl Exports). A couple drummers that I like play Yamaha...so that would be my choice between the two.

You are going to get a lot od opinions and advice and some members may even say to look at other sets but remember these are just opinions. Your budget, eyes and ear will tell you what is best for you.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

What is your budget? Would it include hardware and cymbals? Your best bet would be to troll E-Bay for a used set. Or Craigs List if your near a decent sized town. That way you would get some decent bang for your buck. A lot of times they include hardware and cymbals. Plus right now it is a buyers market what with the economy being in the toilet. Drums are a lot different than buying most other items. Most every used kit I have come across is usually in near new, or excellent condition cause normally people take great care of their drum kits. Welcome aboard the star ship DC.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

My budget is under $1000 if possible, not much I know, but being a single dad with a house payment and truck payment I have to get what I can for now and upgrade later. I have been looking on craig's list and ebay, it's where I found the pearl exports and yamaha stage customs, both are $700, but like I said it's been 15 years since I've played seriously.

User Info Menu

Welcome to dc! If you want a good deal on cymbals, hardware, heads, and drums all under that - you might be better off looking for used sets on ebay and craigs like you've been doing. Otherwise you could shoot for a shell pack for now and when you can add in the hardware and cymbals later on. Just depends if you already have anything else or not.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've actually owned both Pearl exports and Yamaha Stage Customs. Personally I'd lean for Yamaha stage customs over Pearl Exports but that's just me.

Do these kits include cymbals? $700 seems pretty pricey for either kit without cymbals.

Include some more details about what each kit includes and i'm sure you'll get a ton of advice.

The economy isn't great, so you might want to keep watching Craigs list for a bit. You should be able to get a nicer Mapex, Gretsch or Sonor kit for that kind of money. I think those brands might offer a little more bang for the buck. I've seen Mapex Pro-M kits going around here for $500 and they really sound great (much better than exports)

As far as cymbals go, I think the best bang for the buck cymbals are Paiste PST5s personally. I actually prefer Zildjians in the higher end cymbals but a set of PST5s is really hard to beat if you're on a budget. I just sold a complete set of PST5s for $225 (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" crash, 8" splash, 10" splash).
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

$700 includes everything in both kits, the pearl's have 4 Zildjians and the yamaha has two paiste's, but both kits include everything.

User Info Menu

Used seems to be your best shot.. There's some good sets around that price that'll come with starter hardware, but usually not with cymbals too - in the new markets. Ideally you'll want at least a set of hats, a ride, and a pair of crashes to start you off.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Used sets are what I'm looking at, there's no way I can afford a new set right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kydrummer View Post
    My budget is under $1000 if possible...
    Hey Ky, welcome to the forum. That's a pretty good start. I know it's been 15 years since you last made an effort to play a kit right? Then what's the hurry? Take your time and invest wisely. Buy you kit in stages. If it's a pro-level kit you desire you may find yourself forced to purchase in phases.

I invested in a used all birch Pearl Session shell pack for $699 USD and then slowly started buying and sonically matching my hihats, ride and crashes. If you end up buying a kit with hardware and cymbals included for under $1000, you might not like what's presented to you by the seller at the time of purchase. Don't go cheap budget sheet metal cymbals thinking that you'll replace everything down the line. In my opinion, take the plunge with the 'real deal' and start with a decent used pro-level kit and build it up to pro-level cymbals.

User Info Menu

Out of those two personally I would go with the exports. Im not a big fan of Yamahas hardware.

User Info Menu

The lowdown on those two kits:

1. the exports likely have the better cymbal config
    2. the yamahas are the better drumkit
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I believe the pearl's come with Zildjian ZBT's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kydrummer View Post
    I believe the pearl's come with Zildjian ZBT's
    ZBTs are low end cymbals. At least in my area $700 is WAY over priced. See some examples in my previous post.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Yamaha's come with 2 Paiste 302's

User Info Menu

Haven't done alot of searching yet, but I plan on it friday when I have more time.

User Info Menu

Yeah. Take your time and troll the Bay or Craig's. If you see something that interests you, google the kit's name and search for a review om it to learn the level of the kit. Or ask us again. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash