• DW 9000 Series

12 46.15%
  • Other

4 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pearl Vs Tama Vs DW Vs Other

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Vs Tama Vs DW Vs Other

What hardware do you currently use, or what hardware would you LIKE to use eventually when you have to cash to throw at it?

I'm talking everything from Boom Stands to Thrones to Pedals to Tom/Cymbal stands to cymbal arms...

Leave a comment explaining your choice, and why you made it.

Don't comment on something that you haven't used in the past, cos there is no point. If you use something else like DW 5000 then choose other, give a price, and why you use it compared to other products you tried in its class... etc.
    Last edited by rjf1986; 07-30-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

I use Pearl 1000 and 2000 series equipment, cos it is cheaper that the DW 9000 stuff and it has, in my opinion, sturdier stands (TC-2000, C-1000, H-1000K), easy action pedals (P-2000 'eliminators'). It only cost me €190 for the TC-2000s (per stand, 2 stands) and i believe it was €140-€150 for the HiHat (H-1000K).
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

i use pearl hardware and dw5000 pedals and hi hat.
    my rack has 5 older 800 series boom arms, a 2000 boom arm and 2 clamp stands. my stands setup uses a 1000 straight stand 3 bc1000 booms and 2 bc 2000 booms aswell as a couple pearl clamp stands. snare stand is s2000.
    i have 2 dw5000 hat stands. one is standard 2 leg, the other has switchable left dbl pedal/aux pedal attached to it.
    throne is gibralter.

User Info Menu

Cool Funky, i have a CH-80 arm, and 2 C-1000s, 2 TC-2000s and a D1000S Pearl Throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986 View Post
    Cool Funky, i have a CH-80 arm, and 2 C-1000s, 2 TC-2000s and a D1000S Pearl Throne.
    i need new tom arms all the way around. the ones that came with my rack are cheap gibralter stuff. i want the new uni-lock short tom arms.

User Info Menu

I use all the Pearl hardware that originally came with my kit (I think its 1000 series) and I've bought the DR503C Curved rack as well. In my opinion Pearl's Hardware is great value and its as sturdy as anything. I'd really like to try the new Gyro-lock tom arms but first I have some other things to buy.

I've heard DW's Hardware is great, so when I have the cash I might look into that. But for now, all Pearl is the way I am going.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    I use all the Pearl hardware that originally came with my kit (I think its 1000 series) and I've bought the DR503C Curved rack as well. In my opinion Pearl's Hardware is great value and its as sturdy as anything. I'd really like to try the new Gyro-lock tom arms but first I have some other things to buy.

I've heard DW's Hardware is great, so when I have the cash I might look into that. But for now, all Pearl is the way I am going.

HB58
    yes, gyro-lock is what i was thinkin. but the uni-lock would still be an improvement over what i have now.

User Info Menu

I heard tama's stuff is really really good. But pearl has pretty much copied it. So im gonna go with Pearl. The top end stuff seems really really well thought out and logical.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

For hardware: Pearl, for pedals however he DW 9000's are a lot better than the Pearl 2000's (Eliminators).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I heard tama's stuff is really really good. But pearl has pretty much copied it. So im gonna go with Pearl. The top end stuff seems really really well thought out and logical.
    huh? yes tama has always made great hardware but i wouldnt say pearl copied it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    For hardware: Pearl, for pedals however he DW 9000's are a lot better than the Pearl 2000's (Eliminators).
    agreed. elims to me feel wobbly and if you dont clean them (often) will squeek like a mo fo.

User Info Menu

pearl stands and holders , gibraltar Drop clutch and Throne, Gibraltar avenger 2 double pedals....
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

The Gyro lock system is reall sweet. so is the wingLoc release system, both are really good ideas, which make life a WHOLE lot easier if you are tech-ing.

User Info Menu

Quick question here.

A shop that is the best bet for getting musical equipment near me is running a deal on P-1002 double bass pedals, down from £200 to £150. They aint eliminators, but eliminators would cost like twice as much as that. Having said that they seem sturdy and responsive and pretty fast. I just applied pressure with my hand and they shot forwards.

What do you think? Deal or no deal? :p
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

The P1002s are nice pedals, i used a P1000 for a long time, keep em clean and they are worth the money.

That being said, £150 is near the RRP for the Double Pedal, but it is good all the same.

If you are looking for a pedal and have that money, keep in mind they retail about €180 - €200 over here, so it sounds just about right at that price.

If you have the money spare and you need a pedal asap, then it is a good buy, But if you are not in Dire need of a pedal, save a bit more and get the Elims, a DW9000, or a Tama Iron Cobra, the ICs seem to be very popular actually. I think it is the only bit of Tama harware that is raved about!

There are gonna be better pedals out there though

User Info Menu

Lots of peoples recommend Iron Cobras to me. I'll hold out for them I guess. I don't need it drastically now, even if my current pedal drives me insane; I waited 5 months for a new kit and I'll wait 5 months for a new pedal! Oh yeah xD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I have to admit that I'm fairly impressed with the PDP 900 series hardware. Seems like a pretty good balance between price and quality. The hardware is sustantial, with adjustments on the hi-hat, and memory locks on all the hardware.

So, I'm an "other" guy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: Pearl Vs Tama Vs DW Vs Other

most of my hardware is cheap sound percussion stuff. it came free with my kit. So far the only hardware i've upgraded was to a Pearl 1000 double tom stand, and this thing is built like a brick uh.. poop house. it'll hold ME up.

User Info Menu

i LOVE my eliminators =]

User Info Menu

like some other guys said, the dw will be a bi pricey, and the pearl 2000 are very good!

User Info Menu

pearl will always win. but dw has better suspension
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    pearl will always win. but dw has better suspension
    Then why the questions about retrofitting Pearl suspension systems to your pdp
    kick drum? Just curious..

I agree with Pearl being the best HW. The 900 series stuff that came stock with my Vision kit is just amazingly sturdy..and heavyduty!

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 09-13-2009 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I use pearl, tama, mapex hardware, DW pedals and hat stand,
    they all make good high end stuff. No problems with any of them.

User Info Menu

For me it's either DW or Pearl. I love both. Pedals, I love my DW5Ks and my Elims. I like Pearl's cymbal stands better- cheaper. And the mounting hardware is not interchangeable between the two so I kinda have to go with each companies own, respectively.

Thrones though, Pork Pie all the way!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!