Thread: Need advise please

User Info Menu

Default Need advise please

I have the opportunity to buy a 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Ash with a Tama snare and Gretsch's iso system on the toms for $300.00. I have only seen the pictures and it looks nice. The seller did gig with it and recorded an album with it. I am going to go on youtube to listen to some of the work and hear the kit.

My questions are, is Ash a good wood? How does it sound? Any help would be great.

Thanks all.
    TAMA- '99 Starclassic, '86 Granstar, '88 Granstar,
    '93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- late 50's Round Badge
    Zildjian K & K Custom (with a couple A's and a Wuhan China)
    Evans
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra double pedal
    Starcast mounting system (including floor toms and snare)
    Hardware- TAMA and Gibraltar
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy, Wurlitzer

"How can you impress the chicks if the chicks can do it themselves?!!" ~ from: kay-gee

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advise please

ash is boomy and has low end resonance,(not crisp) they are cheaper materials hence the low price

im sure it will be a nice kit but i would never by a kit for the sake of a brand name

personally i would get a maple cat not a ash cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    ash is boomy and has low end resonance,(not crisp) they are cheaper materials hence the low price

im sure it will be a nice kit but i would never by a kit for the sake of a brand name

personally i would get a maple cat not a ash cat
    Thanks for the advice.
    '93 Rockstar
    Evans
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra double pedal

"How can you impress the chicks if the chicks can do it themselves?!!" ~ from: kay-gee

User Info Menu

Ash is a coarse grain wood, it makes a better veneer for exterior finishing than it does a musical shell. It can sometimes be obtained inexpensively, and other times not. Tonally, ash is bright toned and does not have much sustain to speak of - it's like birch without as much lows. Ash kits are relatively few and far between, the only companies I know of that did them are Ddrum, Gretsch, and now Crush(there may be more companies). I recommend a medium or lower tuning with some warm or dark heads to tame their brightness a bit. Try before you buy!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks Russ. I'm having second thoughts now. I was going to get them because of the price (I have seen the same kits go for $500-$650) and flip them. But now after hearing a couple things I'm not sure I want to bother.
    '93 Rockstar
    Evans
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra double pedal

User Info Menu

drumsetsnide, when the Catalina Ash kit came out, it briefly replaced the Birch kit. It didn't take long for the Birch kit to come back, though. I imagine that drummers were simply more familiar with sound of Birch than the sound of Ash. Ash has been a tone wood in guitars for quite some time, though.

$300 is a good price, if the kit is in good shape. Flipping it, though, might be more difficult. You'd have to find someone that prefers/understands the Ash tone.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Thanks Russ. I'm having second thoughts now. I was going to get them because of the price (I have seen the same kits go for $500-$650) and flip them. But now after hearing a couple things I'm not sure I want to bother.
    Trust your ears, they won't lead you wrong. I don't think they're a bad sounding kit, just an acquired taste for a specific type of sound. Youtube videos can be deceptive, you never know how they tune the kits or what room it's in, what records it and what quality they use, etc. If possible i'd sit down and play a set, but if that's not happening then the videos and audio are a fair alternative to get a ballpark idea.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments