Thread: Bearing Edges.

User Info Menu

Question Bearing Edges.

Does anyone here have a regular timetable where they take off the rim and strip down all the hardware, clean and polish the Drum, Hardware and Cymbals and then put it all back up again?

I do mine every fortnight, on Saturday afternoon, and the amount of crap and dirt and dust that accumulates is amazing!!

Is anyone here a clean freak too?
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

I never clean mine. When i get a new kit i might but my kit isnt very good so i dont bother.

User Info Menu

Before every show
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Wow, I thought I was a sucker for being clean. But rtf, you take it to a whole new level. I clean my kit every once in a while with my Enjo, but don't actually take it all apart to do it.

Once a fortnight seems like too short an interval. Maybe I haven't been interested just because of the sheer magnitude of disassembling my kit.

BTW: What did this topic have to do with bearing edges?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Some articles recommend removing rims on a regular basis (although not weekly) to wipe down the bearing edges. I've seen it said that you would be surprised at how much grime can accumulate on the bearing edges, under the drumheads.

There probably should be a regular cleaning routine for our drums (just as with any other instrument), but the truth is that our cars should be cleaned regularly, too. There is a comparison there!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

even though my kits cheap, i try and keep it as shinny as i can get it, cleaning the finish and the rims of the drums, but every week? nope.

User Info Menu

I had a six piece set of Tama rockstar drums. I remember never cleaning the bearing edges. I think I had those guys for six years. They still sounded great when I sold them.

I guess I probably should have but I really think people don't clean them that often. Maybe every other year or so

User Info Menu

i have a polished chrome kit...OF COURSE its kept clean....i rotate drums and poilish one every night....i have an 8 piece so everything is cleane about once a week...i normally do the small tom (10'') and my snare drum the same night
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko View Post
    i have a polished chrome kit...OF COURSE its kept clean....i rotate drums and poilish one every night....i have an 8 piece so everything is cleane about once a week...i normally do the small tom (10'') and my snare drum the same night
    i will have a chrome kit the day they invent the self cleaning drumset. they've always been cool but but damn hard to keep shiny. i only clean mine every month or so. or for any higher profile gig that might be video taped.

User Info Menu

ya...ten inutes after cleaning it i normally have finger prints all over the shadowed side of the drum, the side that wouldnt face an audience, and my cymbals are horrid after they get cleaned...from where i choke em all the time
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I clean my kit regularly, I check everything and wipe down before every show. when I change heads which is reasonably often. If the coating flakes even slighthly or I get a dent no matter how minor I change heads before the next show.. My son plays and has a kit so I give him my slightly used heads. But when I change my heads I carefully check my bearing edges then and coat and polish them with bees wax. I really don't know how much difference it makes I just read somewhere years ago the it was a good thing to do. My kit always sounds good so I am assuming that it works.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 12-05-2007 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

i know my friends have connected hard to my abearing edges before (needless to say they dont play the kit anymore)
    and im a pretty experienced wood worker so i have had to refinish my edges a few times

i incresed the angle a little bit on purpose and they have alot more punch now
    i like it =]

User Info Menu

Clean mine every time I change the heads. Looks like there a right few OCD'ers in here. :D
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit