Thread: PDP X7 Series

User Info Menu

Default PDP X7 Series

I saw this set in the new arrivals section of a GC catalog and I'm really interested. Perhaps it's just because of the deal, 8 piece maple I believe for only $700. I just got kind of envious when I thought of how I paid $800 for this 5 piece birch Catalina. Would anyone recommend PDP over Gretsch, because I'm seriously thinking about selling ym kit for this X7. Thanks.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i think you over paid a little on the catalina, but i havnt heard a pdp yet that sounds as nice as a catalina birch. i havnt played an x7 but i didnt care much for the couple maple pdp kits i have played.

User Info Menu

32HB, I am confused. The PDP website lists the X7 as having poplar shell, which would put them on the same level as the Pearl Export. I didn't see anything about maple shells. The Musician's Friend, and Guitar Center websites lists the shells as "hybrid hardwood," not maple. Also I saw only a seven piece kit for $699.

Check into this carefully before selling you current kit. So far, I haven't seen that it would rival a Gretsch Catalina.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I saw the hybrid hardwood thing too, I was just assuming it was maple because that's what I wanted lol. I think that because of GC's anniversary sale they're including the 8" tom free with the set for $700. I also checked out PDP's site, but my computer was screwing up and I could only view pictures and banners. Hmmmmmm, I'm thinking about just purchasing an 8" and 16" tom for my set now rather than buying this X7.

User Info Menu

PDP wont give us a strait awnser what these damned drums are

Theyve told us its a maple/birch hybrid hardwood mix, then they told us it was japanesse oak, then they claimed it was full maple, now their claiming its poplar, while other places are saying its maple

User Info Menu

talk to PDPplayer (Kev) He will know and sus it out for ya
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

good luck finding those add ons. i'm pretty sure the catalina birch was discontinued this year.

User Info Menu

You can still get Catalina add ons for a good price on Musicians Friend

User Info Menu

The PDP's are worth it. They are great drums. Just please to God get another finish other than the orange sparkle, my eyes hurt every time I looked at it at AUDW this year.

User Info Menu

Default x7

they keep saying its differant wood because they dont want to admit its probably some blend of crap i was thinking about getting one too but since i cant get a straight answer on what it is im not going to get it

User Info Menu

Fair enough .IF they cant tell you WHAT IT IS..... (Its a simple enough question) I wouldnt trust the company either
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I think I've made my decision about this product and I'm gonna start saving up to get it. Sorry, bu the reviews are just too good, the deal is too awesome, Kevin endorses PDP too much lol, plus I've got a buyer for my Catalina at $500.

User Info Menu

I say let PDP Player answer this one if he sees this post .hehe Blessings....
    Last edited by middleman; 09-15-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

dude ive played the x7 and its nice, and pdps could be birch, maple, or a mix, ask about the kit, if you buy it from a gituar center it will have a sticker on the side saying witch one it is. ex: all maple shels (the kit i bought) or all birch shells (the same kit different collor, i didnt buy)
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound