Thread: Portable Line Arrays

User Info Menu

Default Portable Line Arrays

Has anyone seen/heard/played with these things. Tiny little units which can stack upto a 3600 watt pa system. Highly light and portable and self powered. Expencive as heck though. I was getting together a 1000/2000 watt jbl system together but now im thinking of hocking it and getting some hk elements.

Someone told me you can only stack upwards though? Side by side can cut out sound from the speaker your next to?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: Portable Line Arrays

Essentially they are a modular and active speaker system, designed for portability and ease of use. It's said they can be set up and ready to go in under a minute, and have a very minimal footprint. I would think that being an active speaker it would actually become heavier, but I guess that's not the case here. They require no cables except for an IEC lead, and whatever input you want going into them from your board, you just connect them like legos vertically and flip the power on - not much else to fuss with. They are definitely not cheap though, i've seen some from Bose go up to $2500 and $1000 seemed to be the least expensive. I imagine if you do a lot of gigs they will pay for themselves in time though and cut set-up and tear-down time by a lot. Just know that you're paying the higher price for that convenience.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Portable Line Arrays

Thats why our band wants one. Make touring more compact. With a upright bass doesnt leave much room for anything else. How about hiw big a system you need to support a band with one?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters