Thread: Jazz kit advice

User Info Menu

Default Jazz kit advice

I've really been getting the itch to start playing some jazz. I'd like to start watching eBay / Craigslist and find a nice kit.

I'm guessing that I'll be looking for a 3 piece kit with a 12 inch rack tom and probably a 14" floor tom. But there are so many bass drum sizes. What would be considered the most traditional size Jazz bass drum size?

I'm hoping to find a good deal on a higher quality kit. So far I'm considering DW Jazz or Yamaha Absolute. What other manufacturers/lines should I be cosidering?
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz kit advice

Commonly an 18" kick is suitable. DW and Yamaha are great brands, and I know I'm biased but look at Tama. lol Also consider the Ludwig Epic.

Hope this helps!
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

When I think of Jazz, I think of a few distinct makers although most of them have jazz sized kits available. Slingerland, Rogers, Ludwig, and Gretsch. What i'd be looking for regardless of what company you choose would be a 18x14(although I have heard of 16" diameter being used sometimes as well) kick, 10x7/10x8 or 12x8 rack tom, 14x14 floor tom. Snare i'd go with a 5.5x14 or 6.5x14. I would outfit the kit with something like g1's or ambassadors, for an open and lively vibe.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

+1
    John W. ("J-Dub")

5pc Tama B/B White Silk

User Info Menu

The typical Manhattan style is 12x8, 14x14, 18x14 typically in birch.
    I recently picked up a DW Jazz series 12x8, 14x14, 20x16. The 20" kick seems more versatile as it can be tuned lower and the Jazz series is built to simulate the old Gretsch round badge drums.
    I think if you went 12, 14 20 in birch you could get a decent kit without breaking the bank
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    I think if you went 12, 14 20 in birch you could get a decent kit without breaking the bank
    Or 12, 14, 18 ..... there's a Silverstar jazz kit on eBay right now for $335 smackaroos. #320977009670
    John W. ("J-Dub")

5pc Tama B/B White Silk

User Info Menu

If you like the DW stuff check out their Pdp American vintage drums. The shells are the same as the classics shell, but with Pdp hardware. They are limited edition so get em while you can.

User Info Menu

You dont really need smaller drums to play jazz. Unless you have like a z custom mega bell ride, you can make whatever equipment you have work. I learned to feather on a 24" kick, and swing on zxt's. And I made it work :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You dont really need smaller drums to play jazz. Unless you have like a z custom mega bell ride, you can make whatever equipment you have work. I learned to feather on a 24" kick, and swing on zxt's. And I made it work :D
    Sure I realize that, and I've actually started playing Jazz on my 7 piece Mapex kit. My saturns are pretty punchy especially how I usually have them tuned. I just really like the idea of having a second kit so I can experiment with all things Jazz (higher tunings, coated or fibersyn heads, smaller drum sizes, etc). I also like the idea of restricting myself to a minimalistic drum setup without having to tear down a bunch of my main kit.

Thanks for the advice from everyone so far. I was planning to watch for a good deal on a used higher end kit but I've been seeing a ton of really good deals on Gretsch Catalina club kits. It's really tempting to just run out and pick one up when I'm seeing used shell pack in the $300 range.

How would a Gretsch Catalina club kit compare to DW or Yamaha Absolute kit as far as shells are concerned? I'll probably decide on hardware seperately so I'm not concerned with that comparison.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

Doc, I just recently bought a Gretsch Renown Rock kit 24,13,16 but also wanted something for smaller gigs. I picked up a Cat Jazz kit and have been blown away with it. The sound quality from the little Cat Jazz kit is awesome. There has been a ton of threads about the woods used in them but the bottom line is how they sound. To me they have that vintage Gretsch sound. More so than the birch or maple kits made by the other companies. The mahogany laun (or whatever) with the Gretsch bearing edges just does a great job of getting that vintage sound.

The Cat Jazz kit sounds so good and is so versital that I'm seriously considering selling my Renown Rock kit. I like them that much. You owe it to yourself to try a set. Good luck. John

User Info Menu

The Sonor Bop kits are fairly affordable, I recently added the 18" kick and 12x8 tom from one of them to my existing Sonor kit. I've got the 18" kick next to a 22x20 and when I do double kick patterns you can hardly tell the difference. The 18x16 kick can be tuned very low if needed and sounds great.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 09-08-2012 at 05:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    doc, i just recently bought a gretsch renown rock kit 24,13,16 but also wanted something for smaller gigs. I picked up a cat jazz kit and have been blown away with it. The sound quality from the little cat jazz kit is awesome. There has been a ton of threads about the woods used in them but the bottom line is how they sound. To me they have that vintage gretsch sound. More so than the birch or maple kits made by the other companies. The mahogany laun (or whatever) with the gretsch bearing edges just does a great job of getting that vintage sound.
    +1
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I've been looking at Gretsch kits and I'm really liking both the new Brooklyn kits and the American Custom kits.

I'm going to do a little more research this weekend.

I heard an American Customm kit with a 12 rack Tom 16 inch floor Tom and 18 inch bass drum. It sounded really good and now I'm not sure if I should be looking for a 16 inch floor Tom or a 14 floor Tom.

User Info Menu

Doc, I think for what you are looking for, and what you are wanting to play the 14inch floor tom would better suit your wants and needs. Not that you couldn't make a 16 inch floor tom work, the 14 just seems to fit in better.
    Last edited by john gerrard; 09-07-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: wrong information

User Info Menu

Are you going to get cymbals too? For the price of a Brooklyn kit or USA customs, you could get a Gretsch Cat Jazz kit and some very nice cymbals. You can tune a kit up or down, switch heads, and get creative with muffling, but your ride cymbal is kind of a one trick pony so to speak.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Are you going to get cymbals too? For the price of a Brooklyn kit or USA customs, you could get a Gretsch Cat Jazz kit and some very nice cymbals. You can tune a kit up or down, switch heads, and get creative with muffling, but your ride cymbal is kind of a one trick pony so to speak.

I own a set a Zildjian As, Zildjian Ks, Zildjian K Custom Darks, Zildjian A Customs, and Paiste 2002s.

I'm leaning towards a higher end kit because I know I'll keep it for a very long time. I've listened to a lot of videos and the Catalina Jazz kits sound great, but the USA Custom and Brooklyn kits sound amazing to me.

User Info Menu

I just listened to a few vids of the Brooklyn series and they do sound great! If I ever played another brand besides Tama it would either be Gretsch or Sonor.
    John W. ("J-Dub")

5pc Tama B/B White Silk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    I own a set a Zildjian As, Zildjian Ks, Zildjian K Custom Darks, Zildjian A Customs, and Paiste 2002s.

I'm leaning towards a higher end kit because I know I'll keep it for a very long time. I've listened to a lot of videos and the Catalina Jazz kits sound great, but the USA Custom and Brooklyn kits sound amazing to me.
    Ahh well yeah if you already got cymbals.. :D

User Info Menu

Ditto on the Sonors.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/