Thread: Low-boy snare stand?

User Info Menu

Default Low-boy snare stand?

Does anyone out there know of anyone who makes a low-boy snare stand? I am looking for something where the bottom of the drum would be about 10" off the ground. I want to put a 14"x14" tom into it and keep it relatively level with how high a regular snare sits. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 09-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Low-boy snare stand?

10" is pretty low. I've read that a Pearl S1000 stand is low but do not know how low. I have a Groove Percussion stand I use for my 14X10" snare and it's approx. 16" up at lowest setting. You may just want to make it a floor tom or modify a stand cutting it down.

User Info Menu

I actually just came up with a decent idea that won't cost me a fortune: I took the basket portion out of the extra stand I have, put a multiclamp as far down on the stand as I could go, and mounted the basket to the multiclamp as low as it would go. I angled the basket a little back over the top of the stand to keep the drum position directly over the stand to keep it more stable. It's not pretty, but it's going in my studio and no one will ever see it, so I guess it's gonna have to do for now.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Good idea! I'm just trying to picture how the basket fits on the multi-clamp....pics!

User Info Menu

And I'm gonna rant for a second: Why does no one make a clamp on floor tom leg conversion? Or at least something that would attach to the tension bolts on the bottom hoop to convert a hanging tom to a floor tom without drilling holes. Seems like there would be a very good market for it. Hanging a 14" tom off a cymbal stand when there is nothing else on the stand is a ridiculous waste of space...
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Good idea! I'm just trying to picture how the basket fits on the multi-clamp....pics!
    My phone is dead at the moment. I'll take a pic when I get home from work tomorrow and post it.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

They used to make a floor tom basket for the old floor toms before they used legs. I've seen it for old 40's vintage kits. It was a Slingerland. But maybe you just started a new marketing idea now too! I like it.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-04-2012 at 11:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    And I'm gonna rant for a second: Why does no one make a clamp on floor tom leg conversion? Or at least something that would attach to the tension bolts on the bottom hoop to convert a hanging tom to a floor tom without drilling holes. Seems like there would be a very good market for it. Hanging a 14" tom off a cymbal stand when there is nothing else on the stand is a ridiculous waste of space...
    You mean like this?

Many people make them. Gibralter makes really nice ones.
    Just google "floor tom basket"
    Most of them DO attach to the lugs like a rim-mount system but for your bottom rim and with floor tom legs instead of a mount.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    This is exactly what you are looking for. The Gauger RIMS Dynamount floor tom mounting system. Seen these on ebay several times over the years.

And some info in regards to sizes etc. -

The new DynaMount® floor tom system allows the maximum sound from any floor mounted drum. The DynaMount™ frame has been re-engineered to fit with absolute, perfect alignment for maximum projection. Unlike older, full circle, non-adjustable, steel floor tom systems that "maybe" fits some drums some of the time, the new DynaMount® FTS™ has several critical adjustments that allow a perfect fit all the time on any drum. Since alignment is significant to achieving the ultimate resonance, the newly designed mount solves the major problems associated with the older style units.

The DynaMount® alloy band now comes in two halves with adjustable sliding flanges and three leg mounting plates designed to use standard leg mounting hardware**. "Splice connectors" ,designed specifically for the system by GPI, are used to secure the two alloy bands together and permit variable radial alignment at two 180 degree opposed points on the circle.

This means correct placement of the flanges and true circumference conformity to the drum shell.

In short, the DynaMount® FTS™ is the definitive word in suspension.

NOTES:

• Three flanges are supplied for 6" through 12" sizes. Four flanges are supplied with 13" through 16" sizes. For functional reasons, the addition of more flanges to the specific size RIMS® Mounts is not recommended!!

• Floor toms should be measured for "out of round" condition prior to purchasing the DynaMount® System. DynaMount® suspension hardware is produced to very close tolerances (within .020 thousandths of an inch) to match perfect circumfrence. "Out of round" drum shells may prohibit the DynaMount® suspension system from functioning properly.

• Inexpensive steel "knock-off"copies of the DynaMount® suspension system have been known to damage drums by severely pulling or warping the shell out of shape, due to incorrect circumference quality control during manufacture. Any mounting system that encircles a drum MUST follow the radius or circumference of the drum precisely in order for the suspension mounting to function properly and avoid damage to the drum!

• It is recommended that you check your floor tom for any 'out of round' condition of the shell. Our DynaMount system is made to match the exact circumference of your drum and designed to fit within .040 thousandths of an inch of a perfect radius. If your drum is out of round our Floor Tom System may not work properly. This has been a problem especially with newer floor toms so we recommend you measure across the drum's shell at 3 or 4 places to check for any problems concerning the condition of the drum's shell. Maximum allowed distortion of the drum’s radius is .5” to 3/8” inch.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    This is exactly what you are looking for. The Gauger RIMS Dynamount floor tom mounting system. Seen these on ebay several times over the years.
    -
    Haha. Though your post has a lot more detail and explanation, I must say,...

I BEAT YOU TOO IT!!! NAH NAH NA BOO BOO!!!
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Drumbum1 I use a the Pearl legs that come on the floor tom and I can lower the tom lower than my snare and my tom is 16x16 so I don't see what it is you are talking about unless your snare is close to the floor that means you would have to bend over to play it. Are you a midget or something LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    Haha. Though your post has a lot more detail and explanation, I must say,...

I BEAT YOU TOO IT!!! NAH NAH NA BOO BOO!!!
    Lol well played sir hahaha

For what it's worth, I had to go and answer the phone mid-post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Drumbum1 I use a the Pearl legs that come on the floor tom and I can lower the tom lower than my snare and my tom is 16x16 so I don't see what it is you are talking about unless your snare is close to the floor that means you would have to bend over to play it. Are you a midget or something LOL
    He means converting a hanging tom to a legged tom.

User Info Menu

He means converting a hanging tom to a legged tom.
    Oh I see , then why not just purchase the floor tom legs kit would'nt that be cheaper than buying that contraption just saying

User Info Menu

Oh I see , then why not just purchase the floor tom legs kit would'nt that be cheaper than buying that contraption just saying
    Well you would have to drill the shell I suppose. Using a suspension mount wouldn't compromise the shell.

User Info Menu

Well you would have to drill the shell I suppose. Using a suspension mount wouldn't compromise the shell.
    Yeah I guess so but I thought most floor toms came with legs or is a option.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-05-2012 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

That Dynamount is exactly what I had in mind. That is the first one I've ever seen. $120 actually isn't too bad for a conversion like that. Thank you for the info!

I'm converting a 14" hanging tom to a floor tom and do not want to drill holes in it. You never know, I might want to switch it back later on down the road so I don't want to do a permanent modification to the drum.

I think my snare stand modification is going to do the trick though. I'll find out tonight when I get a chance to bash away on the kit. It seems pretty stable and got the tom down where I want it.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

There's no backed evidence to suggest what they're saying about tom cradles. Gauger percussion makes strong stuff, but it's really expensive and you can find other variations of it at diy suppliers that accomplish the same task for less. The reason for cradles to exist is you can make a hanging tom into a floor tom without messing with the shell like said earlier, this is a messy job and involves a bit of measuring and research to get it right. Cradles let you switch back and forth from floor tom to rack tom at will without changing the drum, however there are downsides. They are not cheap, at around $75 new but fortunately legs are included in most occasions. They create a slight gap due to their ring shaped support around the drum, not a huge one but keep it in mind. And unlike with Gibraltar's d.s.s. tom isolation mounts it's a full circle not half; so you can't avoid this gap no matter where you position the floor toms. Unless of course one floor tom is fair bit deeper than the other, if they are on opposite sides, or you just have one of them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments