Thread: Need second kit buying advice..

User Info Menu

Question Need second kit buying advice..

Hey guys, ^^^in the past I have made several threads here about drum kits I should buy, but now I have a part time job and earning at least $120-$200 a month. I'm looking at a drum kit for under $2,500 but even that price is pushing it. I'd probably go $2,000 or under. But the $2,500 is including new pedals and heads. The drum kits I have narrowed it down to (keep ^^^in mind I will try to buy used, but I live ^^^in Australia) the tama hyperdrive, shallow toms make for punchier sounds, PDP concept CM7, basically a DW performance without some of the features, lots of rims for a low price, pearl vision VSX maple, cheap, I can add more toms and they sound good for the price. I might get a DW if I can find one decent used, or a mapex Orion or Saturn. Also be aware I don't play professionally, I would like to buy a kit to keep for at least 10 or ^^so years, without having to replace toms or hardware. What do you guys think?

Give me some feedback. If it helps I also play heaps of metal and rock, bands such as nickelback, disturbed, led Zeppelin, bullet for my valentine, sevendust. All that good stuff. Pedals I will most likely be getting are demon drives or mapex falcons.

Cheers guys
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need second kit buying advice..

I think a Pearl MCX kit would be great for the kind of music you are playing. Standard size loud warm sound. 12x9-13x10-16x16-22x18.These kits only come with shells so you have option for the snare and hardware. May I suggest Pearl 1000 series package which includes hht , 1 boom, 1 cymbal , 1 snare stands and 1 Eliminator P2000 bass pedal. I have this kit and hardware and love it. Good luck

User Info Menu

Pearl MCX eh. I'll check it out. I want more toms though. Something like 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms. I'll check the kit out.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Lucius, if you're looking at 3 up, 2 down, then you might want to check out the Gretsch Catalina Maple, because it's coming in that configuration - if it's available to you in Austrailia. Speaking of which, I was assuming that your $2,500 budget would be Aussie pricing, which means we need to adjust any recommendations to keep in mind that kits are bit more expensive Down Under. Now, if you're looking used, I would seriously check out a Saturn kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Since you didnt mention my favorite kit: Yamaha Oak Custom - I can honestly say that this is a keeper kit. I own a 6 piece and for me; its my "dream kit". The sound is spectacular - louder than maple or birch, lower fundamental tone than either maple or birch, lots of punch, tunes easily for jazz all the way down to rock or country, The lacquer finish is pristine~. The hardware is rock solid and customer support is as good as it gets.
    Want gold aluminum Die-Cast rims? Yamaha has em for sale~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

the dw performance is a good choice. It will definitely last you a while. Look for some on the internet, I saw a five piece in the black ice finish for areound $800. ive seen some cheaper than that.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

$800 is because you are ^^^in America. The cheapest DW performance I've seen here is $2,500 without cymbals and cymbal stands. Anyone have any comments on my chosen kits? Have you had experience with them. I've used tama road pro stands and they haven't let me down.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Need second kit buying advice..

Quote Originally Posted by Lucitous-Borich-JR View Post
    Pearl MCX eh. I'll check it out. I want more toms though. Something like 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms. I'll check the kit out.
    Lucious you can get has many toms as you want with the MCX kit. Check out Pearls drum catalogue and it will show you what sizes are available. I kick myself in the arse for not getting the extra 2 rack tom when I bought my kit now I would have to wait up to 6 months to get them because my finish is a custom order now. So if you buy any kit get the right amount of toms then if you can. Good luck.

User Info Menu

PDP X7.
    Or, Mapex Meridian Birch Studioease shellpack and get the add-on pack that comes with an 8"x8" tom with a clamp and mounting hardware.
    Sound Percussion boom stand pack from Musicians Friend, best value for decent stands you can get. They ARE decent stands. And of course, the Demon Drives. (;
    That's what I'd do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    $800 is because you are ^^^in America. The cheapest DW performance I've seen here is $2,500 without cymbals and cymbal stands. Anyone have any comments on my chosen kits? Have you had experience with them. I've used tama road pro stands and they haven't let me down.
    25 hundie is a normal american price. online though sometimes people sell them for much cheaper which was the case here. You might be able to get international shipping. I don't know its worth a try i guess
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Oh I also need to mention that I can't buy online. Parents don't trust the company's. And trust me I've tried to reassure them.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Don't forget to check out the Trading Post (online and paper) and gumtree.com.au.

Pity you're not in the Sydney area. Two PDP x7 kits are on sale for $1500 and $1800, the $1500 one is finished in all black, the $1800 one is in a black to cherry burst (I think) plus the guy's throwing in Gator soft cases and a protection racket traps case with wheels. Not bad for a kit that has only been used once. Both of these kits are of course excluding cymbals.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

The thing is I don't have money now and Am going to the gold coast ^^^in a week or ^^so for a month for my birthday. ^^so next year will he the year. Yeah I've seen those kits drumbledore. Pretty sick. Saw a DW performance on gumtree for $2,000 7 piece to. If only..
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

cheapest DW performance i could find was $3,000aus...man we are getting ripped off like crazy ...and now you know why we dont buy Dw here down under

i sent you a message a while a go JR ..must have been 6 kits worthy of a look ...you dont like that odery?
    Last edited by itchie; 09-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

omg JR i just saw the very first black raven up on fleabay.au ..this is so you