Thread: edrum amps

User Info Menu

Default edrum amps

Hi all,

So it might be in the very near future I'll have to buy an amp for my ekit.

I'm borrowing a fender guitar amp from a friend, and I think he'll want it back. I can't say the fender is brilliant for edrums (compared to headphones), but my next best current option are computer speakers, which are so bad they're laughable.

So what I'm looking for is something with decent sound, not too big, fine for gigs but small affairs, no stadium shows. I'm a bit price sensitive, 4-500 USD is the limit. Also, just for fun, I know nothing about this, other than we should go for keyboard amps.

My drums, DTX500, will be making upgrades and possibly to the 700 in 2 years' time.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Jon
    Last edited by jgziegler; 09-08-2012 at 02:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: edrum amps

I do not use my set on stage but if was going to I'd maybe be looking into a small PA
    system with 2 monitors on stands. Or maybe 2 wedge-type powered floor monitors.
    I would suggest full range monitors, EQ, Compression and plenty of power.
    Last edited by mdee; 09-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

A lot of guys like the Simmons DA200 amp. Relatively inexpensive and ok sound. I have a Roland KC550 which is a great amp. For Edrums a keyboard amp is a good choice because they are made to play a full range of sounds, highs and lows. A guitar amp won't give you the low end drums need.

User Info Menu

As previously stated, alot of people use the simmons DA200, mainly because it's relatively inexpensive ($299) and has a decent amount of power…if your budget is more than that, I'd consider the roland PM-30 ($699) or the yamaha MS100DR ($629 or $549 factory restock @ GC)…both of these are very similar quality, sound, features…and if your budget will allow it, I'd probably go with the MS100DR, besides it's less expensive as well..
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback everyone. One thing which I decided not to mention is that I live in Europe, so I've just checked the prices, and the simmons is $600, the roland and yamaha $800.

So 2 further questions:

1. Is this something I might be able to take with me on an airplane next time I go to the states?

2. Any other alternatives? (used probably won't be an option)

Thanks again for your help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    1. Is this something I might be able to take with me on an airplane next time I go to the states?
    Thanks again for your help!
    Regarding your question (1), probably not..the box these items come in is fairly large and heavy, so I don't think you would save much if any going this route..if the yamaha and roland are only $200 more I definitely would opt for one of them

User Info Menu

I use a Fender Malaysian copy bass practice amp, but only for low volume (ie: lounge-room type) band practices very occasionally. If it's a live gig, then I'd go through a P.A., making sure I have a monitor wedge.

Teaching over here with two e-kits though I put it through my own 200 watt P.A., a cheapie Ashton that I will probably be upgrading next year or so. Still, it does the job.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

ok thanks for the tips, does anyone have any experience with the ms50dr? I've looked at the specs, and the power is half, which doesn't have such a huge influence on decibel level (I can't remember exactly how it works, but i know we are talking 3-5 db tops). The price is also half over here, but still a painful 400usd.

thanks again for the tips!