Thread: Last minute tips?

User Info Menu

Default Last minute tips?

Drum Tips

If you haven't seen my quick post in the off-topic section, I'll sum it up for ya: I'm back!

Down to business:

This will be my first year entering the GC drum-off. I'm wondering what to expect, and I'm also wondering if you have any tips or things you wish you would have remembered when you entered (if you did).

I guess you could say I'm pretty nervous about this, mostly because I don't want to make a fool of myself.

The reason I'm nervous?
    I don't know if I've put enough practice into this.
    For quite a while now the people in household have been putting up with my drumming less and less, which is limiting my my playing to less and less.
    I've also been busy with work and such, so all these factors have contributed to me not fully developing my solo.
    The prelims I'm set for is this Tuesday, so this is pretty time sensitive.

My goals:
    1. Don't humiliate myself. I'd like to play a solo that doesn't turn into 3 minutes of a painful sounding, disarrayed disaster.
    2. Have fun.
    3. Learn from the others there.

It's been a while since I've played in front of people, but even if I do get stage fright and play a crappy solo, I'm still plan on entering next year.

All that said, what are your experiences with this? Do you have any tips? Anything you wish you would have done differently?

I really appreciate any type of comments, stories, tips, or suggestions you might have.
    Thanks!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Last minute tips?

Never done this myself but having participated in many battle of the band's type of stuff, I can only offer what I would try to do....

- Stay positive at all times
    - Bring it back to basics and then embelish on that
    - Learn from but don't be intimidated by others
    - Break your routine into parts. Learn each part one at a time then put them all together
    - Most likely the judges will have limited attention span so move between the parts of your routine quickly
    - Structure your routine almost like a song with a big finish, save the best for last

Hope this helps a little
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

Drum Tips

Best of luck to you DrumRookie! Try to keep a positive mindset about it, and remember there are a lot of great drummers competing so don't let yourself be intimidated. Believe in your skills and let them shine!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Haven't done the drum off but have been in huge jams with multiple drummers in a friendly competition. So advice above from others is great. The other thing is to just be Awesome, enjoy and learn.

User Info Menu

advice about the drum off. dont do too much snare stuff. Ive seen kids who are like in drumline and stuff like that do alot of snare stuff and get easily eliminated because they don't do enough on the set. It helps if you can do stick tricks, learn to musically incorporate you rudiments. Try and play musically without it sounding like your playing to a song(trust me it doesn't appeal to many in the drum off for some reason if you sound like your playing a song). Try to be cool and improvise when you need to. If you break out with to good of stuff now, when you move on to the next round it will be dull playing a similar solo to the one you played in the previous rounds. Keep it moving when it comes to doing things around the set. And for goodness sake don't show off too much. when you get over confident and try to show off too much you end up looking like a fool(trust me I've been there) just play what you know how to play and you might end up surprising the judges as well as yourself with what you can do.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I ended up canceling last minute. The reasons were:

1. I don't think I'm ready to do something like this yet. I didn't put in enough practice to feel confident enough with what I had. I also need to play in front of people more often, to curb my nervousness (which in the past has proven to limit my playing abilities).
    It was a tough call to make, but I really didn't put enough time and effort into this.
    If I play a solo, I don't want to be doing sloppy improv the whole time (which is pretty much what my solo came to be).

2. I would have been able to show up, but it would taken a bit of trouble to get there on time.

It was a tough call to make because I didn't want to chicken out on this, but I think I will be better off doing this next time around.
    I'm 100% doing this next year, so if you have any advice it would still be appreciated.

-DR
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Never done one so I don't have much too offer. All I ever did was record some stuff that I thought I'd do. I just don't like competitions like that.

I guess I'd say don't let other people get into your head because we all know there are some ego maniacs around.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

What does the winner get? A job with a band, equipment, a scholarship to a music school?
    Where have the past winners gone? Is it worth the effort?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Drum Tips

Here are some tips for winning a Guitar Center drum off. Good luck!