Thread: Playing drums again in Church

User Info Menu

Default Playing drums again in Church

Hi drummers, I went back to Church today after being out awhile. It was great to get back to playing drums with other musicians in the choir. Everyone was glad to see me back. But what i learned from this was as a drummer you have to be able to play different styles of music not just one style. With my drumming i am able to play slow or fast tempos and know what style to use such as: waltz,swing or jazz, and slow rock. I feel it is important for a drummer to know how to play different styles of music not just one style.
    For example: I have a friend at work who plays the guitar and only plays heavy metal like meytal cohen and wants me to learn to play heavy metal so we can jam. I feel i can learn it but at 52 yrs. old well i just can't see it lol.
    I would like anyones feedback on this subject. Thank you.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing drums again in Church

I wholeheartedly agree. Versatility is key.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

We have a 'Church Drummers Thread' just for these discussions, Right here in General Drum Chat
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I like some of her (Meytal) drum covers. Being flexible is good but play what you like.

User Info Menu

I agree. It's fine to be flexible, but if you're playing jazz (as an example) just for the sake of flexibility and you don't actually care for it...why bother? Play what makes you happy.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals