Thread: Wood Beaters

User Info Menu

Default Wood Beaters

Anyone on here use a solid wood beater? I was in the local shop the other day, and they have some wood beaters there. Man are they light weight. I was kinda interested in picking a pair up, but I second guessed myself. I usually do not like playing with a kick pad on my heads. How less long will my heads last with wood beaters vs stock IC beaters?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood Beaters

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Anyone on here use a solid wood beater? I was in the local shop the other day, and they have some wood beaters there. Man are they light weight. I was kinda interested in picking a pair up, but I second guessed myself. I usually do not like playing with a kick pad on my heads. How less long will my heads last with wood beaters vs stock IC beaters?
    i used to play the red ball/black shaft danmar beaters for a long time. They sounded great but destroyed heads. Without pads, the heads would divot. I would just spin the head around to a place where they struck a clean surface again.
    The thing i love most about wood beaters is they sound closest to sticks.
    Last edited by jazzkat; 09-13-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

love my wood beaters, the little extra slap is nice, I do use a clear sticker though.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

The first and only time I ever wrecked a bass head was with a wooden beater, way back in my experimental days. During a gig too. Never again. I don't think they sound all that good at all. Since the invention of bass drum, it's been played with a soft beater for a reason.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If you don't like pads on the head, don't use a wood beater......here is my personal experience.....new set of DW's at their 1st gig, wooden beater, forgot to put patch on kick drum head, head lasted....4 songs!!!!! disaster struck! duct tape, more duct tape, maybe a little more duct tape!!!!! got me thru the gig, but the tone just wasn't there!!!

User Info Menu

I've thought about switching from felt to wood for a long time but haven't for the same reason.

User Info Menu

Dude, I put dents into my emad even with one of those Remo Kevlar falam slam pads on it with wood beaters - and I don't even bury my beater. I had to switch back to felt beaters. I dug the sound of a wood beater, but 30+ dollars a head isn't something I can afford to be burning up.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I love the sound wood beaters make, but as you mention they are far too light. As aforementioned ive heard alot of stories of wood beaters wrecking heads which is another reason i stay away. I stick with the plastic side of the DW beaters, gets me close to that wood sound, without the drawbacks.

User Info Menu

I never used wood beaters. I use the Pearl Quad beaters with 4 different patterns with 2 being felt and the 2 plastic. So I use the felt the most.

User Info Menu

I've been using wood beaters forever it seems like. Whatever pedal I use I will switch out the beats to wood. Last ordered two yamaha wood beats with a thin kick pad. I don't find the weight to be significantly light but the sound I can get out of my kick with the wood is what I like most and the feel. The felt ones feel like marshmallows but that's just me.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

ever since i switched to the DW double beater, there have been zero head issues and nothing but great sound. Always

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I love the sound wood beaters make, but as you mention they are far too light. As aforementioned ive heard alot of stories of wood beaters wrecking heads which is another reason i stay away. I stick with the plastic side of the DW beaters, gets me close to that wood sound, without the drawbacks.
    where's the like button?

"LIKE"

User Info Menu

Yeah, I noticed that they are very light, but I really enjoy having a light beater.

I think I may give them a try on the practice kit, as it has a slam pad on it and see how bad it tears up my head and if I like the sound.

I have used the pearl quad beaters in the past and I loved using the plastic side of it.

Are the wooded IC beaters comparable to a full on wooden beater?

User Info Menu

Been using wood beaters for about 10 years. Yes, you need a falam pad to save your head. I love the sound and the speed I get out of them.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

They do sound great but I stopped using them because at a gig, the beater popped through the head and wouldn't come back. Never tried a heavy pad though, only the clear stick on.

User Info Menu

I know Buddy Rich used a wood beater. How often, that I don't know.

User Info Menu

I always played the Danmar wood beater pictured above. As everyone else has said, they sound great but destroy heads with no protection. I used a Danmar pad that had a hard disk in behind the pad. Eventually the hard disk would go thru the head. Switched to the falams without the disk and all was better.
    Had the same thing happen as Olimpass.
    I'm seriously considering going back to them. Or maybe try IC beaters.
    Have a funny feeling that the Speed Cobra beaters aren't kicking the full potential out of the drums sound.

Aquiles Preister gets a REALLY nice sound out of them!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    I always played the Danmar wood beater pictured above. As everyone else has said, they sound great but destroy heads with no protection. I used a Danmar pad that had a hard disk in behind the pad. Eventually the hard disk would go thru the head. Switched to the falams without the disk and all was better.
    Had the same thing happen as Olimpass.
    I'm seriously considering going back to them. Or maybe try IC beaters.
    Have a funny feeling that the Speed Cobra beaters aren't kicking the full potential out of the drums sound.

Aquiles Preister gets a REALLY nice sound out of them!!
    That dude is a BEAST. Kick drums sound fantastic. Totally see some tricks in that vid I'm gonna steal.