Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gretsch '57 Renown MotorCity Black

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch '57 Renown MotorCity Black

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Thanks for the Gibraltar info. I have a Tama Roadpro which seems pretty good but now I have two sets. So I need a new hihat but not going to break the bank for a stand. don't want a sqeaker either.

Chevelle SS or 69' Fastback Mustang (black) ouuuuhhh! Wish, wish.
    '69 Chevelle 396 SS was my dream car back in the late '70s. They just don't make them like that anymore. My buddy's brother had a similar car like this '69 Chevelle SS 396 in this pic. It had straight headers, glass packs and a set of traction bars on the rear axel. 4 on the floor and man that thing was LOUD and fast. Everybody wanted to race this car LOL!

User Info Menu

Sweeeet!

Well enjoy the drums! I travel for work so I have to wait until late tomorrow to bang on my new skins.

User Info Menu

Sweeeet!

Well enjoy the drums! I travel for work so I have to wait until late tomorrow to bang on my new skins.
    Thanks wr_stix! Yesterday was band practice so I packed up the kit and headed off to the practice studio. Here's a few pics. I must of missed it. What new kit did you get?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Looks great at the studio, Rich!

Thanks for the Gibraltar info. I have a Tama Roadpro which seems pretty good but now I have two sets. So I need a new hihat but not going to break the bank for a stand. don't want a sqeaker either.

Chevelle SS or 69' Fastback Mustang (black) ouuuuhhh! Wish, wish.
    The Road Pro is a decent hat stand. I used one for a while. I found a sweet deal on an Iron Cobra lever glide stand on ebay about a year ago. I think I paid around $120 bucks for it. Now, the IC is mega heavy and will last through a nuclear blast but I'd recommend them if you want to stick with Tama.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    '69 Chevelle 396 SS was my dream car back in the late '70s. They just don't make them like that anymore. My buddy's brother had a similar car like this '69 Chevelle SS 396 in this pic. It had straight headers, glass packs and a set of traction bars on the rear axel. 4 on the floor and man that thing was LOUD and fast. Everybody wanted to race this car LOL!

Very nice car! I sure wouldn't mind ownin one of them..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Very nice car! I sure wouldn't mind ownin one of them..
    Me too Russ.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Gretsch '57 Renown MotorCity Black

Hi Rich the kit looks great and I hope it sounds just as good. I was wondering why you are using moongel on those coated heads. Are those G2's. Maybe the EC2's would better choice for recording with. Just wondering What head is that on your snare. Did those heads come standard with the kit or did you change them.

User Info Menu

Hi Gilles! The heads on the toms are the factory issue G1 coated that came with the kit . I use moongel to kill the overtone on the heads. I'm swapping out the G1 coated on the toms for EC2 clear SST this weekend. The heads on the USA Custom snare in the pics are Remo Control Sound (CS) coated reverse dot batter head with Remo thin clear Emperor for resonant snare side. The Gretsch factory heads on the USA custom snare were cheap and already stretched out. The Remo heads made the snare sound 100% better. Thanks for the questions and the kind comments!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are making the right move Rich you won't regret the EC2 clears cause that is what I use on all my toms and EC frosted with reverse dot on my snare. Some people dislike the EC2's they say it deadens the sound but that is the sound that I like just like in the studio. I have talked to other Pearl MCX drummers and they swear by the Ambs/ ambs ccombo and to me my drums are full of overtones etc. To each their own I guess but I love the EC2's what can I say. LOL Your kit looks awesome man did it also come with the rack that is in the pictures or is that your own.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey late8 my new kit is a Tama Starclassic B/B 5 Pc

check the link...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10293...82686859402113

Got 'em at Forks Nashville, TN via ebay/phone.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are making the right move Rich you won't regret the EC2 clears cause that is what I use on all my toms and EC frosted with reverse dot on my snare. Some people dislike the EC2's they say it deadens the sound but that is the sound that I like just like in the studio. I have talked to other Pearl MCX drummers and they swear by the Ambs/ ambs ccombo and to me my drums are full of overtones etc. To each their own I guess but I love the EC2's what can I say. LOL Your kit looks awesome man did it also come with the rack that is in the pictures or is that your own.
    Thanks for your opinions on the Evans EC2 series heads. I swapped them out yesterday at band practice and wow!! I used these heads on my ECX maple kit in the passed and they were fantastic heads so I wasn't dissapointed this time around either. So right now I got EC2 clear SST over G1 clear. They make my toms sound really nice! The horizontal bars are from my Gibraltar rack. I no longer use the major portions of the rack since I've scaled down all of m kits. The horizontal bars are used to keep my stands from falling over. I found that many times, my bandmates kick the legs of the stands as they walk around the kit. There were situations recently that made me bolt the stands together to prevent them from tipping over if they get kicked again.

User Info Menu

Hey late8 my new kit is a Tama Starclassic B/B 5 Pc

check the link...

https://plus.google.com/photos/10293...82686859402113

Got 'em at Forks Nashville, TN via ebay/phone.
    Wow!! Beautiful finish!!!

User Info Menu

Nice looking kit wr_stix, man love the color. I am a fan of the fades.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread with updated pics of the kit. I swapped the OEM reso head and the Evans EMAD batter that came with the bass drum for the Remo Powerstroke 3 series heads. The reso is now an Ebony PS3 with a 5" port.

I added a Kickport after my bandmates heard the kick without one. They all had grins on their faces when they heard how much of a difference it made.

The batter head is a clear PS3 with two flam patches. I stuffed an Evans EQ pillow in sideways to soak up a bit of overtones. The results were what my ears needed to hear.

Toms heads EC2 clear SST/G1 clear. I'm sold on this head combo.

Last edited by late8; 09-27-2012 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I brought out the DW5000A double pedal after using the DW7000 for several months. I had forgotten how nice the 5000 series pedals are.

Keeping me honest is the DB90 metronome that's plugged into a headphone amp for more volume.

Last edited by late8; 09-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow Rich kit is looking good. I have the PS3 and it's been on there since I bought my MCX in 2005 and still sounds great. My heads are pretty equal to yours except that I use the EC reso on the toms. I kept my G1's and maybe I will swap them with EC reso just to see what kind of sound I get. I also have a small flat pillow inside my bass but my reso is a 2 ply Aquarian with no port hole. The things we have to do to get the sound out of our drums LOL.

Don't mind the moogel was just trying something out. Also my heads are not dented it is just stick marks and the way the light hits makes it look bad and also a cheap camera, Note also that my EC2's are about 8 months old and still sound great. You should try the EC frosted with reverse dot like in the pic on your snare. Unbelievable sound you will get out of that head.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-27-2012 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow!! Beautiful finish!!!

Nice looking kit wr_stix, man love the color. I am a fan of the fades.
    Thanks guys. If you search the thread "more trigger pulling" it's more on the set..

with the new set comes an attach of the GAS... snares, stands, more cymbals.. yiiii. I have some other threads where I may of started a snare war...

User Info Menu

Wow Rich kit is looking good. I have the PS3 and it's been on there since I bought my MCX in 2005 and still sounds great. My heads are pretty equal to yours except that I use the EC reso on the toms. I kept my G1's and maybe I will swap them with EC reso just to see what kind of sound I get. I also have a small flat pillow inside my bass but my reso is a 2 ply Aquarian with no port hole. The things we have to do to get the sound out of our drums LOL.

Don't mind the moogel was just trying something out. Also my heads are not dented it is just stick marks and the way the light hits makes it look bad and also a cheap camera, Note also that my EC2's are about 8 months old and still sound great. You should try the EC frosted with reverse dot like in the pic on your snare. Unbelievable sound you will get out of that head.
    Awesome post Gilles! We both share the same goals in the sound of our kit. This is an amazing coincedence, I was just thinking of getting EC2 for reso heads for my next swap down the road. Thanks for verifying if it would work. I'll try this combo next. Also appreciate the heads up on the EC frosted with reverse dot. I was looking at this head before I pulled the trigger on the Remo CS coated reverse dot. I bet your snare has a ton of 'crack'?? The PS3 heads made my rehearsal last night a memorable one!! I LOVE this combo!!

Have you tried the EC2 frosted for your toms yet? Any opinions on those heads yet? Thanks!

User Info Menu

That would be my next swap to EC2's frosted to see if I can get a warmer sound out of the toms. Not sure if I understand you Rich that you want to EC2s as reso? are you sure you didn't mean EC reso ( single ply with Edge Control). My EC frosted with reverse dot is an amazing sounding head man. I mean no matter where you hit on the surface of that head you get so many different sounds, incredible for ghost notes and rim shots. I love this head and I think it was made for a maple snare not for steel cause I tried it on on my Slingerland and did not care for it..

User Info Menu

That would be my next swap to EC2's frosted to see if I can get a warmer sound out of the toms. Not sure if I understand you Rich that you want to EC2s as reso? are you sure you didn't mean EC reso ( single ply with Edge Control). My EC frosted with reverse dot is an amazing sounding head man. I mean no matter where you hit on the surface of that head you get so many different sounds, incredible for ghost notes and rim shots. I love this head and I think it was made for a maple snare not for steel cause I tried it on on my Slingerland and did not care for it..
    I was thinking either EC reso or even going EC2 over EC2. I read hear on DC that someone tried the EC2 as reso heads and they had great results! Cool thoughts on the EC frosted reverse dot. I like rim shots! I use them all the time!

User Info Menu

Aye man it's up to you to try whatever you want and if it fails well you would have an extra package of EC2's LOL. Seriously I can't see why it would not work so give it a try and let me know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    2 ply heads on the reso side? Not for me, thanks!
    Ever try hydraulic heads as resos or even pinstripes? I've experimented with a few odd cobinations just to see how the they would sound.

User Info Menu

All I can say Rich is for you to try them and let us know what you think. This way it gives us an idea of what 2ply/2ply sounds like. I always said you have to experiment to find that sound that we alll are looking for. I know it does cost money to experiment so most people generaly stick to obvious of 1ply/1ply or 2ply/1ply while others are looking for better ways to improve our sounds.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-28-2012 at 07:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm not feeling that black reso vs. the original white one. I think the white looked better with that color combo.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals