Drum Domains

Thread: DAMN my stupid left hand !

User Info Menu

Angry DAMN my stupid left hand !

Man- I practice and practice and practice 3-5 nights a week on a pad while watching TV, sometimes for an hour or even 2 ( I also spend an hour or 2 at the kit every 2nd night before the TV/ pad training routine ) . I can get no consistency from my left hand in doubles.

I actually have all sorts of trouble getting the whole 'grip' thing right.
    If I have my hands tilted upward ( so my thumb is right up on top ) I can do doubles , triplets and quads at good speeds ( on the pad ) by 'pinching' the stick between thumb and pointer and just using bounce ( not using my other fingers too much at all ). The second I turn my hands inwards in the slightest ( so the thumbs at around 45 degrees) then it completely falls apart and unless I start a whipping type motion then I can't get decent speed.

My left hand cant 'whip' at all, I broke my left arm as a kid and I am unsure whether this has had any lingering effect?

Anyway - no matter how good I get on the pad, when I take to the kit/ snare it is completely different and I seem to really struggle to get the left going at all - I relax and it is like my hand just doesnt want to work at the kit. At the kit I kind of forget all about how my hands are as I am concentrating on rythyms, patterns, counts etc.

Even simple beats that have a few ghost notes in them , the ghost notes are pathetic and inconsistent.

I am trying so bloody hard and seemingly getting nowhere. I try being totally relaxed, I try tensing just a little. I try medium pace , fast pace, slow pace any F**ckin pace and after a few months I am NOT improving.

Clues???

Cheers

( a frustrated ) Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Wotto! just relax mate coz it will come with time. Do some searching on strengthening exercises, they help alot!

User Info Menu

Agreed. Wotto, watching your progress is sometimes like trying to watch a flower grow. You can't always see it. Just be patient. Keep on practicing and doing what you're doing. In time your progress will be apparent to you.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Yeah. Whst they said. I know how you feel.

User Info Menu

nice analergy drummer, or even, watching your progress is like watching and waiting for the toaster to pop

User Info Menu

Oh and by the way... I dont think you breaking your arm has anything to do with it. Ive broken both my armas ant their both fine.

Also, try setting up your kit left handed. That way itl get LOADS of practice.

User Info Menu

Wotto, keep in mind that "breakthroughs" often come soon after a time of frustration. The key to success is perseverence! When you're tired, reach down inside and keep going! When you're frustrated, reach down inside and keep going! If you give up, you'll never know how close you were to the breakthrough.

I've been waiting for something for eight long years. It is tempting to give up, but then after all this time that I have invested, what if success is right around the corner? That's what keeps me pointed in the right direction, and I go on.

Take a day off and allow yourself to be frustrated, then come back tomorrow, sit down at the kit, close your eyes and see yourself playing the way you want to play. Know that with the very next stroke of your left hand, you just got closer to the goal. Next, break down the goal of a strong left hand into smaller achieveable goals. Don't worry about doing all rhythms the way you want, just one that you want next. When you do it, celebrate it! That process helps keep frustration away.

BTW, you might consider a small set of weights to do strength training with your left wrist. I'm actually thinking about that for myself.

Hang in there, bro.!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

wotto, all this is good advice, and remember i know your gonna think, oh great the advice was, "it will come in time". that helps alot, it all comes after awhile.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,

I know there is no easy solution other than persistance.
    I just had to have a whinge publicly.

The fact that my left hand's strength seems to be getting worse rather than better is what is bothering me.

My next public gripe will be about my foot speed

Cheers
    Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Wotto, I feel (and share) your pain, brother!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wotto View Post
    The fact that my left hand's strength seems to be getting worse rather than better is what is bothering me.

Wotto
    thats not a good thing mate

(okay first off to show i know some drum vocabulary the "thumbs up" position is french grip the "thumbs forty five" is german or half way german german is to the side almost with the thumbs perfectly flat)

when playing on the kit i suggest playing open handed drums , which is playing with-out the snare hihat cross over ...hats on a righty kit with left hand...
    this will naturaly increase left hand stamina as it is very very easy to pick up just feels weird at first ....

start playing forths then switch up to eigths while playing the most basic beat you know the one that you can do with out thinking about it...you want to be able to focus and you want to direct that attention to your left hand

every stroke no matter how close alike is diffrent and you need to keep that in mind

work on your forth notes for about a hour or untill you cant play anymore or you perfect them ( which , no offense, i dont see happening at least not at first)

your looking for consistincy and accurate timeing and power

once you got the forths down move to eights BUT dont give up with the forths while your perfecting the eigths dureing your breaks fronm eight note play fourths but spice 'em up add accents and the occasional double stroke ( more on that later)
    After you feel youve accomplished this with-in reason ( and it will take a very long time it took me a year to get complete control over left and right hands while switching between doubles and singles)

move back to forth notes but play double note strokes on the fourths to its like:
    Ta-Tah Ta-Tah Ta-Tah Ta-Tah

(wow now i feel stupid wait for this paticlur one to show up in the corrupt a wish thread)

and keep playing this in fourths untill you have consistincy then ( joy- o joy) move to eight notes and play double note strokes on each eight note
    rinse and repeat till you can play those double rolls of sweet sweet consistincy

BY the Way!!!! Im a "French" player i have no clue what this training would do to the muscle memory of a traditonal or german player i know ive yet to hurt myself playing drums in this method and with the above training schedule *this has been a public service annocement*

When you want help on your foot speed im here for you on that as well..i have no social life to speak of i play drums for atleast 5-6 hours a day either mentaly with my hands and feet or behind the kit
    lata drum playas!
    Last edited by Chiko; 08-02-2007 at 03:32 AM.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Actually thinking about it. My left hand it lazy too. Its no where as sharp and reponcive as my right hand...... And i never broken a bone in my life. :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hey Chiko- thats a LOAD of info- cheers for taking that time- I hadnt thought of playing 'open' but I see it would train my left hand for better consistency.

Time to embarrass oneself now- I uploaded a short flick of my doubles on a pad tonight - I am bangin away at between 140-155 bpm and then just completely screwing around with fast rubbish and some singles mixed with some ordinary 5 and 7 stroke rolls ( I think ? ) Not a lot of concentration here , I just wanted someone to see my left hand and how it differs to the right.

Look at my 'mongy' left hand and the stick flippin and floppin around.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKq7qiENH98

Please be nice with your comments as I am a shy little wallflower
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

It doesnt look like you left is lagging TOO far behind. I think youll easyly be able to bring it up to speeed if you carry on practicing.

User Info Menu

Wotto, that really doesn't sound too bad. Keep going, and just watch how much better it will sound in just 3 more months! Hang in there!!

User Info Menu

hey man, doesnt sound that bad, where you boucning the whole time? or was it half bouncing and other half not?

User Info Menu

ouch adly im doomed to dial up ill check out the video at next practice which is hopefully tommarow err...today its 1:12 here
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

ah, double strokes, i hated these for a looong time, but now their my favorite thing to do on the drums, my thing, i learned, smack the drum twice with your right, twice with your left, in a controlled, not a rebounded hit

then keep going, try leading left handed, do it on a pillow so you dont get rebound, and your trying to pull the beat from the drum/pillow

Relax too, start slow, start with 5 strokes, which if you dont know, is RRLLR or LLRRL, one stroke on the right/left to get 2 beats, then the opposite hand, then a snap back to the starting hand, then work to 9 stokes RRLLRRLLR LLRRLLRRL, and ect