Thread: Tama Drums?

User Info Menu

Default Tama Drums?

are they any good?

User Info Menu

When you compare any drum company, you have to make sure that you compare apples to apples. What I mean is that there are different levels of quality within any drum company, from beginner sets all the way to pro level sets.

Is Tama good? Yes, but I think that there are other companies that offer a better drum kits in the intermediate level. My favorite is the Gretsch Catalina. Great kit, good price. Hard to beat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

is it a good starter set? the only thing im worried about is ill have problems with the pieces and i want to make sure its a solid set

User Info Menu

pastor bob if you dont mind me asking, what was the price of that kit, just a bench mark in case i ever decide to buy a new kit.

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I assume that you are asking about the Catalina. I bought mine through Musician's Friend, but now I know you could choose Guitar Center, or Music 123, too, because they're all owned by the same company. I got mine for $699, for a six piece kit (fusion kit + 16x16 floor tom), and I see that the price hasn't changed.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

welcom derk, what model of tama are you looking at.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, Derk! I got right into answeing your question without welcoming you to DrumChat. Welcome!!

User Info Menu

Tamas seem to be very popular with many metal drummers. Just a note I thought I might add.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

drums-rock Guest

you should get a yamaha rydeen ive heard there good kits

User Info Menu

haha ty for the welcome. im not looking at any model just yet, but i saw a good deal in a store but wasnt sure how they are. i have an electric set and i want to move up from that. i think it was the 5 drums + hi hat and cymbal for 600 at sam ash.
    Teach me

User Info Menu

pretty much no tama product is a bad product. just some are better than others. thats prolly not that bad of deal for a good condition rockstar or imperialstar, or better yet an older pro kit like a grandstar or artstar.

User Info Menu

Derk, I am assuming that you need the hardware as well as the drums, since you are going from an electronic set to an acoustic.

It sounds like you're looking at an Imperialstar set. Just know that, as with any beginner set, the cymbals will be just this side of useless, so you'll want to upgrade that as soon as you can.

I might suggest, if you could afford a bit more than $600, the Gretsch Catalina series (ash, maple, and birch - although the birch is apparently being fazed out). This is a shell pack deal, so you would have to get hardware and cymbals separately. You would get a significantly better kit, since you have some skill coming off an electronic kit. Just some thoughts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Derk, I am assuming that you need the hardware as well as the drums, since you are going from an electronic set to an acoustic.

It sounds like you're looking at an Imperialstar set. Just know that, as with any beginner set, the cymbals will be just this side of useless, so you'll want to upgrade that as soon as you can.

I might suggest, if you could afford a bit more than $600, the Gretsch Catalina series (ash, maple, and birch - although the birch is apparently being fazed out). This is a shell pack deal, so you would have to get hardware and cymbals separately. You would get a significantly better kit, since you have some skill coming off an electronic kit. Just some thoughts.
    harware being cymbals? i dont know the lingo just yet hehe. also i didnt understand what you meant about the beginner set?
    Teach me

User Info Menu

he's kinda bound by GOD, so you know pastor bob is telling the truth. the catalina in my opinion is the best sounding kit out there under a grand.

User Info Menu

hmm alright. ty for the help people.
    Teach me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Lafirin, I assume that you are asking about the Catalina. I bought mine through Musician's Friend, but now I know you could choose Guitar Center, or Music 123, too, because they're all owned by the same company. I got mine for $699, for a six piece kit (fusion kit + 16x16 floor tom), and I see that the price hasn't changed.
    700 bucks? not bad at all, i th0ght you where going to say 1000+, thats not bad at all. do you have all the stock heads on em?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DerK View Post
    harware being cymbals? i dont know the lingo just yet hehe. also i didnt understand what you meant about the beginner set?
    DerK, the hardware would be the cymbal stands, the snare stand, hi-hat stand, and bass drum pedal. Cymbals would be inaddition to that. Cymbals could be anything from low end (Zildjian ZBT, and equivalents from other manufacturers) to high end stuff like the Zildjian Avedis, and equivalents.

When I mentioned beginner set, I meant a set where the drums are made of a cheaper wood. They don't project as much, and they don't have as sweet a tone, or sustain. As opposed to that, an intermediate set would be made of a better wood (my Gretsch Catalina set is an all maple drum shell) which imparts a tone to the overall sound, so deciding what type of sound you like is a factor in the overall decision process.

Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    700 bucks? not bad at all, i th0ght you where going to say 1000+, thats not bad at all. do you have all the stock heads on em?
    Lafirin, it really is a good deal, although, the $699 is for a shell pack only. You don't get any hardware at that price, but that was OK for me, because I had already upgraded most of my hardware already.

I still have the stock heads on them - they're Remo UT's - it's a single ply head and it doesn't sound bad at all to me, so I'm going with the stock heads for now.

User Info Menu

The Catalina are the set I chose in Birch (but I already had cymbals and hardware so all I needed was the shells), got a great deal because it was the last Birch set our local guitar center had left (it was the floor model). I played with the local Army Reserve Band (on Keyboards and trombone) for many years (15 to be exact) and through much of that time we had a Tama Set. I believe it was a swing star, but I'm not positive. That set took all types of abuse (we traveled on buses a lot) and it held up very well. It sounded good too. If you can get a good deal on a TAMA set and it meets your needs I would go for it. Take care of it and you can always trade it in for something else later on.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 08-04-2007 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    The Catalina are the set I chose in Birch (but I already had cymbals and hardware so all I needed was the shells), got a great deal because it was the last Birch set our local guitar center had left (it was the floor model). I played with the local Army Reserve Band (on Keyboards and trombone) for many years (15 to be exact) and through much of that time we had a Tama Set. I believe it was a swing star, but I'm not positive. That set took all types of abuse (we traveled on buses a lot) and it held up very well. It sounded good too. If you can get a good deal on a TAMA set and it meets your needs I would go for it. Take care of it and you can always trade it in for something else later on.
    i'm tellin ya, those old tama kits were built like tanks. and sounded huge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    ok thank you. that helps a lot. i think i might go for the tama set because they have one on sale in gold at sam ash. it comes with everything, including the hardware for 600. plus its only about a 10 minute drive away so its more convenient ^^
    Teach me

User Info Menu

Hey wait a minute, now. Yes, Yamaha makes a pretty darn good drum set (several actually) but to say that it is the best set for under a grand is a bit of a stretch. For my money, I'd go with a Sonor over a Yamaha anyday (no disrespect, PB). I'm a 100% Sonor player through and through and am totally biased. But, I have personally been extremely impressed with the products they put out. Their Force series are all great sets, of which many come not only with the drums, but hardware too. And just to show that I'm not tooooo biased, the Tama Roadpro hardware is downright awesome. I've posted this link so many times before but it really does bear repeating:

http://georgesdrumshop.com/t-faq1.aspx

Note the very bottom of the article - the Sonor Force entire line falls into the category of "Best Band (bang?) for the Buck" and you can get it in Basswood, Birch or Maple depending upon your preference. So, for my money, I'd say that the Sonor line is the best drums for under a grand. No offense to anyone else and just my $.02 worth.

By the way, Derk, welcome to DrumChat!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Hey Stix, no offense taken here. When I chose my kit, I was really torn between the Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage, the Sonor Force 3005, and the Gretsch Catalina maple. I agonized for a while before I narrowed it down to the Sonor and Gretsch kits. There were both superior kits, in my opinion, so I could really go wrong either way. I really agonized over the final choice, and then it just sort of worked itself out, and I got the Gretsch kit.