Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A drummer can never be too fast or have too many snares?

User Info Menu

Default A drummer can never be too fast or have too many snares?

Diamonds may be a girls best friend but it seems after spending a bit of time around here that snares must be something a good number of us stick clickers like to shop for, acquire, collect, refurb, dream about and generally keep buying more of for those who can.

I'll admit there is something about the sound of a nice fast clean roll on well tuned snare that just inspires. It's kinda the signature drum that most non-drummers recognize or are impressed with the sound of.

So having recently added to my repetoire of snares I wonder from the community of strainer heads if you had the basics (good steel, okay wood, nicer sharp wood, middle of the road deep wood snare) what would you add if you were only adding two more and your budget for each snare is $500< new or used okay. The kits are one basic Rock'n'Roll set (4pc) and another more versatile Rock, Jazz and popular tunes kit (5 pc). Or just add your favs that you have or like put behind that bass drum.

It's the snare G.A.S challenge.
    Last edited by wr_stix; 09-19-2012 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A drummer can never be too fast or have too many snares?

I'd snag deals on a Tama Starphonic of some flavor and a Ludwig BB.

User Info Menu

I can enter to WIN a Starphonic when I register my new set. Root, root!

Ludwig seems to have a lot of nice snares...

User Info Menu

i would never buy something as important as a snare drum without playing it first. so i would say , id line up every snare that i liked in the store, then id tune and play them all . then id buy the one that i liked the best ... brand name wouldnt matter, id only go by sound.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

A friend of a friend had 28 snare drums. He hardly ever played most of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i would never buy something as important as a snare drum without playing it first. so i would say , id line up every snare that i liked in the store, then id tune and play them all . then id buy the one that i liked the best ... brand name wouldnt matter, id only go by sound.
    The challenge is being able to find a good quality drum shop that will have better quality snares in the place you can test. Of the four I have I only got the BP Cherry without playing it but I tested another Mapex BP about the same shell depth and head size. But where do you find a drum shop that carries a $1200 snare that often, if thats what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A friend of a friend had 28 snare drums. He hardly ever played most of them.
    You wouldn't be talking about some of our respected collectors?

User Info Menu

A Black Beauty and maybe a Warlock or SLP both from TAMA.

I could never have too many snares!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    A Black Beauty and maybe a Warlock or SLP both from TAMA.

I could never have too many snares!!
    I knew you'd agree with that one. The Ludwig BB looks mighty nice.

User Info Menu

But that Tama SLP Black Brass looks just as nice....

User Info Menu

I would get a DW brass for the rock and roll kit. I don't know much about jazz, same goes for the jazz drums

User Info Menu

I never really saw the big deal about snares, it seems like more of a "I have more than enough money to spend so I'll build up a collection of beautiful snares." Don't get me wrong, I really respect people's collections and they way they take care of them, but its just not for me. I'd really only want two snares (excluding the snares of any possible extra drum sets, which would probably be stock), and I wouldn't even think of spending more than 300, unless I hit the lottery.

I'd focus my time building up professional quality equipment in all aspects, cymbals, drums, heads, accessories, percussion, mics, studio equipment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    I never really saw the big deal about snares, it seems like more of a "I have more than enough money to spend so I'll build up a collection of beautiful snares." Don't get me wrong, I really respect people's collections and they way they take care of them, but its just not for me. I'd really only want two snares (excluding the snares of any possible extra drum sets, which would probably be stock), and I wouldn't even think of spending more than 300, unless I hit the lottery.

I'd focus my time building up professional quality equipment in all aspects, cymbals, drums, heads, accessories, percussion, mics, studio equipment.
    +1

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    I knew you'd agree with that one. The Ludwig BB looks mighty nice.
    it shouldnt matter that they look good , nobody sees a snare drum , you should worry more how it sounds.. as for the 1,200 dollar snare that you mentioned, if i read right you said 500 bucks per drum, im sorry i didnt know there was a right or wrong answer, i thought you were asking our opinion.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Where was there a $1,200.00 snare mentioned?
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Ludwig Black Beauty Super Sensitive. You can use it in almost any musical situation you come across.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    The challenge is being able to find a good quality drum shop that will have better quality snares in the place you can test. Of the four I have I only got the BP Cherry without playing it but I tested another Mapex BP about the same shell depth and head size. But where do you find a drum shop that carries a $1200 snare that often, if thats what you're looking for.
    i've bought lots of things online , hardware,sticks, cases, but drums and cymbals are way too important and expensive to take a chance on getting a good one or not, if i had to travel a little to get to a good drum shop then thats what id do. but thats just my opinion...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

it shouldnt matter that they look good , nobody sees a snare drum , you should worry more how it sounds.. as for the 1,200 dollar snare that you mentioned, if i read right you said 500 bucks per drum, im sorry i didnt know there was a right or wrong answer, i thought you were asking our opinion.
    I added later (Edit) you can just add your Fav also. As for a budget well nobody pays retail for any muscial instrument anyway.

User Info Menu

CLARIFICATION:

A $1200 (retail list price) Ludwig snare will sell for ...Oh maybe $580? So when I mentioned about trying to find a shop where you can try a $1200 snare I meant retail list not actual sale price.

On finding those shops and actually testing something out before buy I totally agree you need to try it and hear it. it might be a buddy who has one or you may have to get in the car and drive a bit like say to Chicago to find that place. I've done road trips to go see something I wanted to get before. I appreciate ideas, recommendations and such from folks here but yeah before I pay for it I want to hit it too and then make my decision.

A snare is the most central drum to most drums sets (maybe not all) and sound is most important but let's face it folks we all like our kits to look really nice, cool or whatever. So a snare can be great sounding so why not also looking good too?

User Info Menu

I agree with this. For me any brand makes good snares. But every snare sounds different so i think you would be greatly limiting yourself to only buy one or 2 brands of snares. Instead of opening yourself up to the possibilities other brands have to offer
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

i've bought lots of things online , hardware,sticks, cases, but drums and cymbals are way too important and expensive to take a chance on getting a good one or not, if i had to travel a little to get to a good drum shop then thats what id do. but thats just my opinion...
    buying cymbals online can be great. I bought an a custom rezo splash a couple months back and when i saw one for cheaper, i sent that one back and bought another one. Isn't amazon great lol. My main reason for buying it online is because gc is the only music shop in my area and it didn't have the rezo splash(my gc is very very small). So i had to get it online because i don't have the luxury of traveling long distance for my drumming gear.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Right now on my local Gumtree I'm eyeballing a 1974 Yamaha snare with a pretty unique black and yellow zig-zag stripe finish. It's going for AU$333. The ad says it has inner maple plies, and the badge tells me it's obviously made in Japan. And to think last week I was contemplating a Ludwig Black Magic. If I pull the trigger on this one, it will be #12 in my collection. I love classic and vintage snares as much as more modern ones, but for me still it's the sound that I'm also interested in.

Also, one of Jeff Porcaro's snare drums has made it Down Under, would you believe? It's a little 10" one that Chris Brady made for him.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post

I agree, especially since I tune my snares so they all sound pretty much the same. I like to buy cymbals.

User Info Menu

I've never really understood snare mania either. Only one good one is needed. I think most drummers have their ideal sound in their head any way, so if they have fifty snares, they all wind sounding more or less the same.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Ludwig Black Beauty Super Sensitive. You can use it in almost any musical situation you come across.
    I think you got something there rick.