View Poll Results: Which Greenday Album do you thinks is best?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dookie

3 25.00%
  • Nimrod

1 8.33%
  • American Idiot

3 25.00%
  • Other

1 8.33%
  • I don't like Greenday - why am I even in here?

3 25.00%
  • Can't decide - I think they all have their merits

1 8.33%

Thread: For Greenday fans

User Info Menu

Default For Greenday fans

Hi there

Just wondering about poeple opinions on "American Idiot" from Greenday compared to older Greenday like "Dookie" and "Nimrod". Personally I think American Idiot is a great album, shows allot of versatility, while still being true to classic greenday. I think I am actually planning on doing a full album length drum session, just playing all the songs as the CD plays. Probably be very tiring, but a ton of fun.

That's me - what about others out there?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

come on greenday isnt that bad, their new song working class hero, its a good song, c'mon guys!

User Info Menu

I think the older Greenday was better. Hell I can't stand them now, they sold out in a big way. They became all preachy and political and worst of all emo to stay with the trend. They're not punk anymore, they've become so mainstream.

And anyone who uses the word "pop punk" should be shot - The whole idea of being punk is to avoid popularity, punk was so hard to define because as soon as someone thought they knew what it was, they would change and become opposite that. "Pop Punk" just means "Sell Out".

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Come on now, HB, don't sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Their early stuff hands down.

User Info Menu

Actually, that was sugar-coating it.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I don't know HB58 - I don't think they are "emo" and I don't find the stuff on American Idiot preachy - except "American Idiot" - although that song is pretty accurate IMO anyway, and "On Holiday" - the rest of the songs I don't find any differrent really than the stuff on Nimrod or Dookie in general. I think of "Brainstew" or "Basket Case" even "Nice Guys Finish Last", then of course there is "Good Riddance" which wasn't meant as a mainstream song - it just became one. Loved that song until it was played to death on the radio. Same as "Wake me up whe September Ends" nowadays - loved it until the radio killed it. And the video clip makes the song seem about something that it isn't - not their fault, it's a music video.

Anyway, what I was saying was, the other songs, such "Welcome to Paradise", even "The Grouch" (one of my all time favourite songs) would fit just as well on American Idiot, just the same as songs like "St Jimmy" or "Give me Novacaine" would fit on Nimrod or Dookie.

I do however agree that I don't like it when bands change themselves and their image to fit into a mainstream image or ideal. Of course, bands also need to change, as they get older and the people writing the stuff get more mature and their focus on life etc.. changes, so will their music - but I think you can tell the difference between genuine growth as a band (such as the difference between "Kill 'Em All" and "....And Justice For All"), and "selling out" (Such the difference between "....And Justice For All" and "Reload") .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    come on greenday isnt that bad, their new song working class hero, its a good song, c'mon guys!
    Their new song?
    You do know its an old song by John "used to be in the Beatles" Lennon dont you?

User Info Menu

Hm i am saying their newer stuff because on their old albums there was only a small handfull of songs i actually liked. New album i got into.... And im the kinda person that hates selling out. I like what they did with it.. idont think they sold out exactl. They did exactly what they normally do. Its just that people like it now more than ever.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I used to listen to them when I was like 7 and liked them (BTW I'm 17). Now a days I don't really care for them but if I had to pick I'd say their older stuff was better.

User Info Menu

I like Dookie (the album, not real dookie) LOL

User Info Menu

i have to give them some credit. they really did start a new genre of pop punk, as retarded as it is to be "pop punk". it's the same way metal has been comercialized (cough cough.... godsmack, disturbed). the masses are dumb, they need dumb music.
    they are my 15 yo sons favorite band. funny when he said "what do you know about our (young peoples) music?" i slapped him and said "man that dork is older than i am".

User Info Menu

And this is why the mainstream SUCKS.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    And this is why the mainstream SUCKS.
    Personally, I think THAT is the worst attitude to have. Sorry ETF, but I just can't abide that philosophy. First if the "underground" stuff is so great - why isn't it more famous, second as soon as one of the "underground" bands gets famous, they are accused of selling out. Has anyone seen the live DVD from the American Idiot tour? I watched a bit of it on MTV a couple of days ago, these guys are really no different to who they were ten and mroe years ago, they are just more mature. They've got kids and stuff now, so obviously the music and that is going to change. That is not selling out. They still play what they want, they still write the songs they want, they still do everything their own way - that is ALL greenday was ever about. When they started as kids, they thought it was funny to swear and sing about stupid stuff - they've grown up. That is NOT selling out.

I knew this guy who refused to listen to the major radio stations, and any band or song that was played on the major radio stations - He would lsiten to the radio station that played all the unsigned bands and "underground" music etc... Whe one of said bands would start getitng air time on a major radio station, he actually stopped listening to that band period, no matter how much he liked their music previously, becuase the "Sold out" and "mainstream sucks!". Doing stuff like that just means your closed minded and miss out on potentially great music.

Also, think of Tool's song "Hooker With a P*****" - They were accused of selling out becuase they stopped playing litle underground gigs etc.. and started to make some real money and get popular for thier music. That song was their reply. I love that reply. Name 1 band that doesn't want people to buy their music. Name 1. "Oh we only make music for the music man. We don't care about being famous" - then keep it to yourself instead of playing for others, up there on a stage and hoping to get applause, with self made $10 CD for sale at the back of the club. It's total BS, it really is. Some bands "sell out" yes - they try and change themselves to be more popular, to be more famous, they stop being who they really are. But just because a band gets famous that doesn't instantly mean they have sold out - and underground stuff is not always better than main stream - that just comes down to opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Their new song?
    You do know its an old song by John "used to be in the Beatles" Lennon dont you?
    so thats why it was so good

User Info Menu

It isnt. Really it isnt.

User Info Menu

Okay you guys knew that I'd get into this sooner or later.
    Personally i like all green day albums because they all have great songs, but when i heard American idiot for the first time on my radio, I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!! I find the whole album to be a punk masterpiece. And people who say that greenday sold out they're the american idiots, just because they don't play your favorite club now doesn't mean they suck or that they sold out. those people need to get with the program and start really thinking about what selling out really is: *cough* fall out *cough* boy
    all in all i promote all green day albums and their future ones and to the people who don't agree with me i say in the words of the song minority: "FREE FOR ALL **** EM' ALL! YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN INSIGHT!"
    PeAcE!
    ringo
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Okay you guys knew that I'd get into this sooner or later.
    Personally i like all green day albums because they all have great songs, but when i heard American idiot for the first time on my radio, I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!! I find the whole album to be a punk masterpiece. And people who say that greenday sold out they're the american idiots, just because they don't play your favorite club now doesn't mean they suck or that they sold out. those people need to get with the program and start really thinking about what selling out really is: *cough* fall out *cough* boy
    all in all i promote all green day albums and their future ones and to the people who don't agree with me i say in the words of the song minority: "FREE FOR ALL **** EM' ALL! YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN INSIGHT!"
    PeAcE!
    ringo

Wow.
    I really dont know what to say to that.

User Info Menu

all i care is that i got my point across, i am trying to explain to people what selling out really is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Personally, I think THAT is the worst attitude to have. Sorry ETF, but I just can't abide that philosophy. First if the "underground" stuff is so great - why isn't it more famous, second as soon as one of the "underground" bands gets famous, they are accused of selling out. Has anyone seen the live DVD from the American Idiot tour? I watched a bit of it on MTV a couple of days e.t.c... (sorry had to cut it)
    This is all opinion on my part, it's not what I think the fact is, tis just my side of the coin instead of saying MAINSTREAM SUCKS as bluntly as I did.

Wait, wait, I didn't mean the mainstream always. I'm meaning the mainstream of todays generation. No one knows how to be a rock star, no one knows really how rock. It's all the MTV generation wants and all that, shoveled pressed bands that fit the moulds of what the generation wants and needs.

I think it's sad when we have an entire genre, like 'emo' or whatever, that is devoted to pain, and it's massive because of it. It's not so much the music, which is just poppy punky stuff, from what I've seen - again this is what I've seen in the mainstream and what I'm judging myself on - it's the fact that they're singing about pain and crap and all that. It's something teenagers relate to in everday life and all that, but in music?! Music should be about freedom and lifting you up and out of the pain, making you wild...not wanting to sit in a corner fantasising about wrist blades and all that.

Did the mainstream suck in the 60's? No, there was innovation. In the 70's? That bore birth to heavy metal and punk. In the 80's? Well, it was all hair metal...full of cheese and everything, but it was crazy! In the 90's? Things might have started to slip a little in the late 90's, but generally we had some good bands.
    Now we're in the 00's. I honestly have not heard one band that I like come from this time period that is in the mainstream. I've heard lots of good metal bands, but they're not in the mainstream.

I've got no problems with people selling out, so long as they stick to their roots. If they make a song that's more poppy but you can tell it's them, that's great. If they make a song that has a hurdy gurdy and acoustic guitars...then something's wrong.
    Personally I liked the early 90's music mainly because no band altered their style of music, they just plowed on doing what they did and saw where it took them. But today...there doesn't seem to be an age of rock anymore. Everyone's raving about indie music and all that...the underground and everything. It's rubbish still. Mainstream and underground indie. Until someone completely changes the musical mainstream today, I can't seem to think why I'd want to be a part of this.

Put it like this: Would you rather give someone Led Zeppelin III or Welcome To The Black Parade if you wanted to introduce them to the good old world of rock and roll?
    I think we need some real rock and roll heroes to come save the day in all honesty
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

What i have to say for that is that personally i dont care if something comes from the mainstream or the "underground". But nowaydays there is no good music in the mainstream IMO.

User Info Menu

not true vinny
    and how come where discussing mainstream instead of green day?

User Info Menu

I dinno, Ringo.

User Info Menu

look at nickleback and there new album it's got some great stuff on it, or rush's new album (yes rush is considered mainstream now)

User Info Menu

I personally don't care if something is from main stream or underground but most the mainstream music today is just like an easy to eat already regurgitated meal. Its mostly all very simple and I just can't get into it. Though their are bands I listen to that are fairly mainstream most the stuff I listen to isn't. Anyways if all the things I listen to was mainstream I think it would be cool and have no problem with it. Really though music is a form of art and I like to be able to figure it out for myself and have my own interpretation not just something that is handed to me on a silver plate.