Thread: Different Genres

User Info Menu

Default Different Genres

There is often allot of talk on here about differen genres and sub genres etc... and I am just wodnering about peiople opinions of what various genres certain bands fall within - especially those bands that seem to cover all different ones.

Bands like, Incubus, Hoobastank, and Nickelback, and for the aussies among us, Silverchair, Grinspoon, Powderfinger - what do you classify these guys as?

I don't see them as basic rock bands, and Incubus uses alot of funk and jazz rhythms combined with some pretty heavy stuff, and even a bit of R&B. Nickelback can go from an acoustic ballad to something like "Follow You Home", same as Hoobastank. Silverchair USED to be grunge rock, and pretty darn good at it, but nowadays I don't even classify them as rock - they sound more, i dunno................crap to me. Grinspoon, another band than seem to have trnasended genres a bit over time, with "Just Ace" being kind of punkish, and nowadays, I suppose they are kinda classic rock, but sounding new - Id on't even know what you could classify Powderfinger as.

I am not asking for their offical genre classification that they are put into by the radio stations and MTV etc... I want peoples personal opinions as to what genre or genres they think these abdns are, and also suggest a few others that you think trnasend genres or your are unsure what they are.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Also, while I'm thinking about it - why is My Chemical Romance considered emo? I like MCR - quite allot actually, and what exactly is "wrong" with emo anyway? And why is emo so different from any other genre that talks about personal pain etc.... Allot of stuff out there does. And when, for the love of God, did Goth become emo? and if they are different, why are they different?

And what genre do bands like "Fallout Boy" and "Panic at the Disco" fall into?

I think I'm getting old.........

User Info Menu

fallout boy and panic at the disco and MCR all pretty much branched off of the punk rock genre, they all sound pretty similar

it all seemed to happen after blink 182, they seem to be like the originals of it getting so popular

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    fallout boy and panic at the disco and MCR all pretty much branched off of the punk rock genre, they all sound pretty similar

it all seemed to happen after blink 182, they seem to be like the originals of it getting so popular
    See, now that is what I figured too - but I was told by someone who is, like, totally into punk, that MCR is actually Emo not punk (they actually kind of got offended at me believing that MCR is punk) and also, I don't think MCR sounds like Fallout Boy or PATD. Actually, songs like "Thanks for the Venom" and "This is How I Disappear" and that are generally heavier and faster than the stuff that Fallout Boy and PATD play.

Also, previously, in another thread I named Braking Benjamin as one of my fav heavy rock bands - to which I was told that Breaking Benjamin isn't heavy rock - which then also would mean that Incubus and Hoobastank aren't heavy rock either - but what are they? They are certainly heavier than say, Jet (just for an example) who is considered rock, but apprently not heavy to be in the same genre as Foo Fighters (another band that had been mentioned in said thread).

I just find it all very confusing.

User Info Menu

To me Incubus is more a progressive rock band than anything else. They combine a lot of different elements into their music to construct their own individual sound. I like Incubus.

I don't know much about Hoobastank, although, I'd probably classify them as a soft rock band. Their songs seem to be a bit more "ballad-esque" and slower than most rock bands.

Nickelback, well, I'd probably just say that they are Hard Rock. Well, they were at least for their first 2 major albums (Silver Side Up and The Long Road) but I think they're trying to change their sound now. They're becoming a bit more like Soft Rock really.

As for Silverchair, their old stuff was great. Stuff off Frogstomp up to Diorama was pretty great. But their latest album is rubbish, it's too "preaching to the masses" for my tastes. I don't like a band that changes their sound to better fit in. I prefer Necrobutcher's (Mayhem) approach - "We never bargain with ourselves, we just do it - and if you don't like it, well, *expletive deleted* you". I prefer bands that stay true to the music that they want to play, rather than bands who play what people want to hear. It seems more real to me. Silverchair has become mainstream.

About Powderfinger, they're a good enough band, but if people in bands keep moving off to try solo projects, it just kills it for me. I mean, he still has to have people play the other instruments, so what has he done, basically made sure that he is the only person actually getting any recognition for a combined effort. I just don't think its right. Powderfinger would probably fall under the soft rock category for me as well.

That'll be enough for now I think,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i break it down into two genres....good and bad.
    incubus = good
    hoobastank = bad

rock (or any music) music should be diverse, without labels.

as far as what seperates emo from other bands that sing about personal pain and emotion.....
    blues music sings about personal hardships, love, heartbreak, opression...ect
    emo singers are mad becuz thier mom made them clean thier room.

disclaimer.... please, never take my opinions on this or any subject too seriously. they are all in fun. i just like to mess with people and stir up a little smack talk.

User Info Menu

here goes
    incubus- funk rock
    foo fighters- rock/ alternative
    MCR/fall out boy/patd- emo/screamo
    breaking benjamin- alternative rock
    hoobastank- soft rock/ alternative
    nickleback- post grunge (early stuff), hard rock and blues stuff (later albums)
    although i'm not sure if these are correct i think i did a pretty good job.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    here goes
    incubus- funk rock
    foo fighters- rock/ alternative
    MCR/fall out boy/patd- emo/screamo
    breaking benjamin- alternative rock
    hoobastank- soft rock/ alternative
    nickleback- post grunge (early stuff), hard rock and blues stuff (later albums)
    although i'm not sure if these are correct i think i did a pretty good job.
    while most of those bands dont really sound anything alike, i would pretty much lump them all into the one catagory of ROCK. rock as being just about any radio friendly pop music using traditional electric rock type instruments such as distorted electric guitar, bass, and strong backbeat drums. it seems to me that any time a band comes around with an original rock sound that people like, the labels are very quick to sign the next 50 bands to idolize and immitate the original. thus making a scene or a genre.
    to me it sounds like there should be an entire genre called NICKELBACK. does anyone here understand what i mean by this? or am i alone?
    it's like i said in the metal thread, the first 10 or so bands that broke away and took it farther and darker than slayer were originally called death metal. definatly a different breed of metal from the thrash it came from. and then all of a sudden you were death metal if you sounded like napalm death and doom metal if you sounded like obituary, melodic death metal if you sounded like melevolent creation. i just dont see it all as being different genres as much as different sounds and styles within the same genre.
    i look at jazz the same way. why is there a need for big band, be bop, hard bop, free jazz, latin and afro cuban jazz, avant guard....ect. its pretty much all jazz to me. just played by different people in different contexts.
    i can open mindedly generalize rock, metal, jazz, country...ect genres without having to seperate every new sound that comes out with a new genre title.

wich all goes back to 2 genres, good and bad. the originals and some of the followers of every genre go in the good catagory. the 50 copycat bands (and label manufactured bands) that write songs with the intention of sounding like the original, just to get in on the coat tails of the scene...go in the bad catagory.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-03-2007 at 11:55 AM.