Thread: improving

User Info Menu

Default improving

iv noticed something for ahwile and it really sucks, i think it happens to everyone but im just gonna check.

say you really wanted to learn something on the drums, and after awhile you finally get it, your not like jumping up and down crying of happiness. its just kind of like, "oh cool i finailly learned it" and then you move on. so in other words, its never as good as you thought it would be. but i guess thats life huh?

User Info Menu

Aim for something really difficult. It's much more satisfying when you learn it then.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

true HB!

User Info Menu

i also think if you aim for something broad and not specific, you don't exactly know what you have accomplished.

User Info Menu

i think what it is, or what ive noticed is that once you do get to that point, then it you can just do it really easily and it just doesnt even seem like you accomplished anything cause it just seems so easy, but thats just me

oh and lafirin are you still having trouble with triplets on the bass drum, becasue my teacher gave me a whole sheet on doing stuff like that and i could scan it on here or something

User Info Menu

hey! thats a good one coke can, i love thinking deeply about that stuff and trying to figure those kinda things out, im sure we'll all figure it out once we get more knowladge. triplets well, iv gotten a little bit better now that im using the beggining of my pedal rather then the top, because the beginning of my pedal has my bounce. but thing is, i dont know if im good or bad at triplets because i cant compair it with anyone else.

User Info Menu

well if you just count it out its alot easier, take it slow and count it and speed it up everytime you go through

H1-e-&-a-2-e-&-a-3-e-&-a-4-e-&-a
    SX--------X--------X--------X-------
    B---o-o-o------o-o---o-o-o---o-o

if you can read that its a really good excercise for them and if u cant really understand it then tell me
    Last edited by coke_can; 08-02-2007 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

if i understahnd it correctly the triplet is on "e & a" and the double is on "e &" all doing 8th notes?

User Info Menu

Lafirin, it would be 16th notes.

Quarter notes= 1,2,3,4
    8th notes= 1&2&3&4&
    16th notes=1e&a,2e&a,3e&a,4e&a

Just trying to be helpful.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

oops my mistake, i meant 16th notes, thanks for the heads up PB!

User Info Menu

No sweat. Happy to be there, my friend! You watch my back, I'll watch yours!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

sounds good mate!

User Info Menu

oh my bad, play the hi hats with 8 notes, i completely messed up i was just trying to show where the bass drum would go, just do 8th notes on the hats and quarter notes on the snare

User Info Menu

okay, now i see why i thought it was 8th notes. :S

User Info Menu

I don't know what I was thinking about!! You guys were in sink all along!

User Info Menu

its all clear to me now

User Info Menu

I learnt my triplets in a different way...I did one hit on the hi hat, with a bass drum, and then another bass drum, and then another hi hat with bass drum hit. I kept on doing it till I got the hang of it, then I chained it together. After a while, I began implementing it into a standard rock beat, and then I broke it down again and started hitting 32nd notes with it (I like doing 1..ei2, sounds cool).

When I had my first lesson with my drum teacher yesterday, he was impressed with my bass drum skill and said that I also played very tight. THAT'S ONE UP FOR THE FROG!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...