Thread: Pork pie drums discussion

User Info Menu

Default Pork pie drums discussion

Well I looked and didn't see one for Pork Pie so I'm gonna add it to the list. I love Pork Pie Drums and I know i'm not the only one here. Questions, Comments, Concerns or others...Lets hear them all!
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pork pie drums discussion

Post some pics of those PP!

User Info Menu

I shared my drums with a young drummer this Saturday, and he brought his own snare. It was a Pork Pie Acrylic snare, and it sounded amazing. Somehow, I always thought that an acrylic snare would sound a little harsh, but I was very impressed - not only by the snare, but also by the drummer himself.

This was his snare (13X7):

Sorry about the size. I tried resizing it on Photobucket, but I keep getting the original size when I link it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I used to play a Pork Pie! 13"x7" with 31 vents.

I love that acrylic snare too, this guy uses one and I've always thought the sound was phenomenal. Maybe I'll pick one up someday. They can be had for pretty cheap.

C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I don't know much about them aside from I like the sound of their little squealer kits. And for the longest time I kept calling them Pork Pigs.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I want an acrylic just b/c they look cool.

User Info Menu

I currently own three PP snares -- the 13x7 vented maple LS, the Big Black Brass (BOB), and a 10x6 maple popcorn snare -- and I used to own a fourth, the 12x5 maple LS. They're a great value for the money. And there seem to be lots of snares in the LS line out there, so you can pick up any one of them for under 150 clams used, if you're patient. (Other than the 13x7, I bought each of my PP snares used for about 100 -- or less).
    kits:
    Mapex Saturn IV -- Transparent Espresso Walnut (10-12-14-16-22)
    RMV Bapeva shell -- Blue Sparkle (12-14-16-22)

snares:
    14x6.5 Yamaha seamless brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks vintage brass
    14x6.5 Taye Metalworks stainless steel
    14x6 Tama Starphonic brass
    14x6 Pork Pie maple
    10x6 Pork Pie maple

cymbals:
    14" K's and New Beats

20" Byzance Sand Ride
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    21" HHX Legacy Ride
    20" and 22" Dream Contact Crash/Rides

15" AAX Dark Crash
    16" Signature Fast Crash
    18" Saluda Earthworks Crash
    20" Crash of Doom

8" A Custom splash
    10" Signature splash

electronics:
    Roland SPD-30
    Alesis Sample Pad Pro

User Info Menu

I used to have a Pork Pie snare 13 x 4 from '99 when they were still a young company. I had never heard of them, but it sounded like what I was after from out of about 15 snares at the Guitar Center in San Diego. And, it was among the cheapest.
    I gave it to my brother as a gift when I got my new kit. I still miss that drum.
    Here she is! My purple Pork Pie Percussion 13 x 4 beauty, blown up from a pic with my '68 Sonors. Couldn't find one of her alone.

Last edited by Johnny G; 09-25-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Awesome guys...They are definitely known for their snare drums even though they have been making kits since 1987. The first true custom drum company and I bet Bill had no idea that he would start the "custom craze" that is going on now (over 20 years later) haha.

Here are a few pics of the different pie kits I have and tour with.

Maple Custom (24x20 Kick, 12x8 Rack, 16x16 Floor, Matching 14x7 Snare)

Maple Custom (20x20 Kick, 10x8 Rack, 14x14 Floor, 12x6 Orange Sparkle Snare Drum)

Brass Patina Snare Drum (13x7)

Birch Custom Natural Finish (22x18 Kick, 10x8 Rack, 14x14 Floor, 13x6 Matching Snare)(1 of 10 EVER produced by Pork Pie)
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Post some pics of those PP!
    DONE! haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by localdrummerweb View Post
    DONE! haha
    Good stuff. Love the green!

User Info Menu

Good stuff. Love the green!
    Thanks...The green kit is definitely my favorite...I have a bad case of G.A.S. so i'm sure there will be some new kits in the future as well!!

User Info Menu

I like the brass patina snare too. Looks wild. I'd love to pick up one of those or a PP acrylic snare some day. Maybe even a full PP kit.

User Info Menu

Nice kits, but definately not the first true custom drum company.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Nice kits, but definately not the first true custom drum company.
    what other ALL custom drum companies that were building kits in 1987 are still around with the exception of Ayotte and possibly DW? Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, Slingerland and all the other majors were never considered Custom Builders.

User Info Menu

I like the brass patina snare too. Looks wild. I'd love to pick up one of those or a PP acrylic snare some day. Maybe even a full PP kit.
    Patina sounds really good and the Acrylics do too. I had a clear acrylic that was pretty cool but I sold it a while back...I sell and trade all the time...Bad habits die hard!