Thread: Learning songs from sheet music

User Info Menu

Default Learning songs from sheet music

Hello,
    I was wondering is it possible to learn a song (on drums) using standard sheet music, not drum sheet music/tabs, but like, music for a piano?
    If so how do you go about figuring it out?
    Thanks,
    Lee

User Info Menu

No. The standard sheet music will have the melody and notes played. Drum sheet music is special. Unless it was included in the score, but I doubt it.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

um yeah you definatly can thats how i do it you just have to learn which drum is on which line it is really differant but it usually has the bass drum between the bottom two lines low tom above that then snare mid tom on the second line and hi tom between the first two lines umm hi hat is on the very top line as a regular x with a line unless it's a whole or half note then' it's more of a dimond shape with a line or without umm crash is like an astrix* (that thing w/e) and ride is and astrix above the very top line if you're confused look it up under standerd drum notation but yeah it's what i always use
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin
    um yeah you definatly can thats how i do it you just have to learn which drum is on which line it is really differant but it usually has the bass drum between the bottom two lines low tom above that then snare mid tom on the second line and hi tom between the first two lines umm hi hat is on the very top line as a regular x with a line unless it's a whole or half note then' it's more of a dimond shape with a line or without umm crash is like an astrix* (that thing w/e) and ride is and astrix above the very top line if you're confused look it up under standerd drum notation but yeah it's what i always use
    If you read the rest of his question, he stated "not drum sheet music/tabs, but like, music for a piano".

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I might be a beginner, but it seems like you might be able to figure out a basic rhythm based on the time signature, and the rhythm of the bass line on the sheet music.

What do you think? Could there be anything to that, or do I just sound like a newbie now?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB, nope, you're right. You can figure out a pretty basic beat from the bass line of a score. Actually, when recording, the bass player and drums usually are recorded at the same time as they should be syncronious (is that really a word??). I find that my bass player and I have to work very closely together.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

sheet music is unreadable to me because of my music dyslex-kia
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I think you mean 'synchronized'

And yeah, you can figure out a basic beat. But if you're trying to learn exactly what the drummer plays, you can't from the score. You need the proper drum sheet music.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yes, you are correct, HB. The complete score of a song would have the drum line (or section - depending upon whether it was a marching band or symphony) music as part of it.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    syncronious (is that really a word??).
    Stix
    Yep! Good word Stix. Spelled "synchronous." Playing "in sych" with each other is the same as being synchronous. Way to go bro.!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Learning songs from sheet music

There are "drum charts"--not tabs, but actually the drum parts written out as sheet music, with--as MrMojoRisin pointed out correctly--each drum and cymbal assigned to each note on the staff, with symbols indicating accents, closed hi-hats, rimshots, etc.

You see them more in lesson and practice books, but I have seen them for big-band and symphonic arrangements. (In one of my set lessons, I read the drum parts to Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" while listening and playing along to the original recording).

Unfortunately, Lee, a lot of drummers--for whatever reason--don't want to fool with learning to read the music from charts (and it does look a little funny to see a rock drummer reading off charts during a concert!). You might want to check out a store specializing in sheet music (such as is used in schools).

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    If you read the rest of his question, he stated "not drum sheet music/tabs, but like, music for a piano".

HB58
    ehh three words short attention span
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Fair enough

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    sheet music is unreadable to me because of my music dyslex-kia

Also known as being lazy.

User Info Menu

Busted your chops big time there, Ringo! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I am assuming that even in Sweden, you know what payback is Vinny!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    PB, nope, you're right. You can figure out a pretty basic beat from the bass line of a score. Actually, when recording, the bass player and drums usually are recorded at the same time as they should be syncronious (is that really a word??). I find that my bass player and I have to work very closely together.

Stix
    I love you stix. Your truecore and know what your on about :>

And sheet music is exactly what you have to play. So yes you can play a song with no music to sheet music... I dont know what every one else is trying to tell the poor boy.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Just left 2nd drum lesson, instructor looked at the sheet music, and said besides knowing tempo, it was allusless, except for lyris

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I dont know what every one else is trying to tell the poor boy.
    Poor Boy!!! Thanks Stevo, but I am 46 far from a boy, unless you ask my wife how I act sometimes
    Stevo-- WA--how far are you from Perth?

User Info Menu

near albany.....

Sorry i call everyone boy :P

Anywho i must be right. I played in a concertband. I played the drum part perfectlyish and i never heard the song before (Back when i could site read)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters