Thread: I Need Advice.....

User Info Menu

Default I Need Advice.....

My teacher wants me to make my singles and doubles more "musical". He makes singles and doubles sound really cool with different accents. I try this and it's difficult for me, it doesn't flow like it should in my opinion...... How do I work this out?

User Info Menu

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall! Practice, practice, practice! Don't sweat it too much. I would think it would be easier to go from mechanically correct to musical, than it would be to try to even out your strokes. You've come a long way. The next steps are not as big as they appear.

BTW, if your teacher wants your playing to be more "musical," try singing as you play, next time!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

he just wants you to think of the rudiment as a musical part of a song rather than an exercise. accents come in when you think of a melody and a rythm. just like when you hear a typical beat in a song you hear and feel the pulse of the song....boom boom tap boom boom tap. he wants you to be able to play your dbls and singles while accenting a melodic pulse. resulting in fluent, on time fills.

User Info Menu

there are accent exercises which make pretty cool rhythms and open up your mind to make up your own. take them slow and build them up from there and only concentrate on a couple at a time so you can really feel the pulse

User Info Menu

Mutter to yourself something like 'doo doo doo doo DOO doo'. Then play it, just as a single or double stroke, slowly at first, until you can move stuff around.

My teacher taught me that because I was having troubles with fills, he taught me if you have trouble with something and can't make it sound right, say it out and slow it down. He taught me Bonham triplets that way
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

DC, I was messing with you about the singing before, but not completely. Do you play to songs sometimes? Do you have a favorite song that you sing? Playing along with a song might help bring out the musical side of your playing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

HHmmmmm lets see here....

Take a simple single stroke roll...

rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrl

Now accent every other stroke with every other hand...

RlrLrlRlrLrlRlrL

See how it sounds more musical... I think it does anyway...

The servant of the song is the master.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger to Reason View Post
    HHmmmmm lets see here....

Take a simple single stroke roll...

rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrl

Now accent every other stroke with every other hand...

RlrLrlRlrLrlRlrL

See how it sounds more musical... I think it does anyway...
    Great, I'll try it. Any more accent exercises anyone??????

User Info Menu

my favourite at the moment is;

r L r l R l r L r l R r L r l..... played in whatever division you like. (large case is the accent...play the accents around the toms or cymbals.

User Info Menu

I think that if you ONLY do exersizes youll end up a robot.

My tip would be to put on an album hat you really like and play along. Take out or add as much or as little as you like. Great for creativity, musicality and great fun too!

User Info Menu

yay my drunken videos finally come in handy :P Have a look on my myspace www.myspace.com/stevo_42 In the video section i got two really long rolls i did. Youll hear how i drop some nots and some hit harder... Some i use as rim shots etc... not that great video it was on my phone (and my mates phone) But it sounds wicked.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

If you want to play more musical just practice and practice...
    I don't believe that you need many exersizes. Just sit behind the kit and play. If you can do it much time you will have a musical tone when you play.

User Info Menu

Hm not everything is an exersize..... This case its the opposite maybe. Feel and get into the music more so and like get itno the flow and emotion and feel where it should havea quick snap and where it should come down... Dynamics are alota fun.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters