Thread: Can't figure out hi-hat patterns

User Info Menu

Default Can't figure out hi-hat patterns

Maybe I'm jumping ahead of myself on trying to learn something I'm not ready for but...

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to properly play eight and sixteen note patterns on the hi-hat. The kind that usually start off a song. Both using one hand and two.

Even when I put in a lot of practice on it they just don't sound smooth. I feel like I'm missing something important as to how they should be played.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can't figure out hi-hat patterns

Start slowly with a meteronome gradually speeding up the tempo.

User Info Menu

What's throwing you off? Just straight eighth and sixteenths? Start slow with a metronome is really the best way. Start REALLY simple too. Kick on 1 & 3 to keep a simple pattern and straight eighths on the HH. Just do that. One handed, RRRR.....
    Then add in a snare on 2 & 4 and see how that feels. and be sure to count along in your head or out loud if you need to.

User Info Menu

Mmm...maybe I didn't explain it correctly. I'm still figuring how to describe things using the right terminology.

This a song I'm working on. One hi-hat pattern starts the song and the other is at 2:38.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igD8kkjAmS4
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash

User Info Menu

Basic 16th notes do what I said start slowly.

User Info Menu

The very beginning is just straight sixteenths with an accent on the '+' of the "1 e + a" and a kick on every downbeat, 1, 2, 3, 4. At 2:38 it goes back to the same beat as the beginning. The parts on the ride cymbal are straight eighth notes, "1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +"

Are you self taught? Do you know how to properly count out rhythms? Not trying to insult you, just need a better understanding of your skill level.

User Info Menu

That's just two-handed 16th notes on the hats. In terms of rudiments this is a single stroke roll regardless of where it's played (hats, snare, practice pad). The only thing you are missing is practice. The longer you play them, the better they will sound. There is nothing you can do to make them sound good overnight.

As other's have said, just devote a few minutes of practicing these every day with a metronome. These can and should be practiced on a practice pad as well. After a few weeks they'll probably be significantly improved. After 6 months they'll be seamless.

I've been playing for 3 years now and I still practice single stroke rolls and double stroke rolls every single day since they as so fundamental to everything we play.

The big take away here is that you aren't "missing anything" and it's not any kind of deficiency with you. It takes all new players a lot of practice to be able to play nice smooth single stroke rolls at various tempos and various surfaces. Everyone just has to pay their dues and practice them methodically.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

It may be that you are hitting the hats all over the place and have yet to find their "sweet spot". Are you hitting the bell and the edge? Are you hitting them closed, partially open? These make a difference to the sound. You'll never sound consistant hitting hats all over the place (sometimes open or closed or tight or sloshy...)Even the part of the stick you favor to hit the hats counts. And like everybody has said: practice your sticking!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Slinglander, you are right on about the sweet spot and where how to hit. I think that's where my problem lies. Working on different things now to try to find the sound I'm after.

I work on my singles and doubles first thing every time I sit down and play, which is almost every day. I'm doing pretty good (for someone playing a year), on the snare and not too bad on the toms. But for some reason when it comes to moving it over to the hats or ride I have issues. I'm thinking it may have to do with my hand positioning so also working on that.

Was getting really frustrated with this so took a couple of days to work on other things and leave this issue alone. When I went back to it I could hear an improvement but still have a way to go.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash

User Info Menu

Rain, how high do you have your hihat stand? If you want to find the sweet spot as sling mentioned, the height of the stand has alot to do with playing smooth 16th notes on the hihat cymbals. If you set the stand too high, you catch the edges of the hats on the shoulder of the stick and the distance to the snare will increase. Set the hihat stand too low and you end up with very little room for a solid snare stroke. My advice to you is to experiment with the height of your hihat stand, throne and snare to see if height adjustment on all three will help with smoother playing.

As far as the video, I hear the drummer lifting his foot off of the hihat pedal to create an "open" hat stroke as he plays the 16th note pattern on the hihat. Is that the part you're missing in your pattern when you are trying to nail this song? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Listen to the beginning of the " The Zephyr song" by the red hot chili peppers. it helped me.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Funny thing about the hats: they have little re-bound for the sticks, worse when you hit as they open! As with the ride, hitting just plain, unforgiving metal is different than hitting drum heads, so even that takes getting used to. Easiest way to begin to play hats is either with your foot off the pedal or with the clutch loose so the rod moves but the hats don't(both methods which allow you to bounce your left leg to keep time but not change the hat sounds.) This allows you to work at hitting the hats the same way-at the sweet spot-and not get those open or inadvertently, distracting sloshy sounds. Those come later with more control.
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-04-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Here is a tool Ive used for years: Windows Media Player for one media player I use; When you click on a tune and open with: Windows Media Player and the screen comes up...Right click it and choose "Enhancements" then choose the Speed setting tool...it will allow you to slow down the tempo but not change anything else...that way you can slow it to the point you can hear exactly what the drummer is actually playing...this will make doing it a lot easier...*practice it "slowly" - once you can do it without getting it wrong...then gradually pick up the tempo until you can play it at any tempo you so desire.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

How you move is how you sound. If your grip is too tight and/or you're playing too hard, you're going to get a stiff sound from the instrument, be it hihats or anything else. Make sure your grip is relaxed and your movements are fluid. You'd be surprised at the difference in sound.

User Info Menu

Those are straight 16th with an appropriately placed accent. Practice, practice, practice. Start slowly, use a metronome and practice, practice, practice. Did I mention practice?