Thread: arrggghhhh Tama Roadpro hihat stand got sniped.

User Info Menu

Default arrggghhhh Tama Roadpro hihat stand got sniped.

Found an auction for a like new Tama Roadpro hihat stand going for 15 and bid 34 for it and it was only an hour to go. Seem like nobody was bidding at all so I relaxed and stopped checking. Next thing I know an ebay sniper got in a bid for a bit over and too late sniped! he got it for 35 plus shipping!

It looked like new, dang! Somebody is a happy hooter tonight.

User Info Menu

Default Re: arrggghhhh Tama Roadpro hihat stand got sniped.

I feel ya man. The snipers are a pain!! I have lost a few good deals because of them.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Opps. Sometimes even snipers get sniped though.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I feel your pain. I was outbid by 60 cents one time for an item I was sure that was $50.00 higher than the lowest bid in the last 5 seconds. The highest bid wins, sniper, sniper software or not.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-04-2012 at 08:54 AM.

User Info Menu

and the darn thing was I was getting prepped to be ready for it with a max bid to post in the last few sec for about $56 if anyone tried then relaxed too much and didn't check.

FYI if you have the ebay app on your iphone by the time you hear the outbid tone on a sniper you're cooked anyway.

Well I'm trolling still and there are always more auctions...that will soothe the GAS attack.

User Info Menu

That's the name of the game on ebay. Never bid until the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Well spoken Mr. New Hats'n'Cymbals dude....

User Info Menu

There are quite a few snipers here on this site. If you are listening quit being dirty about it man and play it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    Well spoken Mr. New Hats'n'Cymbals dude....
    Well played, but I didn't buy any of that new gear on ebay. Just solid deal hunting!

User Info Menu

Ya marko tis true there's still alot of areas to find drum stuff in like the old days. Pawn shops, resale shops, good old CL the new classifieds and even estate sales if you have time to attend.

I find too that after a period of building up a new kit as I'm doing now I settle into just working on the chops, tweaking the kits settings, tunings, etc.. More in maintence mode with a little trolling on the side for the odd goodie to two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    There are quite a few snipers here on this site. If you are listening quit being dirty about it man and play it right.
    Gotcha Pearl M. Some of that is just the way of the world. Lurkers looking for posts on "hey guys I'm bidding on a almost new..." will often be around these sites I expect. In some cultures shanking a buddy in a deal is seen as an attribute of skill and manliness not just being a chisler. All depends on which side of the road you live on sometimes.

My post was just Arggghhh! therapy for the day. thanks for the affimations, I feel better now.

Ahhhhh...

later

User Info Menu

he got it for 35 plus shipping!
    We spent more on pizza last night for dinner. I feel your pain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    We spent more on pizza last night for dinner. I feel your pain.
    Thanks late-ate.... arggggghhhh! about out of my system now.

User Info Menu

Explain, please.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Yeah I always wait until the end to bid as well but I've lost a few super deals too on eBay. :(
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Explain, please.
    I think what Pearl M is talking about is it's been known that some ebayers haunt or lurk on forums to see if members talk about some great deal they are trying to get on ebay. Things like instruments, tools, electronics maybe even cars they'll look for postings from folks unknowing talking about deal so they can search for it a then snipe 'em for the snatch.

I learned about this pratice on one of my woodworking forums. I often only post my wins after the fact. But like marko112232333 I'm also checking local places, CL and other sources too. Sometimes you can find a deal at the real music store on used gear they can't move. If you can pull out real green and say "how about $??? for that snare?" who knows?

User Info Menu

I think what Pearl M is talking about is it's been known that some ebayers haunt or lurk on forums to see if members talk about some great deal they are trying to get on ebay. Things like instruments, tools, electronics maybe even cars they'll look for postings from folks unknowing talking about deal so they can search for it a then snipe 'em for the snatch.

I learned about this pratice on one of my woodworking forums. I often only post my wins after the fact. But like marko112232333 I'm also checking local places, CL and other sources too. Sometimes you can find a deal at the real music store on used gear they can't move. If you can pull out real green and say "how about $??? for that snare?" who knows?
    That's what I thought he meant. You think that this actually happens a lot? I guess that wouldn't be a very honest thing to do. But really, it's a free country, right? I have the same chance as anyone else does to win an auction. Who's to say that they didn't search and find the item on their own?
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TamadudeNJ View Post
    Yeah I always wait until the end to bid as well but I've lost a few super deals too on eBay. :(
    That's how I do it as well. I can't see bidding myself up early in the auction when you know there are people waiting to take it away from you. Watch it till the end, put up what you feel it's worth, roll the dice. If you win, cool, if you don't oh well. Try again next time. Nothing is deemed yours till it's over.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

If I recall a lot of the lurking and sniping was happening on the forums related to collecting or collectibles like antiques, dolls, old tools, etc. Unknowng members would post about items they were bidding on then bam they'd get sniped. Mods starting watching users who were online a lot but never posting and put two and two together. Some people in the past were making a killing ebaying goods from there and then reauctioning them for much more.

Anyway who knows now...?

Years ago guys use to go to wholesale stero clubs and by all this gear, put it in the trunk of their car and go to NYC and do the "Psssst hey Buddy wanna deal on a stero?" routine on some chump. Folks would gladly pay retail for a stero they "thought" was hot and hence a deal. Oh my....

User Info Menu

I never talk about what I'm watching on ebay for this reason. Not that I don't trust you guys...but....LOL.

User Info Menu

Funny I never thought this thread would go this long. But it's a common enough experience for musicians I expect since lots of us are looking to streeeetch the dollar when we need or want more gear.

On the reverse view having something like ebay keeps us from having to prowl the local music shops, used things, pawns, etc. so much for that xxx item.

I remember taking the train to the City (when I lived in NJ) with a bassist buddy to shop for an acoustic bass. We shopped all over "Music alley" where Sam Ash and all the local competition was. He ended up making a deal in a shop that was about as big as a bathroom. We then took a bus to their warehouse to pick it up. Only in NYC can some young dudes have a full size acoustic bass on a sidewalk plunking a tune to check it out and have hardly anyone look sidewise at you. We splurged and got a taxi back to Grand Central with the bass across our laps and the scroll sticking out of my window. The cab driver took a corner so sharp he conked an old lady who had just stepped off the curb with the scroll. Thankfully the bass was okay. Then we're on the 4:15 back to NJ with a seat for the bass. Some of the commuters asked my friend if he was going the play a tune on the way back. BTW the bass was a Kaye and we grooved on some cool Wes Montgomery when we got back together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    No need to worry about keeping track of it timewise, just set up automatic bidding.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments