Thread: Mapex MyDentity kits/ anyone own one?

User Info Menu

Default Mapex MyDentity kits/ anyone own one?

I'm curious if anyone has one of the Mapex MyDentity Maple kits? If so how do you like it? How does it sound? how is the build quality?

I'm considering picking up one of these with a White Rock Pearl finish, chrome hardware. The price is right at $1099.00

26x16 kick
    13x10 tom
    16x16 fl tom
    18x16 fl tom
    14x6 snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex MyDentity kits/ anyone own one?

maple or birch ?

User Info Menu

My buddy that I drum tech for just got his in. We're putting new heads and tuning it up tomorrow, actually. Mydentity birch black hardware with a silver sparkle to black fade - 10x8, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 22x18. It's a great looking kit, actually.

However, With the garbage typical Remo UK stock heads, the kit doesn't sound anything near as good as it should, but I'll make that thing sing tomorrow for sure.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    My buddy that I drum tech for just got his in. We're putting new heads and tuning it up tomorrow, actually. Mydentity birch black hardware with a silver sparkle to black fade - 10x8, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 22x18. It's a great looking kit, actually.

However, With the garbage typical Remo UK stock heads, the kit doesn't sound anything near as good as it should, but I'll make that thing sing tomorrow for sure.
    Yeah I've hear the stock heads were junk. Let me know how it sounds with some new heads on it. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Nechre, Which heads are you switching to?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

they look cool wonder about the sounds

User Info Menu

Well, unfortunately my friend got tied up working on redoing his kitchen, so we didn't end up getting together today. I'll make sure to grab some pictures when we finally swap the drumheads and try to get some kind of sound recording.

Sling. We're going to put clear G2s over clear G1s on the toms and a superkick 2 (?) on the kick. He likes the superkick more than the Emad or Gmad.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

stock heads on any drum kit are garbage. im sure that will sound find though once you get it all tuned up with new heads.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    stock heads on any drum kit are garbage. im sure that will sound find though once you get it all tuned up with new heads.
    i agree and disagree

at a particular price point you get good heads ...above the $3000 mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Tama ships many of their kits with Evans G1 and G2. So, while usually that's a true statement...

User Info Menu

My '57 Gretsch Renowns came from the factory with coated G1 over a 'no name' blank clear reso for toms. The snare came with a coated G1 over 300 hazy and cheap snares. The kick came with an EMAD batter over a Gretsch stock coated reso. I'd give Gretsch a C+ grade for the factory set-up on the Renowns.

User Info Menu

yeah I suppose kits that are like $1500+ come with real heads.

However, DW really needs to get a grip and ditch those garbage remo heads they ship with. They go bad after a week of playing, so thin.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

So I know this is an old thread... but I was searching and found it.

Yesterday I built a kit and sent it to a local music store.
    I built a super simple kit: 1 up and 2 down
    BD: 20X20 Virgin Kick
    SD: 13X6
    RT: 12x7 (Will use snare basket)
    FT: 14x14
    FT: 16x14

I think matching depth floor toms will visually look pretty awesome.
    Can't wait to see what kind of price tag they put on it. '
    Wrap is Arizona Sunset Pearl
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 03-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice I had one built but never ordered it...yet. I have always wanted Birch Toms and Maple snare and Bass drum. That sunset pearl is awesome.
    Last edited by MDK; 03-20-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO