Thread: wipeout

User Info Menu

Default wipeout

if you listen to wipe out, everytime he does the solo on the drums the sound of the drum gets lower, what do you think hes using, the snare, hi tom, mid tom, and low tom? if so then their tuned pretty darn tight!

User Info Menu

Erm...
    I dunno about this, I saw a video where they guy was doing it on different parts of the drums...
    BUT, when I was mucking about with my old kit before, I thought that I might as well beat the crap out of it before I sold it. I started hitting 32nd notes like he was (but without the accents) and after a while the thing began untuning itself. This might have been because it was rubbish and had bad lugs and so on, but even so, it untuned itself very fast. So maybe that sound is his drum untuning itself each time he does it? Probably not though xD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

that or a tiny leprechaun is using a drum key while he's doing it to de-tune his drums.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    that or a tiny leprechaun is using a drum key while he's doing it to de-tune his drums.
    im almost 100% sure thats it, WOW!!! why didnt i think of that... im so dumb sometimes thanks ringo U da man

User Info Menu

Cool wipeout

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    if you listen to wipe out, everytime he does the solo on the drums the sound of the drum gets lower, what do you think hes using, the snare, hi tom, mid tom, and low tom? if so then their tuned pretty darn tight!
    on the first drum solo he's playing a high-tuned side tom, but on the second and third solos it sounds like he's playing the floor tom. Most rock drum kits in the '60's had four pieces (snare, bass, side and floor tom). A crash or ride cymbal took the place of the second side tom (look at the "smilie" of the Beatle-style drum set for a graphic...

I agree the dude's got the side tom pretty darn tight...but if you ever hear the 1959 recording "Bongo Rock" by Preston Epps, the bongo solos he's play'n sound almost identical to what the Surfaris' (or Ventures) drummer does on the set...

I think Epps' recording inspired "Wipeout."
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanks BB! i knew they had to have something tuned tight. it almost sounds like 2 different snares tuned differently doesnt it?