Thread: practice mic?

User Info Menu

Default practice mic?

So i have started to take drum lessons to try and fix all of the self taught techniques i have . One thing that my teacher does is record me playing and it shows when i am on or off beat. i really find this helpful.

so he is using a blue mickey into his iphone and for what it is it works pretty well. I do not have a iphone but was thinking of a snowball into a laptop for now. Eventually i would like to mike the whole kit. But for now i am interested in any feed back on a good mic for recording into a laptop for practice.

I do not want to overload the mic. I play in a garage with little sound treatment. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: practice mic?

Quote Originally Posted by bytor View Post
    I play in a garage with little sound treatment. Any ideas?
    put a couch in front of the kick and try get rid of 90 degree angles ...the quickest way with out changing the room it self

you could make short drum risers if the floor is the problem

you just want to cut down on refection's

User Info Menu

i've hung blankets on boom stands around the kit to cut down on the reflections in my garage... anything in the corners or in front of the hard surfaces can help.

User Info Menu

thanks for the ideas. But i am not really looking for sound treatment but rather a descent mic for recording into a laptop for practice. I ultimately would like to get several mic's but for now i am looking for something like a Blue snowball. That zoom sounded pretty good as welll.

User Info Menu

I would just get a nice USB mic .. Or an affordable mic and I/O

User Info Menu

Just remember your only going to sound as good as the kit and te room