Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HUGE Drumset

User Info Menu

Default HUGE Drumset

If you could afford a huge drumset and had a roadie set it up for you for free on all your gigs, would you play one? Be honest now.

User Info Menu

Default Re: HUGE Drumset

I guess it would all depend on how you define huge. The short answer would be, "Yes." The longer version would be, "Yes, as long as it's not too huge. I think I'd draw the line at 49.5 pieces."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

49 is ok .. any more is too much PB??

I have a some odd thousand Piece kit .. of course I can only play I think 19 at a time .. I love haveing an e-kit ..

I do spend a lot of time trying to figure out what to program in to my accesory pads so on that note it would be awesome to have a nice big fatty 40 piece .. plus cymbals of course .. but of course I often pull a couple pads and just play a 4 piece for fun .. so my answer is .. .. Goat.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    If you could afford a huge drumset and had a roadie set it up for you for free on all your gigs, would you play one?

If i remember correctly this is his small kit LOL.

the drummer for mary j blige and the american idol tour, has a dw performance kit so big that its actually like 3 kits. He has the main kit in the middle then to the left he has what he calls his ****tail kit, even though he sits down to play it. It has a small dw performance bass drum 2 e kit toms and like 3or4 effects cymbals like a stack mini hats an ozone crash(i forget which one i think apx) and a few other cymbals. then he has off to his right I believe a gong drum, e pad a floor tom a couple of crashes that he has sitting over there cuz he has a million and 1 cymbals, then he has another snare and i think another pair of hihats. The way I listed this configuration may be wrong, But what stuck out to me is that his kit is so big that he actually has 3 in one. But when you play many different styles of music in one gig I guess its necessary.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

Yes! think Alex VH or Kiss that big would be fun
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've pretty much always played a fairly large kit. I always set it up myself and never wished I was playing something smaller. We play the kits that fit our style. I grew up listening to and imitating Neil Peart's drumming , so I ended up playing large kits. Eventually I developed my own style but it was born from my love for Rush's music and Neil's drumming so that's the type of kit I built around myself.

Bozzio's kit, very nice but I'd never have the need for that much.

The biggest I ever had was my Premier triple bass kit .

User Info Menu

I started with a bigger kit than I play now. A year ago I might have said yes. But I think now I'd probably still stick to a 4 piece. I like being different. Usually when we show up at a gig with other metal bands I have the fewest drums. I like that.

Having said that, a big kit can be a lot of fun. I'm on the fence.

User Info Menu

Absolutely not. No need for that many drums. Not today, tomorrow or ever!

Is it just me?.. or...it seems the more drums in the band the more soul-less and groove-less the music. Wondering.

all the best...

User Info Menu

No

User Info Menu

I love big kits. Heck with the roadie I can set 'em up just fine. But I have to assume that along with a roadie comes the BUDGET to pay for the drum heads!
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

no way . i dont like huge sets .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Is that one of Terry Bozio's kits? Looks like it would be fun to play but I don't know if I'd want to set that up all the time.

User Info Menu

I think those huge kits look cool but I'm certainly not talented enough to play one. Even with the cost is no object approach a 6 piece is enough for what I like to play. I'd skip the mega kit.

User Info Menu

If the music that you play justifies having a big set like that, then why not? I have played all sorts of sized kits, from big two bass drum set-ups to a kick/snare/ hi-hat/cymbal set up for playing funk, and a lot of different kind of set-ups in between, as I set up according to what the music requires. I do the same thing with percussion set ups.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

NO. anything more than 6 piece is way to big. Cymbals are awesome. though. The more cymbals the better
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

I'd agree with drum-dedore if you are a working musician you try to fit into what is called for. My personal preference is kinda of what I'm building which is a 5 to 6 pc drum kit with more cymbals and percussion add-on that could be fair size but not mega-kit.

If I had mad money for all kinds of drums I'm thinking it'd be hybrid of drumble-d's place with the percussion stuff and TDNJ's Tama collection but more of it...and a manservant to bring me my hot tea.

User Info Menu

Most definitely. Why would you not? Playing a big kit is a blast. Tons of different option and sounds to experiment with. I always laugh when I hear someone say they would never take the time to set up a 6 piece kit, that's why I only play a 1 up 1 down. That's a 4 piece. 2 more drums is a no no? Funny. If you set up a 6 piece, and only want to play a 4 piece, don't use the other 2 toms that day?!? The mith stating that you are forced to be more creative with a smaller kit? That's a misnomer. Your able to be way more creative with a bigger kit. The real statement should be that your limited to what you can play with a smaller kit. You can play everything from AC/DC to Yes on a big kit. On a small kit, not so much. Just my opinion.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

If I'm gettin paid "by the drum", heck yea!!!!!!!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

This would do me.

User Info Menu

Of course. The idea is to have more notes available in an instrument, not less. I can make do with less, but i'd rather have more. It's a bit like rudiments - can you play songs using flams and single stroke rolls? Sure you can, but it limits the drum parts you can play if everything is based on 2 or 3 rudiments. And guitar playing will suffer if you only know 2 chords. It's a similar idea. I wouldn't say it definitely makes more creativity happen if you have more drums, but there is a greater potential and possibility to extend your playing.
    Last edited by Russ; 10-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Is that one of Terry Bozio's kits? Looks like it would be fun to play but I don't know if I'd want to set that up all the time.
    Lol yea thats why i said thats one of his small kits. I saw a video of thomas pridgen playing this kit and when he was done the guy showing him around was like "cmon the big kit is in the back". LOL
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I believe in never compromising the spacing of a four piece when I add drums (expect I don't mind putting the ride over when I play two up) so I'd probably just stick with a 6 piece with a double pedal. Maybe throw a set of roto toms up on the left above the hats. I'd probably go for a couple more cymbals than my standard hats, ride, and two crash setup.

User Info Menu

Heck yes. Perhaps not as big as Bozzio's, though. Something like this, minus the smallest rack tom and a couple of cymbals:

Last edited by xweasel; 10-06-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

My son's drum teacher had a chance to play with Bozio and sit behind one of his kit. He said that it's an amazing feat of engineering and design that is remarkably more comfortable to play than it looks like it should be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Heck yes. Perhaps not as big as Bozzio's, though. Something like this, minus the smallest rack tom and a couple of cymbals:

That looks very similar to Kollias' current setup. How hot or cold am I?

I think big kits for the sake of being big are a bit of a showboat kind of thing. "Big" is okay if you can justify all the pieces of it. On one of Derek Roddy's DVDs, There's a part in the special features where he's going through his kit. He says, "just a fairly minimalistic setup". This is a guy with two kicks, two snares, two China's, two Rides, three Crashes, 2 Splashes, 6 pedals etc. But he uses every part of it. Each and every bit is essential, and he uses all of it, so this kit is indeed minimalistic. What he plays called for every bit of his kit.There are lots of guys like that, with "big" kits but they use it all, and to me they don't seem big anymore. So I'm kind of de-sensitized as to what a "big" drumset is, I don't really see it in terms of big or small anymore.

Myself, I'd only want a 9 piece with 10 cymbals. But I can justify all of it, so it doesn't really seem that big to me. Any more would get in the way, any less I suppose I could still play, but that's what I want.

Remember, ladies and gentlemen. It's not the size, it's what you do with it.