Thread: Help!

User Info Menu

Default Help!

Hi! Iv got a CB drum kit. whenever i play everything is sounds hollow and echos and it sounds rubbish to play, the snare echos, but the tom toms are worst as they are to loud, the kits i play on at school are better because they are quiet, could it be that my kit is to new or something??
    Do i need to tightrn or loosen the skins?? Help!!

Thanks
    Drum-Drum

User Info Menu

Smile

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html

Start with this link. Tuning is everything. If you want less ring then you need to replace the heads with usually 2 ply heads for toms,bass,and snare side batter heads. This works well if playing rock, metal, or punk. There are also many dampening devices available to cut down on ring and overtones. But go to this site and read up. There is just so much to learn when trying to get a great drum sound. Its all part of learning to play drums.
    Good luck and Rock ON!
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

Hey Drum-Drum,
    I play a CB kit as well. First things first, GET RID OF THE CRAPPY HEADS THAT CAME WITH IT!!!!! Top and bottom. I put on Remo 2-ply pinstripes on top and bottom and also put Evens E-Rings on them. They sound awesome!!! An Evans EMAD head on the bass drum batter side and a 6" wide piece of felt stretched across the inside of the resonant head gave the bass drum some serious thump!

That's the best combo I've come up with so far. My bandmates say my kit sounds like a million bucks now. Rock on!!!!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

unless ur broke...then just tighten ur heads(top and bottom) pretty good but not too much and then tape a little bit of folded up paper towel around the edge........as far as the snare goes....just tighten it as much as u can without breaking it and then make sure your snare wires are very tight too...and use allitle paper towel if u want...

User Info Menu

omg mine has like a tipani (there those huge percussustionest drums right?) sound, well the toms anyway. its so annoying!!! i hate it! now will somone please explain in "begginer language" what "heads" are... where they lay sit or just plain are on a tom.

how much are they each?
    please and thankyous all around!

(I LOOKEDO NTHE NET>>> ARE "HEADS" the top skins and bottom skins?
    Last edited by leeman; 07-28-2006 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, heads are the skins. If you ask your local music store for some e-rings, they will gladly sell them to you. they cost about $20 for a set( enough for all your toms) and give you the most sound improvement. You can also get some sticky gels that you put on the heads that help some too. Heads usually run $10 - $20 each , while the bass drum heads run $15 - $60 each. Check prices at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Help!

Might want to check with someone at your drum shop--or someone who knows a little more about drum heads--because there are different types of heads whose sounds may be closer to what you want...some tom heads, even when properly tuned, will sound like tympani whether you want them to or not

Keep the beat goin'!