Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoomatic strainer-Slingerland

User Info Menu

Default Zoomatic strainer-Slingerland

So, I noticed somebody on CL selling something that wasn't what they said it was (I know, typical). It was advertised as a Ludwig snare. It acutally just had a Ludwig head on it. I looked closer and saw a 3 line chrome shell with a black oval badge. Ding, ding, ding. 14x6.5, 10 lug, Slingerland COB. Potential CL score.

Before I go and fork over any money, I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with Zoomatic strainers. I have heard that they can be touchy/easily damaged if the tension knob is misused. I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone here might have.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zoomatic strainer-Slingerland

Awesome snares. Never owned one, but i've been trying to get my hands on a deal for one. Just curious, how cheap are they asking?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

One hundred clams with a snare stand. It's practically theft.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

There is a problem with the Zoomatic, especially the early ones. When the tension knob is overtightened, a part contacts the shell and can damage the wrap. You can read about it and a whole lot more Zoomatic history here:
    http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj...oomatic-1.html

Don't let that deter you from this score. Mine has worked perfectly since 1965. Nice find!

Cheers!

Strider
    Last edited by Strider; 10-09-2012 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Strider, thanks for the information. It sounds like it's only problematic when overtightened, and looking for a dent near the top of the assembly sounds like an easy way to tell if it's been abused.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

For that price jump on it man I mean Slingerland COB are hard to find. I bought a vintage Slingerland ' festival' snare for more than that and it chrome over steel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    For that price jump on it man I mean Slingerland COB are hard to find. I bought a vintage Slingerland ' festival' snare for more than that and it chrome over steel.
    Yeah, can't resist. I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow. I just hope that nobody buys it out from under me in the meantime.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Yeah, can't resist. I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow. I just hope that nobody buys it out from under me in the meantime.
    Make sure it is a COB or you will get a steel shell. Visit vintage drum guide and you will find catalogues on slingerland drums. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Make sure it is a COB or you will get a steel shell. Visit vintage drum guide and you will find catalogues on slingerland drums. Good luck.
    I could clearly see the three lines across the middle of the shell in the picture and had him magnet test it for me. I'll bring my own magnet to double check at the drop, but it looks like a genuine COB Gene Krupa model.

I know what you're saying though. I once drove to a shop because they advertised a drum as a Slingerland COB, but when I got there there were no lines on the shell and a magnet stuck to it. Festival models aren't bad drums, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Nice find there on the Slingerland. Hope the deal works out for you.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I've always loved the zoomatic, I've owned several krupas and a couple of artist models, never had any problems. I do see lots for sale with the tension knob broken off, which is not repairable. As long as the knob on the strainer is intact, $100 is a deal.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Well, the knob on the strainer wasn't intact. However, the shaft looked to be intact and I could turn it with the tips of my fingers. So, I pulled the trigger anyway. $90 for the snare and a fairly heavy stand was too good to pass up, even with the broken knob. It looks like a could jerry rig something or scour ebay for a replacement strainer and still be coming out ahead. I'll try to get some pictures later.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Smart score, m8! Bandito, lol! Do what you have to do to it. Enjoy!

Cheers!

Strider

User Info Menu

It really did happen...

Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the good score weezy! Looks like it will clean up nice too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The person selling thought it was a Ludwig? . nice drum good size.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Any idea how old it is. You can go by the serial numbers on it to give you some idea on the time line. So is it a COB? congrats like PB says once cleaned up and shine she should look good.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone. I haven't tried to date it by the serial yet, but the zoomatic does have the idiot tab at the top. I think he thought it was a Ludwig because it had a Ludwig branded batter head on it. The chrome should polish up very nicely. There's some minor scratches, but nothing ghastly.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Here is a pic of my Festival that I bought 5 years ago just the way you see it. The badge is the same as on yours. When I bought it the guy said it was a Vintage 70's but after checking it out with the serial number turns out it was in the 80's. Oh well you win some and you lose some but my snare sounds great so overall I am happy with it. I also found that Slingerland numbers are not very accurate cause they just picked them out of a big bin etc.

User Info Menu

Great score, m8!

This is a rough guide to dating Slingy's by serial number, referred to me by our friend Pearl MCX Man

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcj...ers_page3.html

Cheers!

Strider

User Info Menu

Can't go by badge shapes-my '63 Slingerland maple snare has the same oval badge...different strainer, etc.
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-12-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: sp.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Question Re: Zoomatic strainer-Slingerland

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Can't go by badge shapes-my '63 Slingerland maple snare has the same oval badge...different strainer, etc.
    What color is your oval badge on your 63 slingerland.

User Info Menu

Sorry Slinglander just noticed that you said it was same color. So what kind of strainer is on yours then.

User Info Menu

Nice score Weezy, the 6.5s are a bit harder to find, especially with 10 lugs. Even with the cost of a replacement strainer it'll be a heck of a deal!

Slingerland is extremely easy to date, the link Strider posted is pretty accurate. Yours being the black/silver badge will be after the restart of serial numbers in 1970.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Nice!