Thread: To Be Completely Honest...

User Info Menu

Default To Be Completely Honest...

I think there are too many forum sections, atleast for Drumchat. This is in no way criticizing the website, I just think it will prosper in a more concise structure of sections.

Here's my piece by piece opinion on each section:

Drumset - It's a staple, never going to die
    General Chat - Same as above, even capable of taking over for other sections as I will outline
    Hardware/Gear - It's fine, gets a lot of views
    Cymbals - Same as above
    Questions and Answer - Good
    Tuning/Maintenance - Possibly combine with Gear section
    Famous Drummers - Great idea, gets a lot of attention now and then
    Marching - I respect it, but the general section is enough to cover the occasional topic (It's not very popular)
    Percussion - Good section that I feel will prosper if put up higher with others
    Reviews - Doesn't seem to get enough attention, most opinion based thoughts are covered in other sections
    Drumming.Com - Not sure why this is a section, but it should be properly advertised/represented
    Electronic Drums - Same as percussion
    Videos - Somewhat solid section
    Recording drums - Same as marching, the larger sections are enough to cover for it.
    Album Reviews - Good idea, not very popular though, if anything it could always be combined with the regular review section
    Off Topic - Great Section, kinda wish it was up with the main sections
    Where Do You Live - Can be covered in off topic as a sticky thread as it is not very lively
    Happiness - Same as above
    All the drum bum stuff and other sections that are composed only of a few stickied threads could probably be put together also.

Mostly my boredom caused me to make this sort of point. Drumchat is a close-knit family and I feel as though if we kept the sections in low numbers we could get a much more lively environment.

User Info Menu

Default Re: To Be Completely Honest...

Interesting. But I like it just the was it is. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Maybe it's not broke and can be improved? I don't know.

I like it though.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

In theory, maybe condensing the topics would bring us closer together. I don't see it actually working that way, though. :/
    -TBF

User Info Menu

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. LOL.

User Info Menu

I never navigate through different sections from the front page. I only ever go through New Posts up the top. I don't really mind what the layout is.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

+1 Exactly. I do the same
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

I think Properller man may have a point. Our drumming, if you think doing the same exercises and never adding anything is good (ain't broke) will you ever become a more diverse and skilled drummer? No. You must reveiw your skill, technique and style if you want to grow. Sometimes that's how we get stuck at a plateau. Why not apply that to the forum?

I've been on forums that have updated their sections, look or content and it didn't break the spell or mess things up. Soemtimes you have to adjust the spices in the recipie to get improve the flavor.

Change, change, change it's a daily thing. (I'm betting you nays are the guys who get upset when the furniture gets moved around too.) ;-)

User Info Menu

It is up to the Mods to decide if there are too many sections or not. I have gotten use to it so why change it now it will only confuse the heck out of us LOL

User Info Menu

some type of skin or colour change would be nice ..but don't move around the content

User Info Menu

A while back, the whole site had a new look. It didn't go over real well, so the site was returned to the old look. Some will want the changes, while others like things just as they are. I'm glad I don't make those decisions!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    some type of skin or colour change would be nice ..but don't move around the content
    +1 I have been saying this all along. I think the gray and green is not a good look. Light text on a dark background would be better IMO.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    A while back, the whole site had a new look. It didn't go over real well, so the site was returned to the old look. Some will want the changes, while others like things just as they are. I'm glad I don't make those decisions!
    Actually, some of it did stick. The index page is brand new and they improved the logo. They also recently moved some of the categories around and got rid of some of the stickies. They're constantly making improvements and that's one of the things I like about this forum. All that said, as usual, it's hard to please everyone. Some like it the way it is, some want more changes. I'd hate to be in their shoes.

User Info Menu

What mysterious clan then runs this forum? the Drumming links companys?

User Info Menu

Drum Bum owns the site.

User Info Menu

The seperate sections are seemingly pointless, but they help you find specific answers based on select categories. It helps narrow down the process and receive the best advice possible if used properly. Some forums are actually kinda strict about what threads they allow in certain sections, and are quick to close or move them if the subject matter doesn't fit. It's nice to see a little more flexibility here. PB has a really great point though that I want to expand on a bit - just like in a business meeting if you present an idea to a test group and they don't respond well to it, it's a good move to change it back. Tried and true never gave me the blues.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments