Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalina Birch?

User Info Menu

Default Catalina Birch?

Why is it being fased out? As I am hearing! It doesnt make sense to me since it is a great sounding kit for a very afordable price and keeps the Gretsch choice open for personal taste...hmmmm. What you think guys and girls?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I was surprised to hear the news. I know they are coming out with the Catalina in ash, and I would have thought that it would give multiple options for potential buyers. My guess is that market reasearch showed that maple was selling better than birch, at the moment, and that there was a market for ash. Maybe, in order to produce the ash sets, they had to dedicate a factory to the ash, and if they only had 2 factories producing drums in Asia, they had to decide whether to drop the birch, or the maple.

How's that for a load of speculation?!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i dont get it either. the birch kit sounds fantastic. the ash kit....not so much.

User Info Menu

All I know is that birch was the first wood Gretsch used to construct the Catalina. Maybe they're just updating? idk
    At least I can be a proud owner
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I agree funky, it is a great sounding kit and luckily I am a proud owner too 32ndHB. Your idea of the two factories PB sounds logical but to cut it out completely?? Im sure it will be back one day when the Ash does not do too well.

User Info Menu

LW80, I tend to agree. I know fusion sets are all the rage right now, and the shorter shells don't project as much as the "standard" set ups, but I persoanlly think the ash is a mistake. My understanding is that ash projects less than birch, or maple, so I just don't get the move. Maybe it's a gimic just to be different; trying to carve out a new niche. I'm afraid it might backfire, and Gretsch might lose some reputation. I guess we'll see.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I have the Birch set and love the sound also, I didn't get it. I got a good deal on the Birch set because it was being phased out so I guess I can't complain. I wonder if it has anything to do with the availability of the Birch verses Ash, and they couldn't get Birch as readily or as cheaply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    LW80, I tend to agree. I know fusion sets are all the rage right now, and the shorter shells don't project as much as the "standard" set ups, but I persoanlly think the ash is a mistake. My understanding is that ash projects less than birch, or maple, so I just don't get the move. Maybe it's a gimic just to be different; trying to carve out a new niche. I'm afraid it might backfire, and Gretsch might lose some reputation. I guess we'll see.
    oh, the ash projects plenty. the difference is that the tone is high pitched and harsh sounding. the birch projects but has a much more rounded tone.

User Info Menu

well a thought just came to me...if Gretsch is phasing out the Birch and never to be seen again ( which I do doubt ) what would that do to the value in $$$ of our birch kits?? This might make the Catalina Birch kit a rare breed and may boost the price tag or it may work the other way. Collectors item possibly worth alot of money??

User Info Menu

Oh, rats! And I bought the maple!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    well a thought just came to me...if Gretsch is phasing out the Birch and never to be seen again ( which I do doubt ) what would that do to the value in $$$ of our birch kits?? This might make the Catalina Birch kit a rare breed and may boost the price tag or it may work the other way. Collectors item possibly worth alot of money??
    doubt it. simply because it was a midrange kit and really no midrange kit will hold much resale value.

User Info Menu

Phil Collins would buy it lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hm but for what i play. I dont want long resonance and everything is miked. I actually own a drum mic set.... Well my tommy does anyway.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

... ohh and soon we will have a pa to handle it too.. So volume isnt a problem. ever.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't think that one is better, it depends from what you like your drum kit sounds! I have heard maple sets that i love and also birch sets that i love too, i don't like just one sound!

User Info Menu

Prolly a dumb question. But what is ash? I thought it was a store but now it seems like a type of wood?

I only know mahog, maple and birch.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

dont forget poplar (sp?) basswood, African mahog, and steel....copper ...brass...lots of diffrent crap has been used to make drums...lol

But ive only played one catalina kit ( birch) and i was in love wanted one but im still broke plus/ because of getting new kit.... oh well to the pawn shop!!
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I'm selling everything for $850 if anyone's interested
    The deal will include my 5 piece birch catalina, 1 Pacific cymbal stand, 1 Pacific boom stand w/tom mount, Paiste PST-3 14" hi-hats and 18" crash/ride, and a Wuhan 10" china/splash. I could also throw in a tribell cowbell set from LP for no extra cost with the entire set. PM message if you're interested

User Info Menu

sounds like a really good deal 32nHB, can I ask why you are selling? did you buy another kit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    Prolly a dumb question. But what is ash? I thought it was a store but now it seems like a type of wood?

I only know mahog, maple and birch.
    Hi -- I am new here -- I hope you do not mind my adding a thought -- Ash is a medium density wood --- if you are a baseball fan you see a lot of ash -- The Louisville Slugger is made of it -- additionally -- and because of the availability -- a lot of drum sticks are also ash -- unfortunately they also break a lot more quickly -- and they rarely true because of the long grain in the wood.

Birch and Maple -- historically speaking -- are great woods for drums because of the greater density -- Ebony and Rosewood are on the very dense side of the equation being extremely hard woods -- these very hard woods often end up in hand drums -- because they resonate so well.

But to the point -- the other problem that a lot of wood workers are running into is availability -- a lot of these woods are really expensive and the cost of the finished drumset is incredibly high as a result.

Me? I have a Sonor Designer kit using Scandinavian Birch with Maple light outer shells -- this kit has an 18" kick that sounds like a 22 -- no question it is like a bomb when I really smack it -- this is my jazz kit. I also have a set of Maple Noble Cooley's with a 22" BOOMER for my bass drum -- for rock, fusion and blues -- this drum rules -- and my snare for both is a Tama Starclassic G maple -- which may be the best snare drum I have ever owned.

Anyway -- thanks for your time --

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat, MD! Thanks for the input. Sounds like you'll got a pretty cool kit. If you get a chance, post a picture of it under the drumset thread. Then go to the "Newbie Initiation" thread and have some fun!

By the way, everybody, I read an article in this month's Modern Drummer about the Catalina Ash kit. If you really have an interest in the kit, I would suggest reading the article.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    sounds like a really good deal 32nHB, can I ask why you are selling? did you buy another kit?
    Yea see, I'm ordering the PDP X7 this month, so when it arrives I wanna have some good money to jack it up with a bunch of 2002's.

User Info Menu

Hi MD and thanks! :>

I know paper machete is a way of making drum kits too. I was gonna try it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Mo welcome, and thanks for the input. I was wondering if wood availability and price had anything to do with the decision also. That is the only reason I could think of for discontinuing a set that appears to be be pretty popular.

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the welcome guys -- to Pastor Bob's point -- I went over to the initiation page -- can I just where a funny hat for a couple of days and we can call it even? ;-)

To Steveo's point -- Paper Mache' -- why not? -- with Fiberglass Resin to hold it together -- years and years ago I was on a road trip with a bunch of guys (nobody famous we were on what we called the Holiday Inn tour) -- I had a chance to use a Fibes kit -- all fiber (or fibre depending on your country of origin) glass -- the kit was great until we hit the Midwest in February here in the States -- they were so sensitive to the temperature change -- the bass drum cracked in half -- what a pain -- and thank God we found a drum dealer that could supply us with a Ludwig Rocker (now THAT was a nice roadworthy kit for the day) -- but back to Steveo's point -- with the compressed paper as fill -- even if the resin cracked -- there would be something to hold it together -- and it could very easily be repaired -- what kind of weight do you think your invention would have? This could be interesting. Road worthiness is always a BIG question mark for me.

And of course to ChurchDrummers point -- it really is a bit of a concern -- a lot of the woods we get -- have been getting -- are the result of logging in the rain forests as the industrialists create more growing land to support the population -- the problem is that these trees are not replaced -- and for the hardwoods here -- these trees take an exceptionally long time to grow -- the tight grains are years in development -- and again the industrialists are more concerned with turn around and shortened crop times -- resulting in softer, faster growing woods like Pine and Ash --not trying to become an alarmist or anything like that -- but that is the reality --

And it is not that I am an expert by any stretch -- just a few years of experience is all.

Thanks ....