Thread: Wrist pains

User Info Menu

Default Wrist pains

So these past few days, around 2. As I start playing songs, in the middle of my session I feel something stinging in my wrists. Should I be worried? Or how can I stop this from happening again?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist pains

Without an exam, it's hard to say for sure what the problem is, but the most likely guess is that you may have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. Is the stinging on the palm side of the wrist?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes you should be worried. See a doctor. An internet forum is no place to get a medical diagnosis. Now once you find out whats wrong from a professional we can certainly give you tips and hints on how to modify your playing/equipment to help you resolve the issue.

BTW What sticks do you use?

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 5A, and its in the center of my wrist. Though the pain does stop after awhile

User Info Menu

Never think "Oh it only hurts for a certain amount of time then goes away", worry about it now. Sure it may only be a minor inconvenience right now, but even slight tension over a long period of time can amount to a major problem.

User Info Menu

yes,, dont seek medical advice from drummers, and dont seek drumming advice from a doctor.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Yes, you should be addressing this issue. See a doctor. Your body is trying to tell you something and ignoring it or not addressing it now is not a good idea.

This is a great forum, the best drumming forum around but not the place (nor is any forum) to get a diagnosis on something.

The best advice you can and will get is to see a doctor and let him/her give you the proper diagnosis and treatment options.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yes you should be worried. See a doctor. An internet forum is no place to get a medical diagnosis. Now once you find out whats wrong from a professional we can certainly give you tips and hints on how to modify your playing/equipment to help you resolve the issue.

BTW What sticks do you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    yes,, dont seek medical advice from drummers, and dont seek drumming advice from a doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Yes, you should be addressing this issue. See a doctor. Your body is trying to tell you something and ignoring it or not addressing it now is not a good idea.

This is a great forum, the best drumming forum around but not the place (nor is any forum) to get a diagnosis on something.

The best advice you can and will get is to see a doctor and let him/her give you the proper diagnosis and treatment options.

I totally agree with the other posters. You don't mess around, go to a doctor before you do possibly serious damage to your hand.

User Info Menu

I agree, see a doc, if you can afford to and if the pain persists while doing other non-drumming things, eventually. Personally I don't rush to the doc for every little pain...
    But before you do, if you are truly a newbie you could be holding your sticks way to tight. Check and match the grip in the other, non-painful hand. Make sure you are sitting straight and not tensing your shoulders. And if you've warmed up by doing a LOT of repetitive, fast rudiments, don't do that warm up any more!(repetitive flamming on a pad pinches nerves in my shoulders)
    Are you hitting more cymbals-hitting more metal lately? Loosen/adjust your grip if you are. Hitting metal sends sharp, hard vibrations thru the fingers and into wrist and arm nerves.
    Lastly, when the pain appears, for relief run really cold water over the area and over the palm of that hand and up your forearm and see if the pain fades.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I get them too, in my left wrist, right underneath that ball. I guess it's the joint. I don't know. I only happens on occasion, but when it does, it's a really sharp, concentrated pain. Almost a hot feeling to it as well, I've thought about going to the doctor to get it checked out, but it doesn't happen often enough to keep me really worried. I'd change my technique, but there's a couple problems with that. I don't want to because my current technique works fine, and I wouldn't know if any new technique would actually help. Who knows, if it's bad enough, I'll check it out. For now, I think I'll just man up and play through it.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I get them too, in my left wrist, right underneath that ball. I guess it's the joint. I don't know. I only happens on occasion, but when it does, it's a really sharp, concentrated pain. Almost a hot feeling to it as well, I've thought about going to the doctor to get it checked out, but it doesn't happen often enough to keep me really worried. I'd change my technique, but there's a couple problems with that. I don't want to because my current technique works fine, and I wouldn't know if any new technique would actually help. Who knows, if it's bad enough, I'll check it out. For now, I think I'll just man up and play through it.

A sharp pain means there is something wrong. Go get it checked out.

User Info Menu

Even if it usually only lasts a minute and comes around rarely, maybe every week or so? I don't have insurance until probably late January.

User Info Menu

Even if it usually only lasts a minute and comes around rarely, maybe every week or so? I don't have insurance until probably late January.
    YES! Even if it only comes and goes and only lasts a minute!!

As soon as you get your insurance you should get it checked out. I had the same symptoms many years ago and let it go. I had the same attitude you did. I said to myself, "it's not that bad, doesn't happen often and doesn't last long". I figured it was years of playing drums and being a contractor and using tools for hours and hours that may be "catching up with me and I thought it was just normal; boy was I wrong. The pain eventually started progressively getting more intense and coming more frequently. The tingling and burning and numbness as well as uncontrollable twitching (on and off) in my thumbs and first two fingers was lasting longer and getting more intense. After many tests and doctor visits it was determined that I have carpal tunnel (moderate) and some nerve damage. Fortunately the nerve damage and carpal tunnel have not progressed but they haven't gotten too much better either, largely in part because I no longer own my contracting business and do that kind of work and also because I don't play as often (had to take a break from getting burned out a little bit)...but I still play/practice just not as long or intense.

Bottom line, your body is telling you something so listen to it...get it checked out as soon as you can. Don't take the chance like I did. Manning up is not the way to go. You prove nothing and only hurt yourself.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 10-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Noted, I'll get it checked out when I can. What did they do for you after you got it looked at?

User Info Menu

Noted, I'll get it checked out when I can. What did they do for you after you got it looked at?
    Should the nerve damage and carpal tunnel have progressed there would have been surgery to correct the carpal tunnel but not much could have been done to reverse the nerve damage and the surgery is not guaranteed to work 100% or last. First, I had to stop playing for about 6 weeks (it was tough) then some physical therapy and being very aware of how much and how hard I used my hands and wrists and wearing a stiff splint when I was not using my hands (at night, relaxing, sleeping) and using a flexible splint for support when I did. When I was able to start playing I had to be very aware of my technique and how long and hard I played. I dod make some small changes in my technique and set-up, nothing drastic but enough to really help (it's amazing what small and simple changes can do). That was 6 years ago and the symptoms of the carpal tunnel have not progressed and slowly keep getting better. The nerve damage has also slowly been getting better. Neither will go away fully.

That is what worked for ME. Professional medical diagnosis and treatment is where it started.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro