Lightbulb Can u read

i was just wondering who here can read music and if not why not
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Yea, I can read it. I started learning it when I was 10 (26 years ago).
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin
    i was just wondering who here can read music and if not why not
    reading music isn`t nescessary for any instrument ...all it does it aid you to learn faster .If you have a good ear and know how to play your instrument properly then sheet music is just there to wipe your sweat on !!

by the way ,....yeah i can read it but never bother anymore (not saying i`m too good for sheet music .just saying i`m experienced enough not to need it .)
    dave

User Info Menu

wow ****y much im just saying i just started out and it does help the songs you play must not be complicated at all get over yourself oh and reading music pushes u over the edge people pay attention to stuff like that
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

chill winston !! ....lol.....i didn`t say it was a good or bad thing ,of course it`s a good thing to learn to read music .the point i was trying to make was it isn`t nescessary (john bonham,pete best ,etc couldn`t read a note for instance !) .I wouldn`t say the stuff i play is neither hard nor easy .i`ve been playing getting on 27 years so i have a vast amount of experience (no i`m not saying i`m the best drummer in the world .I`m just saying i have experience wich i believe is more important than the ability to read dots .) .Natural rytham ,a good ear ,and the ability to listen and adapt are much MUCH more impoortant than reading .

User Info Menu

clam down weinstien just a tip dont take what i say seriously im just 13 by the way not everyone is John Bonham (love him by the way and Jason Bonham too but not foriener) i cant spell
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

clam down weinstien just a tip dont take what i say seriously im just 13 by the way not everyone is John Bonham (love him by the way and Jason Bonham too but not foriener) i cant spell

the supergroup prog we get here (in the uk) on vh1 is awesome (jason bonham) ....was sooooo funny the other night when sabastian bach got whacked by ....ummm.....grrr....whats his name ....ummm ....the bass player ....lol

User Info Menu

evan seinfeld i think i love that show
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

yeah thats him .....i love it too ...can`t wait till sunday till it`s on again !

User Info Menu

r the episodes like new there cuz they`ve stopped playing them here
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    reading music isn`t nescessary for any instrument ...all it does it aid you to learn faster .If you have a good ear and know how to play your instrument properly then sheet music is just there to wipe your sweat on !!

by the way ,....yeah i can read it but never bother anymore (not saying i`m too good for sheet music .just saying i`m experienced enough not to need it .)
    dave
    Reading music is absolutely a neccessity as musician. If you can't read music, you are holding yourself back. There are a lot of jobs that you won't get because you can't play the music the job requires.
    Last edited by Boo; 08-12-2006 at 01:10 AM.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

r the episodes like new there cuz they`ve stopped playing them here

naa i`d imagine it`s way behind here .

Boo : i dissagree strongly ....ANY drummers out there that can`t read music ....don`t worry about it if you are a good drummer and fit into the band youll get the job .Unless yoyu are joining and orcherstra or play that horrid jazz stuff but then who the hell wants to do that anyway..lol.

dave

User Info Menu

Boo : i dissagree strongly ....ANY drummers out there that can`t read music ....don`t worry about it if you are a good drummer and fit into the band youll get the job .Unless yoyu are joining and orcherstra or play that horrid jazz stuff but then who the hell wants to do that anyway..lol.

dave
    ??? horrid jazz stuff ???

User Info Menu

uuugghhhh ,,,,,jazz is just 3 or 4 musicians all playing a diferent song at the same time .I hate it with a passion .not as much as i haterance /drum and bass/techno/rave ...but close .hey each to they`re own !

dave

User Info Menu

sometimes it can sound like that but i hafta say the buddy rich big bands sounded awesome.

User Info Menu

OH YEAH!!!!!!

I don't play that kinda music, but I love to listen to it!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

haha i can't play it either but i've got the buddy rich tribute cd and its excellent

User Info Menu

don't diss an art form just because u don't understand it....same goes for rap....i wish everyone would quit dissing rap...i don't like it personally but i can appreciate it for a form of art that i sure as h** can't do...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    don't diss an art form just because u don't understand it....same goes for rap....i wish everyone would quit dissing rap...i don't like it personally but i can appreciate it for a form of art that i sure as h** can't do...

Thats exactly wat i think, just because u don't know or like a genre of music in detail, don't start dissing it!

User Info Menu

uuugghhhh ,,,,,jazz is just 3 or 4 musicians all playing a diferent song at the same time.
    That's actually not true. It may sound like that to the untrained ear so I can see how one might come to that conclusion. But jazz is actually a very sophisticated art form, often on another intellectual level. They have the melody in their heads and play "around" it. But they always know where they are and they are always in sync.

First off, to say you don't like jazz is like saying you don't like girls. Perhaps a girl once broke up with you. Let's say her name was Cindy. Cindy treated you wrong so you've decided that all girls are bad. See how foolish this is? Cindy is simply one girl among many millions of girls.

Likewise, jazz, rock, rap, or country, etc. are "umbrella" terms. They house "all" of the subdivisions and songs underneath it. You might be surprised just how much jazz you would like if you were to explore what's out there.

Subcategories of jazz are:
    1. Traditional Jazz
    2. Modern Jazz
    3. Jazz Fusion
    4. New Orleans Jazz
    5. Chicago Style Jazz
    6. Big Band Jazz
    7. Bebop
    8. Free Form Jazz
    9. Jump Jive
    10. Smooth Jazz
    11. Acid Jazz

...and so on. Within those categories there are thousands, if not millions, of songs. I've had the pleasure of playing at least 90% of these jazz styles at one time or another in my career. I feel very lucky to have experienced playing with some of the best musicians in the world. More than anything, I'm glad I had the sense to recognize, when I was young, what jazz had to offer a musician. It matured my playing and rounded me out to the point where I could eventually play just about any gig that came my way.

Young musicians...keep an open mind! There is a big musical world out there to explore. Don't box yourself in. You'll be doing yourself a grave injustice.

By the way, I had friends through the years that stuck with only one style. When that style dried up, they were out of work! I would simply move to another style and another band; whatever happened to be popular at the time. I was always working, always making a living playing music, always playing all (or most) styles, and always ecstatic that I carved out a living doing what I love the most!

User Info Menu

it`s just like anything else u can`t say u dont like it untill u know all aspects of it and i`ve like jazz since i was 6 it`s even more profound than most other music because it gives feeling and emotion without lyrics anyone ever heard of John Coltrane(how did this turn into a disscussion about jazz)
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

yes...i love john coltrane...most people hate his music...but it makes alot of sense to me....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    That's actually not true. It may sound like that to the untrained ear so I can see how one might come to that conclusion. But jazz is actually a very sophisticated art form, often on another intellectual level. They have the melody in their heads and play "around" it. But they always know where they are and they are always in sync.

First off, to say you don't like jazz is like saying you don't like girls. Perhaps a girl once broke up with you. Let's say her name was Cindy. Cindy treated you wrong so you've decided that all girls are bad. See how foolish this is? Cindy is simply one girl among many millions of girls.

Likewise, jazz, rock, rap, or country, etc. are "umbrella" terms. They house "all" of the subdivisions and songs underneath it. You might be surprised just how much jazz you would like if you were to explore what's out there.

Subcategories of jazz are:
    1. Traditional Jazz
    2. Modern Jazz
    3. Jazz Fusion
    4. New Orleans Jazz
    5. Chicago Style Jazz
    6. Big Band Jazz
    7. Bebop
    8. Free Form Jazz
    9. Jump Jive
    10. Smooth Jazz
    11. Acid Jazz

...and so on. Within those categories there are thousands, if not millions, of songs. I've had the pleasure of playing at least 90% of these jazz styles at one time or another in my career. I feel very lucky to have experienced playing with some of the best musicians in the world. More than anything, I'm glad I had the sense to recognize, when I was young, what jazz had to offer a musician. It matured my playing and rounded me out to the point where I could eventually play just about any gig that came my way.

Young musicians...keep an open mind! There is a big musical world out there to explore. Don't box yourself in. You'll be doing yourself a grave injustice.

By the way, I had friends through the years that stuck with only one style. When that style dried up, they were out of work! I would simply move to another style and another band; whatever happened to be popular at the time. I was always working, always making a living playing music, always playing all (or most) styles, and always ecstatic that I carved out a living doing what I love the most!
    There's ...
    1. Shrimp cabobs
    2. Shrimp gumbo
    3. Shrimp stew
    4. Shrimp stir fry
    5. Shrimp & potatoes
    6. Shrimp burgers
    7. Shrimp sandwitch
    Well...that's about it...

-Forrest Gump
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

dave
    If you can't read music, you are NOT the best drummer you can be. You will always be at the amature level...All professional musicians read music. Don't kid yourself into thinking you can make a living playing an instument when you can't even read music...that's a joke. My 6 year old daughter reads drum charts evey day. It's not that difficult. Learn to read music, or just continue to "pretend" to be a musician.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Cool reading music

invest the time it'll pay back later and keep your mind open to othere typse
    of music if you don't you limit yourself you don't have to like every thing you hear but try it you might like it.keep rocking and learn you'll never regret it.