Thread: Easy but fun songs to learn?

User Info Menu

Default Easy but fun songs to learn?

I've only been playing since February of this year, and within that time I've learned Metallica's Sad But True, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters,and Foo Fighter's The Pretender (My own version of it, at least.) I've been wanting to drum since I was around ten, and to be honest with you, I hardly even play anymore. I've ran out of songs to play, exercises to do, etc. Not in a million years did it ever cross my mind that I would get bored with my drums, but I have, and it sucks. I need songs that are easy (Since I'm teaching myself. No money for lessons.) but still fun and interesting. I'm more into rock/metal, so I'd prefer a song from those genres. No AC/DC, please.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Easy but fun songs to learn?

Atwa, by System of a down?
    Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Not rock/metal but a decent starting point.

BTW. You can just about learn as much on the internet as you could with a teacher these days. Google lessons and exercises.

User Info Menu

Cant stop by the red hot chili peppers. Probably not in your musical taste, but really fun and easy. By the way, finding easy metal songs is probably really difficult W/out a dubble bass ( not sure if you have one.) You might want to look into punk music by the way.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Mostly, I know old rock. So, Doobie's Long Train Running and Listen to the Music are good ones. What you should do is print out the lyrics for the arrangement you are doing then annotate the lyrics with your grooves and fills. That way, you play the songs consistently.

User Info Menu

Judas Priest: Youve Got Another Thing Coming
    Iron Maiden: Running Free

User Info Menu

Any BOC considered kinda early Metal?

User Info Menu

Welcome MetalRain. Well, to start off, I don't think you should restrict yourself to just the metal genre of music. You need to expand your horizons and experience other venues in order to be able to adapt to different forms of music in order to become a versatile drummer. There are a lot of fun songs to play other than rock. Alternative: I Ran-A Flock of Seagulls is an easy tune but fun to play. Iggy Pop: No Fun. Joan Jett" lots of her tunes are easy. Progressive Rock: Pink Floyd is a great band to learn on. Easy but cool. Maybe this is part of your "boredom" problem, because there aren't a whole lot of current metal bands out there right now that are super easy to play. Unless you do what NR said, and get into past metal rock. Plus it requires a lot of hard double bass work. Maybe Seether: Driven Under and Fade Away might fill the bill for some easy rock tunes. 3 Days Grace: Animal I've Become, Gone Forever. When the Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin is easy enough. As far as exercises go. There are 40 rudiments to practice and get down. Not a lot of fun all the time and can be very boring as well. But sorely needed in order to advance your skills. You need to just let it come to you in steps and realize that some things are "boring" in nature. And it's not going to come easy. It takes a lot of practice and dedication with tons of frustration in between. You can find all the rudiments here on this site as well as practice exercises. Everything we say is constructive criticism and not meant as slamming someone. Good luck on your drumming odyssey.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I would suggest some Audioslave, songs like "I am the highway","like a stone" or "getaway car". Very easy songs I think
    I wouldn't suggest learning one type of genre, ive found that playing other genres of music can also help build new ideas and open up new doors for you in your drumming. You might even enjoy playing other tunes that you didn't think you would ever play.
    I've always loved metal and rock music but thought that I was always limited to what I could play. Mostly because the double bass in the song was too fast for me. So I played other things like reggae, ska, punk, surf type, rap music and now I enjoy playing almost anything I can. But I still enjoy playing the metal songs I find hard, just takes a little practice. Plus I think learning other genres makes you more versatile in any playing situation. My buddy used to think I was a metal drummer strictly but found out I'm more like a reggae metal punk drummer

User Info Menu

You should try some Dokken. Songs like Kiss of Death are fun to play and not too difficult.

There's tons of old 80's and 90's hard rock/metal that falls in similar categories (Europe, Ratt, Great White, etc...). The drums are solid but not the star of the song. It was all about the guitar back then. Makes for some fun playing still.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    You should try some Dokken. Songs like Kiss of Death are fun to play and not too difficult.

There's tons of old 80's and 90's hard rock/metal that falls in similar categories (Europe, Ratt, Great White, etc...). The drums are solid but not the star of the song. It was all about the guitar back then. Makes for some fun playing still.
    Right on. I love the 80's hard rock/metal era. Behind the glam and make-up there was some fantastic talent and music.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Right on. I love the 80's hard rock/metal era. Behind the glam and make-up there was some fantastic talent and music.
    Totally! Wouldn't knock that fact in a million years.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've always found it quite enjoyable playing Beatles music. I don't know why, the songs are just fun to play. They are catchy, very easy to learn, and easy to improvise on. Since you're more in to the rock-metal side stuff, try Helter Skelter. Its a very easy hard-rock song, and its really fun to just bash away at your kit and put your own fills in there. Just my 2 cents.

Also try songs from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Mitch Mitchell is a beast. I think you can tell I'm still living in the sixties right now xD.
    "Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk"

User Info Menu

i may get panned for this but try MJ's "Dont Stop Till You Get Enough"
    mixing in the cowbell deserves credit playing out.

User Info Menu

I started out playing a lot of Queensryche. A few that come to mind are The Killing Words,Take Hold of the Flame,Damaged,Saved (this one is a lot of fun to play) A bunch of songs off the Empire cd
    Some Aerosmith isn't to hard.I like playing my version of Dream on.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

find a guitarist, learning to count like they do will be quite a challenge
    or set your sights a little higher, old system of a down or metallica from BEFORE the black album, or most stuff from the 70's has a lot of technical drumming.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

The Who's Can't Explain is good. Aerosmith Back in the Saddle, Rolling Stones stuff.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Cream's "Disreali Gears" album....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Anything with a basic shuffle rock beat is fun
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Whenever a new drummer asks me the same question, I give one answer...

Anything by AC/DC.

Straight up the easiest stuff to play, but it's not wimpy drumming by any means.
    It teaches you to hit hard with authority, but at a tempo that's easy to keep under control.
    Start easy and then work up to the harder stuff when you're ready.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post

Before scrolling down, the first thing that came to mind was Lynch Mob - All I Want or Dance Of The Dogs.
    Lots of cool old basic metal to practice on.
    Triumph- When The Lights Go Down
    Shooting Star - Break out
    Prong - Snap Your Fingers Snap Your Neck
    Thin Lizzy - Cold Sweat

and on and on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Whenever a new drummer asks me the same question, I give one answer...

Anything by AC/DC.

Straight up the easiest stuff to play, but it's not wimpy drumming by any means.
    It teaches you to hit hard with authority, but at a tempo that's easy to keep under control.
    Start easy and then work up to the harder stuff when you're ready.
    For sure...this!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

some Greenday stuff is pretty straight forward.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums