Thread: Help with my setup?

User Info Menu

Default Help with my setup?

Hey guys, I got a few pictures of my kit, and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you see anything I've done wrong, or something I could fix? They're the best pictures I could get, so I hope they'll do. Thanks :D

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with my setup?

Well, right off hand I would suggest bringing your ride toms a little closer together. My ride toms are offset to the letf slightly, so that I can move my Ride cymbal a little closer (I have a rack for this kit that lets me move things easily. Here's a picture for reference.

Also, I notice that your double bass pedal beaters are not quite even, and the right one is twisted a little, so it won't stike flush on the felt part of the beater. You'll need to make a few adjustments to even things up. If you're not sure how to make those adjustments, just ask, and we'll walk you through it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

^This.

User Info Menu

Toms are WAY too far apart for my liking...but that's me. I hate the Pearl style tom mounts for that reason. I'd bring them closer together and flatten them a bit. Looks like your main beater is off kilter too.

User Info Menu

To echo what others have said, first adjust your toms so they are closer together and reduce the angle they are at. You want a little bit of an angle, don't want them flat. You may also want to bring your snare a little closer to the bass drum (move the snare forward a little).
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

If your dead set on using the double kick. I would check to see if your hi hat stand's legs swivel. if not, maybe invest in a 2 legged hi hat stand in the future.

User Info Menu

This is the way my kit is set up. By the way there is nothing wrong with the Pearl style mounting system cause if you look in my pic you will see I use them on my MCX

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 10-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I would also add that if you want to use your floor tom a bit for patterns, that it's a little far in for my liking.

Here are some examples of various kit set-ups, using various drum makes. All show what I find is the ideal placement that ergonomically works for me....you yourself will need to experiment a bit.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

You weren't that far off MR. With a few tweeks here and there, it looks as though you got yourself a pretty comfy layout. Just remember, there no right or wrong way of setting up your kit. It's a personal thing and most drummer do follow a few common set-up guidelines.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely try to move my toms closer together, because I have been having trouble with them and I've never even thought about it!

As for the right bass pedal, I'm not sure why, but it ALWAYS does that. I tighten it down to the bass, I screw the pegs into the carpet, but it constantly moves on me. I have to readjust it almost every other day because of it. I've tried tightening more, tightening less, but nothing seems to work.

ALSO; I've been having a TERRIBLE vibrating from my snare. The thing is, one of the snare coils is slightly bent (Came that way when I bought it), and I don't know if that's the main cause, or what, but it's a horrid noise. If you hit the bass, it vibrates. Hit the snare itself, vibrates worse. It's driving me crazy! And also, could you give me any snare tuning advice? I honestly cannot find the right tuning to make it sound good. I replaced the tom head with an Evan's, but the bottom head is still the original it came with. I'm not sure how to tune it yet.. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Not a bad looking set at all. To hear you in other threads, I thought it was to look like something that fell off a garbage truck. I could work with a set like that.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalRain View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'll definitely try to move my toms closer together, because I have been having trouble with them and I've never even thought about it!

As for the right bass pedal, I'm not sure why, but it ALWAYS does that. I tighten it down to the bass, I screw the pegs into the carpet, but it constantly moves on me. I have to readjust it almost every other day because of it. I've tried tightening more, tightening less, but nothing seems to work.

ALSO; I've been having a TERRIBLE vibrating from my snare. The thing is, one of the snare coils is slightly bent (Came that way when I bought it), and I don't know if that's the main cause, or what, but it's a horrid noise. If you hit the bass, it vibrates. Hit the snare itself, vibrates worse. It's driving me crazy! And also, could you give me any snare tuning advice? I honestly cannot find the right tuning to make it sound good. I replaced the tom head with an Evan's, but the bottom head is still the original it came with. I'm not sure how to tune it yet.. Thanks.

You can buy snare strands separately, so you could repair that annoying buzz you hear. Mind you, you'll always hear snare buzz when you hit stuff. That's just the way it is.

I'd also recommend changing your tom heads. They look pretty much dead. Getting some fresh heads after readjusting your angles so you don't dent them will help you get a much better sound. I just bought some new Evans EC2 and they sound terrific. Might be something you'd like as well.

Good advice in this video on how to tune your heads once you change them.

Last edited by Digital; 10-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

When I used big old toms on top of my kick this was my set up:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    When I used big old toms on top of my kick this was my set up:

Man, I think my nose is level with the rim of your first rack tom dude, if I were to sit on that set! Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Man, I think my nose is level with the rim of your first rack tom dude, if I were to sit on that set! Lol
    I sat really low too. Now I'm opposite. Sit super hight and everything is low.

User Info Menu

I have the same double pedals but the main pedal doesn't move as much as the slave: get "industrial strength" velcro for the slave's base plate. If you have the main pedal mounted crooked, that is not at the very bottom center of the hoop, the pedal will swivel when you stomp on it. It only has one attachment/clamp spot on the hoop.

And snares buzz from the vibration of the other nearby drums and it's not noticeable while you're playing. To save money, cut the one offensive snare wire with wire cutters as close to the metal or plastic plate all the wires are attached to.

In general I'd tighten the res on the snare a lot-higher pitched than the batter. Maybe so tight that when you push on the center with your thumb there's little give. I wouldn't tighten to the point it's like hitting concrete. The batter head maybe not as tight. This is all dependent on the sound you want, so adjust accordingly.

There are no hard and fast tensions for the heads, numbers of turns for the rods, etc. and no "standard" sounds for drums.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I sat really low too. Now I'm opposite. Sit super hight and everything is low.
    Check out how low Richie Hayward from Little Feat used to sit. And that groove!

User Info Menu

Richie Hayward, nice!!!

in response to your snare buzz, slinglander is right about clipping the offensive strand, and additionally you could put a business card between the snares and the resonant head a couple of inches in from the rim. try two, one on either side if need be, experiment with placement try cards or paper of various thickness till you reduce the buzz to your liking.

sometimes it will fall out but its not really a prob for me cause i play sorta light. if its an issue, wrap the paper around the snares and tape in the middle.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

If you cut a snare wire, they must be cut in pairs (keep the strand in an even count) or you'll be faced with more buzz than you started with. Example: 20 strand wire with one broken, cut it down to an 18 count snare strand.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry about the pair cutting thing:I've done this with no problems. Wisdom has it that the pairs cut should be matched from each side, besides, keeping the strands balanced. Under the usual tension I can't understand that either.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

i agree with all advice
    i use Pearl tom mounts and you could barely slide a piece of paper between their location on my main kit.
    its all about proximity in correlation to how you sit.
    bad setup goes away over time.
    think: during a simple roll, inches means time and as a drummer you ARE the timekeeper
    alot of drummers on this forum can shred that inexpensive kit.
    drum key!!!!!!
    Last edited by kyle102565; 10-24-2012 at 01:11 AM.

User Info Menu

When tuning your snare - toms or kick drum...tap the head 1 inch from each tuning lug...and get the same pitch or tone on all the lugs. As was mentioned, you might tighten the reso snare head tight - just get the same tone on all the lugs...then flip it over and use less tenion on the batter head - but also get the same tone at each tuning lug. On toms, I prefer the reso head looser than the batter head. No matter what tension you use on batter or reso...tapping 1 inch from each lug on batter head all sound the same...do the same thing on the reso head. You can have more tension on one head or the other or the same tension on both heads. Snare buzz is reduced when the snare is tuned properly...If you can afford it, buy a new set of snare wires...Puresound wires are an excellent choice ...and they have several types.
    Good luck on getting things set up and let us know how it all comes out.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Pastor bob, do you mind replying to me through email? I have multiple questions, cool name! Nice setup! thx Michael

mroberts123@myfairpoint.net