Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nirvana

5 25.00%
  • Pearl Jam

4 20.00%
  • Soundgarden

3 15.00%
  • Foo Fighters (post Nirvana grunge anyway)

3 15.00%
  • Faith No More

1 5.00%
  • Other

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Grunge Band

User Info Menu

Default Better Grunge Band

Ok, so I am just curious about those who like (or those who don't) or did like grunge, whihc is the band that you think was better, your preference, best for the genre etc... If you choose "Other" please specify who and why, otherwise, if you select one of the included options, just say why they are your choice. Also, feel free to make critisisms as well (like anyone on here needs permission anyway) of the bands you think should NEVER have gotten a record deal etc...
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

soundgarden.....
    chris cornell is posibly the greatest singer of all time.

User Info Menu

I had a hard time between Nirvana and FNM. But FNM is one of my all time favorites and has alot of grunge characteristics. I love Nirvana, but I don't believe that they're THE grunge band of all time. This genre isn't about depression or doing drugs, it's about the nitty gritty lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I had a hard time between Nirvana and FNM. But FNM is one of my all time favorites and has alot of grunge characteristics. I love Nirvana, but I don't believe that they're THE grunge band of all time. This genre isn't about depression or doing drugs, it's about the nitty gritty lol
    Good qualifier I think. While Nirvana maybe credited with being the "fathers" of grunge, your right, it was about things other than depression and drugs.

Oh and Funky - good call also, although I'm not sure I agree with your opinion, he does have an amazing voice, although to be honest, I think I prefer Mike Patton. His range and varied vocal styles were one of the best things to happen to FNM and music in general - pity he's so wierd though.

User Info Menu

i just happen to think mike patton is one of the all time dooshbags of rock, but i still cant diss faith no more, they were a good band.

User Info Menu

and i have felt that way about chris cornell from the first time i heard the intro to louder than love. i still to this day have not heard a more beautiful scream.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    and i have felt that way about chris cornell from the first time i heard the intro to louder than love. i still to this day have not heard a more beautiful scream.
    One of my top 10 all time favorite albums there! I have to vote "other" because Alice In Chains was cosidered grunge when they came out and they are, by far, my most favorite band of al time.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

alice in chains is a very close 2nd for me.

User Info Menu

i just happen to think mike patton is one of the all time dooshbags of rock, but i still cant diss faith no more, they were a good band.
    He may seem like a douche, but he really isn't. His attitude toward the world is approached alot like Maynard from Tool... They're making music for themselves not a label, and if acting like a douche bag gets them to that peak of underground respect, they'll do it. I respect it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    He may seem like a douche, but he really isn't. His attitude toward the world is approached alot like Maynard from Tool... They're making music for themselves not a label, and if acting like a douche bag gets them to that peak of underground respect, they'll do it. I respect it.
    Yeah , but peeing into a drink bottle then pouring it over yourself - or the crowd (several times in fact) and other such antics - I agree with funky here - doosche.

Alice In Chains - probably should have put them on the list aswell - didn't think about it though.

User Info Menu

Spoonman is probably one of my all time favourite songs - everytime I hear it, never gets old.

User Info Menu

You know, I didn't recall that lol. He has gotten quite odd nowadays. But I liked his earlier stuff.

User Info Menu

i was thinking in paticular of the time that mike patton tried to encite a whole club of people to beat me up...lol, no really.
    i went to see mr. bungle and the melvins in houston. patton came out onstage and the band went into a 15 min. feedback solo. seriously, no music, just 15 min. of guitar feedback while patton swung his mic out over the crowd. i happend to be on top of the crowd and stuck my arm in the air accidentally snagging pattons mic cord. it swung back short and busted him right in the mouth. he got mad and stormed off stage. came back a half hour later and said he wouldnt play until he was given the head of the person that did it. of course the crowd laughed and boo'ed and mr. bungle didnt play another note. the melvens friggin ruled. great show.

User Info Menu

nirvana... i grew up with my crazy cousin corrupting me with their music..

Kurt Gobang

also very funny to say i can crack kurt cobain jokes almost all day
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Having just got home from Pearl Jam at Lollapalooza (they KILLED IT tonight!) I'm gonna vote for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    Having just got home from Pearl Jam at Lollapalooza (they KILLED IT tonight!) I'm gonna vote for them.
    Very nice - what sort of stuff did they play? I prefer old Pearl Jam personally

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    i would like to see matt cameron w/ pearl jam. he is awesome.

User Info Menu

I had to pick nirvana because 1. they are a big influence on me. 2. dave grohl owns. 3. like you guys said nirvana was the father of grunge.
    alice in chains was a close 2nd though
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Very nice - what sort of stuff did they play? I prefer old Pearl Jam personally
    Alot of old hits mixed with new stuff. They have so many songs that are instantly recognizeable that you can't go wrong going to see them.

i would like to see matt cameron w/ pearl jam. he is awesome.
    I've seen them with matt 5 times. He's really exciting. About 45 min into the set Matt started a drum solo, and in the distance, there was an unrelated fireworks show. Such a great setting!!!

User Info Menu

schweeeeet! ive seen matt and pearl jam in the same comncert but with different bands. the show was soundgarden, pearl jam, monster magnet (another fav. grunge band), and the screaming trees. simply one of the greatest rock shows i've ever seen. the show was smack dab in the middle of the the houston version of the rodney king riots in 1992. every time i hear that sublime song, apr, 26 1992, there was a riot on the street, tell me where were you? i think to myself... i was at pearl jam and soundgarden dammit.

User Info Menu

I'm with 1DB, Alice In Chains is the way to go. Anything off 'Dirt' is a great song.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I voted other. You forgot the Pixies, trhey were making grunge before Nirvana made it Fasoinable.

User Info Menu

I voted Pearl Jam but only because Alice in Chains weren't on there. And I didn't want to do other.
    Matt Cameron is so amazing on drums.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    3. like you guys said nirvana was the father of grunge.
    Wrong.

User Info Menu

i still cant believe im the only one that said soundgarden.