Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torn between 2 drumkits

User Info Menu

Default Re: Torn between 2 kits

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Looks like those are older Starclassics. It's hard to see the Star cast mount but it looks like the older pre-2006 black brackets. In which case they are probably NOT b/b. I don't think they made the b/b until more recently.
    Thanks for the insight, I would have had no idea about that. So do you know wood did they make the Starclassics with before 2006?

I was looking at a few other Starclassics, some info on them below:

Not sure if this is a post 2006 kit, this was my second Starclassic alternative.

Another Starclassic. It's probably in the same boat as the one above, as they look nearly identical.

Another one, horrible photo quality though. In the listing it says birch, so I'm assuming it's an older one as well?

Thanks everyone for your time and help!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Oh boy!!! The Starclassics are AWESOME!!! I have owned and played TAMA for 25 years (all Birch) and I have had my Starclassics for 13 years and they deliver every time. The one pictured looks to be a slightly older model in which case it is all birch. Look at the badge. If it says made in Japan it's most likely all birch and is the more sought after of the Starclassic line. Also based on the Starcast mounts (which appear to be black) they are certainly 2006 or older. The birch is bright yet has very good low end for a birch kit. The Starcast Mounting System is the best isolation system in the industry and the quality of TAMA hardware can't be beat. The die cast hoops offer great tuning and add to the sustain (die cast hoops tune easier and offer better sustain than trippe flange 2.3mm hoops).

And I have owned and played Gretsch kits in the past but the only one I currently own is a late 50's Round Badge but I have played on the more late model Renowns and Cat Maples. The 30 degree bearing edge on Gretsch kits is phenomenal and gives Gretsch drums a sound that is truly great. The die cast hoops also offer great tuning and sustain. Their hardware is just as strong and respected as TAMA.

Both TAMA and Gretsch are very high on my list. The guys in my local drum shop sell all the major brands but personally own TAMA and Gretsch and push both brands (yet they do listen to the customer and cater to their needs).

These are just my opinions based on owning and playing both brands.

The other kits you mentioned are fine but if your asking for opinions then those would be mine.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Oh boy!!! The Starclassics are AWESOME!!! I have owned and played TAMA for 25 years (all Birch) and I have had my Starclassics for 13 years and they deliver every time. The one pictured looks to be a slightly older model in which case it is all birch. Look at the badge. If it says made in Japan it's most likely all birch and is the more sought after of the Starclassic line. Also based on the Starcast mounts (which appear to be black) they are certainly 2006 or older. The birch is bright yet has very good low end for a birch kit. The Starcast Mounting System is the best isolation system in the industry and the quality of TAMA hardware can't be beat. The die cast hoops offer great tuning and add to the sustain (die cast hoops tune easier and offer better sustain than trippe flange 2.3mm hoops).

And I have owned and played Gretsch kits in the past but the only one I currently own is a late 50's Round Badge but I have played on the more late model Renowns and Cat Maples. The 30 degree bearing edge on Gretsch kits is phenomenal and gives Gretsch drums a sound that is truly great. The die cast hoops also offer great tuning and sustain. Their hardware is just as strong and respected as TAMA.

Both TAMA and Gretsch are very high on my list. The guys in my local drum shop sell all the major brands but personally own TAMA and Gretsch and push both brands (yet they do listen to the customer and cater to their needs).

The other kits you mentioned are fine but if your asking for opinions then those would be mine.
    Yep, like drumsetsnide said, probably birch. My Starclassic is a 2001 birch kit. I LOVE it. I can't say that enough. LOVE.

Not lie, I get compliments on the sound at nearly every gig from sound men, other drummers, and normal folks in the crowd. These drums sound unbelievable.

User Info Menu

Looks like those are older Starclassics. It's hard to see the Star cast mount but it looks like the older pre-2006 black brackets. In which case they are probably NOT b/b. I don't think they made the b/b until more recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    lots of guys on the net are saying the new saturn LE is not as good as the regular saturn

that pearl is nice but its no master series ..

i would prolly get the tama or the mapex ....really need to play them side by side
    Is the Saturn I mentioned an LE? I wouldn't really know, I'm not terribly familiar with the finishes and different models of them.

Also, are you referring to the masterworks or MCX when you say 'master series'?

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I would really need to know sizes.
    I plan to make a few calls and gather that info, I'll post it when I find it out.

_____

Itchie reminded me of some other kits I was looking at, which were a few MCX's:

This one is a bit pricey (the photo mentions the wrong price), but it's nice, and a 5 piece.

I'm not too keen on the finish of this one, but it's cheaper than the others somewhat.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I was writing my previous post when you posted the other Starclassics. If they have the black Starcast mounts they are pre 2006 (unless someone liked the black mounts and put them on a post 2006 set, which I wouldn't think they would). But look at the badges. Made in Japan is the more sought after of the Starclassic models. Up to about 2009 the Starclassics were made in Japan and after 2009 all TAMA drums were made in China. Don't let that deter you though. TAMA relocated many of the Japanese craftsmen to China. You can still order kits made in Japan but that's gonna cost you. So black mounts most likely 2006 or earlier and made in Japan. Chrome mounts post 2006. If the badge says Made in Japan it's 2009 or earlier and if it says made in China it's 2009 or later (and will definitely have chrome mounts). The drums from 2001 and earlier were all birch and those 2002 and newer were either all birch or B/B. I know its a little confusing but I know my TAMA's.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 11-11-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Yep, like drumsetsnide said, probably birch. My Starclassic is a 2001 birch kit. I LOVE it. I can't say that enough. LOVE.

Not lie, I get compliments on the sound at nearly every gig from sound men, other drummers, and normal folks in the crowd. These drums sound unbelievable.

Thanks man, you have great opinions.
    I'll ask the sales person about the badges on those. I really fancy birch kits too, so I'm glad to be getting some opinions on them.

The Starclassics are lookin' mighty good now
    Not to say the Renowns aren't. Looks like I'll just need to sit back and find out which sounds best to me at this point.

Keep them opinions comin' everyone, and I appreciate all of your guy's time helping me decide on a kit!

I'm excited.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I was writing my previous post when you posted the other Starclassics. If they have the black Starcast mounts they are pre 2006 (unless someone liked the black mounts and put them on a post 2006 set, which I wouldn't think they would). But look at the badges. Made in Japan is the more sought after of the Starclassic models. Up to about 2009 the Starclassics were made in Japan and after 2009 all TAMA drums were made in China. Don't let that deter you though. TAMA relocated many of the Japanese craftsmen to China. You can still order kits made in Japan but that's gonna cost you. So black mounts most likely 2006 or earlier and made in Japan. Chrome mounts post 2006. If the badge says Made in Japan it's 2009 or earlier and if it says made in China it's 2009 or later (and will definitely have chrome mounts). The drums from 2001 and earlier were all birch and those 2002 and newer were either all birch or B/B. I know its a little confusing but I know my TAMA's.
    Ok, I'll look out for those. So it seems for the most part that the kits I posted have chrome mounts from what I can see. I'll ask the sales guy just to be sure though.

Thanks for the help, you definitely do know your Tama's!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Ok, I'll look out for those. So it seems for the most part that the kits I posted have chrome mounts from what I can see. I'll ask the sales guy just to be sure though.

Pretty sure all the kits you posted have the black mounts, not the chrome mounts.

Black mounts:

Chrome:

User Info Menu

Pretty sure all the kits you posted have the black mounts, not the chrome mounts.

Black mounts:

Chrome:

Thanks for pointing that out!

Actually just a few minutes ago I took a closer look at one of the kits and they did indeed seem to have the black mounts. I confused the part you were talking about, mixed it up with the bass drum mount..

Well, it's time to make some calls now, I'm leaning towards the black satin one I originally posted.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Just to deter from the post a bit... Marko, is that a Metalworks snare you have?
    That snare looks very nice.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

We Should make an entire thread for questions like this everyone asks them so often and are very fun to ask and answer.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

You're very welcome.

In either case you are getting a great kit. TAMA built their current factory in China from the ground up and has 100% control of the production and, like I said, relocated many of the top craftsman in their factory to oversee and train the Chinese craftsman. So the only difference you are gonna see is the "Made in..." on the badge. They relocated to keep other costs (overhead and shipping and I imagine labor, down) without having to compromise on quality. But that's just a side note.

Anyway, the choice is ultimately yours and only yours but I get really fired up about TAMA (and Gretsch). These are just my opinions. Do your research and homework
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 11-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Just to deter from the post a bit... Marko, is that a Metalworks snare you have?
    That snare looks very nice.
    Thank you. It's an Artwood maple. I LOVE that snare too. Snagged it in mind condish about a year ago for $98 shipped to my door. 13x6.5.

User Info Menu

Thank you. It's an Artwood maple. I LOVE that snare too. Snagged it in mind condish about a year ago for $98 shipped to my door. 13x6.5.
    Ahh...I quickly saw the badge and it looks similar to the metalworks.
    This is a Metalworks 6.5x13. Notice the similarities?

Anyway, nice snare and what a steal!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

ever thought about going out on a limb trying something out of the norm?

odery, drumcaft .etc

User Info Menu

i would say the mapex but i'm a mapex guy, that said i don't like the colour of that one.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Ahh...I quickly saw the badge and it looks similar to the metalworks.
    This is a Metalworks 6.5x13. Notice the similarities?

Anyway, nice snare and what a steal!
    Ya, they are nearly identical. I've heard the metalworks live too, fantastic snares as well. I know you know this but Tama makes great stuff at nearly every price range.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    ever thought about going out on a limb trying something out of the norm?

odery, drumcaft .etc
    I've been looking at a few other custom kits, but they are a bit out of my price range.
    I also don't live near anywhere where I could get my hands on one of those to try out, but the sound samples online sound great.

Especially the acrylic Drumcrafts, I'll be considering one of those as my second kit when I can afford it

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i would say the mapex but i'm a mapex guy, that said i don't like the colour of that one.

cheers Mark
    At first glance the finish looked kind of unique, but when pictured it in a room, on a stage, or myself playing it, it would just look too funny (to me).
    Thanks for the opinion!
    ___

And all the talk about the Artwood and Metalworks snares got me curious, so I'm starting to look at a few of them now. I originally intended to get a Pork Pie, but some of the Tama's are looking pretty good. Time for another trip to the drum shop
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I've been looking at a few other custom kits, but they are a bit out of my price range.
    I also don't live near anywhere where I could get my hands on one of those to try out, but the sound samples online sound great.

Especially the acrylic Drumcrafts, I'll be considering one of those as my second kit when I can afford it

At first glance the finish looked kind of unique, but when pictured it in a room, on a stage, or myself playing it, it would just look too funny (to me).
    Thanks for the opinion!
    ___

And all the talk about the Artwood and Metalworks snares got me curious, so I'm starting to look at a few of them now. I originally intended to get a Pork Pie, but some of the Tama's are looking pretty good. Time for another trip to the drum shop
    If you keep an eye out you can probably snag a deal like I did.

User Info Menu

If you keep an eye out you can probably snag a deal like I did.
    Exactly!! And like you marko, I got a really good deal on my Tama Starphonic Steel. They retail for $450.00 new. I snagged mine (new) for $200.00.

Tama snares are great. When it comes to snares I do deviate from my two favorite manufacturers. While I do have a lot of Tama snares I also have snares from Ludwig, Leedy, Wurlitzer and Gretsch (wood, steel, aluminum and brass).

If the drum kits you are looking at have a snare, especially the Tama's, you will have a great snare to begin with. You can always trade in the snare that comes with the set and get something really nice for little money out-of-pocket.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Exactly!! And like you marko, I got a really good deal on my Tama Starphonic Steel. They retail for $450.00 new. I snagged mine (new) for $200.00.

Tama snares are great. When it comes to snares I do deviate from my two favorite manufacturers. While I do have a lot of Tama snares I also have snares from Ludwig, Leedy, Wurlitzer and Gretsch (wood, steel, aluminum and brass).

If the drum kits you are looking at have a snare, especially the Tama's, you will have a great snare to begin with. You can always trade in the snare that comes with the set and get something really nice for little money out-of-pocket.
    Yeah that got me thinking. I'm actually looking at a Starclassic kit with snare, and another without. The kit without the snare is $100 less than the one with a snare.
    I'm making the call for both of those today, I'm wondering which might be the better deal.

I've seen Starclassic snares going for around $200 or less used. So it sounds like I could easily sell that one off for maybe $150 and pick up a different one that I like more.

Then again, if the Starclassic snare sounds better to begin with, I won't bother selling it

But whadda you guys think?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Work them for a sweeter price on the kit with snare.

User Info Menu

Well originally this was torn between 2 kits, and now its 4 companies.

I would say pick 1 brand 1 line and find a deal.

Mapex=Awesome
    Tama=Awesome
    Gretsch=Awesome
    Pearl=Awesome

I've played Tama's live, not my cup of tea, but they sounded good.

I've played Mapex and they are incredible

I've played Gretsch and would love to own one eventually

I've played Pearl (MLX) and by god they are great drums.

If you like the sound equally between Masters, Saturns, Renowns and Starclassics, then pick the one with the sizes you want, or the finish you want.
    Personally that Purple Saturn kit is the coolest finish out of those that you showed, and I would probably pick that.

The rest of the finishes are pretty plain.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Well originally this was torn between 2 kits, and now its 4 companies.

I would say pick 1 brand 1 line and find a deal.

Mapex=Awesome
    Tama=Awesome
    Gretsch=Awesome
    Pearl=Awesome

I've played Tama's live, not my cup of tea, but they sounded good.

I've played Mapex and they are incredible

I've played Gretsch and would love to own one eventually

I've played Pearl (MLX) and by god they are great drums.

If you like the sound equally between Masters, Saturns, Renowns and Starclassics, then pick the one with the sizes you want, or the finish you want.
    Personally that Purple Saturn kit is the coolest finish out of those that you showed, and I would probably pick that.

The rest of the finishes are pretty plain.
    Yeah, my original selection really branched out and changed.
    Thanks for the opinion!

And a quick update:

I called about the Saturns, and both black Starclassics.

The Renown kit was sold today (by seeing their inventory), and the Starclassic (without the snare) has been put off on layaway today too.

So that leaves the Saturn and the black Starclassic with the snare left (from my prior options).

Now here is the lowdown for these kits:

Saturn:

Has no mounting hardware for it, so I would need to buy a double tom stand, etc.
    I don't believe it has the floor tom legs either, but I may be mistaken.

The heads sound like they are in better condition than the rest, but I was told they might need to be replaced soon.

Sizes:

22"x18"
    16"x16"
    14" (snare)
    13"
    12"

Starclassic:

Heads are G1's, and definitely need changing. There is some denting on them from what I was told.

Comes with all the hardware, but it would need a multi-clamp for the floor tom to attach to my stand.

Sizes:

10"
    12"
    14" (he said it's a "shorter" floor tom than standard)
    22"

So now I'm really debating as to what to do right now. I missed quite a few nice kits so far, but I guess they were not meant to be.

At this point I may just hold off for a while (meanwhile I would keep checking around until I find another good deal). I started looking at some Silverstars, but it sounds like they are a bit lower end than the Starclassics.

But what do you guys think about this? Should I just hold off until I find a better deal?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Not sure what the prices are but there is a nice saturn kit in same sizes here for $500 cash and a pearl sensitone that I paid $80 for, so essentially I could get the kit for $580 ... Not bad and it is in great condition, apple burst color. Problem is I already own a saturn in rootbeer burst... : ) but am still thinking about it as a 2nd kit.

it sounds to me like your in no hurry to get a kit and that neither of the 2 your looking at has really reached out and grabbed you.. I get the impression you know enough about what you want that when you see the kit you want I am pretty sure you will not even wait for other peoples opinions before you buy it.

Good luck, I am looking forward to seeing pics of your new kit.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO