Thread: Advice for playing in a cover band

User Info Menu

Default Advice for playing in a cover band

Hey guys,

Just got a questionf or the more experienced guys out there as far as playing in cover bands etc... goes. It's something I am onyl looking at getting into nowadays, and I was just wondering if you would mind parting with your experiences as far as if bands want you to play songs the EXACT way the original drummer does, or as long as you know the song, the rhythm, fills etc... within your own style etc... if that's all they really look for.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

i play in a cover band. i tend to take a few libeties with the songs as long as i am capturing the feel and spirit of the song. i do try to learn the songs as they were written and get comfortable with playing it right before i start messin with it. in my opinion a good coverband drummer does not overplay. as i said, i do take liberies, but never at the expense of the song.

it may seem boring and unfullfilling at first, but is a good way to get out playing and gaining valueble experience. the band i play in does alot of different kinds of music, so in one night i will play rock, jazz, reggea, blues, a little metal...ect. so i am doing alot of different styles and feel i am becoming a much more rounded drummer from the experience.
    i wasnt real into it at first and was only in it for the money, but this last year of steady work with the coverband has led to many other opps. and alot of recognition that i never got playing in some pretty good original progressive rock bands.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-05-2007 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I have no problems with being a part fo a cover band over an originals - in fact it is my preference. It's just that I was wondering if I should be aiming to play the song the EXACT way it is played originally, or, as you said, aiming for the feel and energy etc.. of the original. That is how I have aways played, and even though I feel I have an ear for listening to it and picking out what a drummer is doing, sometimes, that counts for nothing as I either CAN'T play it the way the original is played, or I don't have the equipment or I just don'tt know what the drummer is doing, so I just play what feels right. It has always stood my in good stead so far, but I thought I would just see what others experience in this area, as I have never bothered with a cover band - at least not seriously, until now. I am looking at trying out for a band - already established, gigging etc..., in a couple of weeks, and while I can play pretty much everything they play, I can't or know that I won't play everythng the exact as the CD. Just trying to fiure out if that will make it harder for me or not.

User Info Menu

if you are auditioning for a coverband it would be good to find out what kind of drummer they are looking for. some are real picky about that kind of stuff and will want you to play it exact.
    the easy part of my band was that it is all classic/southern rock and blues that i have been listening to since birth. even tho i had never accually tried to play most of the songs, i knew them by heart.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-06-2007 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

i want to play them exactly and my band dosent..its a matter of pride for me tho...i naturally dont like playing covers cause im always not doing a fill right or something
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

This is a classic rock style band - very strong aussie influence. AC/DC, a bit of Powderfinger, Pearl Jam, The Angels, The Black Crowes, Jet, Guns N Roses, U2, Foo Fighters, Grinspoon to name a few bands of the songs that they play. Some bands only have like 1 or 2 songs, others like AC/DC have like 7 or 8 songs. Some of the stuff is stuff that I listen to anyway - so, like yourself, even though I've never bothered to actually PLAY the songs, I pretty well know them off by heart anyway, others are songs that I know, but don't really listen to, mainly becuase I'm just not that into the bands, but I don't care, I play whatever becuase I love to play, and if I CAN get paid for it, even better again, and then the sogns that I do really enjoy playing take that one step further into the world of ecstasy.

thanks for the advice though - so far, from what I can tell, I think they will be cool if I can just play the songs - no need to play every fill and roll the exact way the original recording does, but I think I'll just have to wait and see.

User Info Menu

one of the main things i think about is.... is it just a fill or is it one of those pattented fills that are one of the "hooks" of the song? like if you were playing "in the air tonight" by phil collins, you dont wanna improvise that fill.
    not that i ever played that one, but you see where im coming from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    one of the main things i think about is.... is it just a fill or is it one of those pattented fills that are one of the "hooks" of the song? like if you were playing "in the air tonight" by phil collins, you dont wanna improvise that fill.
    not that i ever played that one, but you see where im coming from.
    Yeah, that's how i normally approac it - that's why I never attempt to play Tool songs - I would be too frustrated and disappointed that I couldn't do it proper justice by playing it right - every fill in a Danny Carey song has that quality about it. And yeah, In the Air TOnight is a good example - even the remake by Nonpoint they still played that drum roll the same way.

User Info Menu

I'm more of a 'play it exactly how it was played' - I think if people recognise the songs your playing, they'll know if something is off a little. But like funky said, it's a good idea to learn the song properly before you change anything. Most of the time you realise it's not worth changing anything anyway.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Keep it simple. And good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58 View Post
    I'm more of a 'play it exactly how it was played' - I think if people recognise the songs your playing, they'll know if something is off a little. But like funky said, it's a good idea to learn the song properly before you change anything. Most of the time you realise it's not worth changing anything anyway.

HB58
    especially if a drummer is watching you, then you better make sure you got the song 100%

User Info Menu

Funky has nailed this. It all depends on the band you're playing for and the particular tune. If it's a "hook", play it exactly like the record. Some bands are extremely particular and others aren't. Usually, the closer you can play it to the original, the better. It keeps everyone happy.

User Info Menu

i'm glad my band lets me do what i want tho, i couldnt handle playing things like mustang sally the same every night. thats one song i will throw a different type beat to about every time. i do it on songs like that just to mix it up and keep it fresh. but on most songs i will just do little subtle accents here and there but nothing to change the accual beat or rythm of a song.

User Info Menu

I have played in a few cover bands. I have to agree with what most have written here. Unless it's a "hook" beat (the double beat on 4+ on every other measure in the BonJovi/JNettles "Who Says You Can't Go Back" tune; the opening to "We're An American Band" by GFR, The snare/crash combo on the separations in GNR "Sweet Child 'O Mine"; the "disco" hats and bass drum on Deep Purple "Smoke On The Water" - you get the idea), you can improvise and I'll tell you why... There is no way in H E double hockey sticks that the original drummer is going to play the tune live EXACTLY like he played it on the recording - he'll be dang close - especially on the "hooks" but it would be virtually impossible for a pro working drummer to remember every fill on every song exactly the way they recorded it. At that point you might as well put on the CD and fake playing (ala Milli Vanilli - hey, didn't they win a Grammy?). A few liberties and creative license is okay and frankly should be expected. We're not machines, we're humans - each with our own creative style and nuances. I've actually auditioned for bands (2x), played a cover tune with them and had the bandmembers tell me that I sounded better than the recorded version (got the gig both times). So what the hey. I say just have fun and do the best you can BUT DON'T FORGET THE HOOKS!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 08-07-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Cool Advice for playing in a cover band

Stix, you nailed it! Nobody--not even the original band drummer--will play the same tune exactly the same way every single time. The trick is, however, is that you have to play the tune as close as possible to the original style (especially if has a distinctive hook).

If you're a hand-drummer, you can exercise your creative license (within reason), but if your hook is, say, the drum solo on "Wipeout" or the break in "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," you definitely have to play it as close to the original as you can!

But have fun with it, and don't get so hung up on perfection that you turn into a robot, CMWP! If you aren't having fun behind the drums at a gig, why bother?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I never played in a cover band so I cant give much advice here but , I personally, would try to play it as close as possible with a couple of change ups here and there.

BTW CMWP, how is Kickstart coming along? been jammin that out with the cover band yet

User Info Menu

These guys have all nailed it! I've been playing with my current band for over 2 years now and I don't think I have ever played the same song the exact same way twice (ok, maybe a few, but the drums are the "signature" of the song that everybody recognizes). A lot of the songs we play we have changed up a little anyways, so it would be almost impossible for me to play it exactly the way it was recorded. Don't sweat playing it perfectly, as long as you create the feel and energy that the song should produce, you'll do good.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Advice for playing in a cover band

I missed ya in the shoutbox, 1DB, but this is one area where the hand drummers can get away with a little more stretchin' than the set players--especially if the tune didn't have hand drums in it in the first place!

I remember punchin' up "Sweet Caroline" at one gig with some serious conga riffs--and a lot of people liked what it did for the tune! Neil Diamond never sounded that good before, IMHO!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

most of the songs i play with my band, i hav never heard before, no1 cares wat the drummer does aslong as they aren't an agent and you capture the feel of the song.
    caution drummer may bite

User Info Menu

I would think that playing exactly as a song was recorded would require us to have the same drum set up as the drummer on the recorded song, and if that was a Rush song, forget it! No one could ever cover a Rush song! Of course, given Neil Peart's amazing skills, I would imagine that there probably aren't too many drummers that would feel comfortable covering a Rush song.

Most of us would have to use the set up that we have to come as close to the original sound as we could. I might be wrong on this, but it's what makes sense to me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

we do fly by night and limelight, and i use a 7pc. i often find guitar players have a harder time figuring out rush songs than drummers.
    altho alot of people might think a 7pc is big for a bar/cover band, i usually have the right drum or cymbal for the job. and dont have to minimize and hack as many great drum parts as the guys that only use a 4 or 5 pc.

User Info Menu

But then, you fall into that catagory of "awesome drummer," Funky. I have great respect for you, my friend!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

FUnnily enough I asked my drum teacher the same question yesterday. He said in his band he tries to get the groove of the song then learns the beat, but changes it to how it feels/sounds better to him.