Thread: Jazz drummers- a few questions?

User Info Menu

Default Jazz drummers- a few questions?

For my GCSE in Product Design, I have decided to make a drumstick which functions as a brush and a drumstick. It would have different ends you could screw in for drumming or using brushes. (eg. you could screw in a brush end for light jazz and screw in a drumstick end for heavier drumming.)
    PLEASE would you answer a few questions so I can complete my research?

1 -Do you use Drumsticks?
    2 -Do you use Brushes?
    3 -Do you find that switching between Brushes and Sticks is an issue (between songs)?
    4 -Would you buy a product with interchangeable Brush ends and Drumstick ends?
    5 -Are you a professional or an amateur?
    6 -What price would you buy it for? £ (0-10) (10-20) (20-30) (N/A)
    7 -Any additional comments?

[N.B. I intend the product to be used between songs, not mid song. It is aimed at the amateur and beginner markets. I am asking these questions to get some positive data to record for the GCSE project, not so I can manufacture the product!]

Thankyou so much,
    Franbo100rocks x

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz drummers- a few questions?

I've inserted comments in your text

Quote Originally Posted by Franbo100rocks View Post
    1 -Do you use Drumsticks? YES
    2 -Do you use Brushes? YES
    3 -Do you find that switching between Brushes and Sticks is an issue (between songs)? NO
    4 -Would you buy a product with interchangeable Brush ends and Drumstick ends? Probably not, since it solves no existing problem
    5 -Are you a professional or an amateur? amateur playing 30 years, some paying gigs
    6 -What price would you buy it for? £ (0-10) (10-20) (20-30) (N/A) If it solved a problem I'd pay no more than $25 US.
    7 -Any additional comments? These seem to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I have used double ended sticks before for very special uses, mainly fast switching DURING a song. Between songs one has tons of time to switch sticks. In fact, if you are using a screw mount to change beaters, this would take significantly MORE time to do than to simply change sticks.

[N.B. I intend the product to be used between songs, not mid song. It is aimed at the amateur and beginner markets. I am asking these questions to get some positive data to record for the GCSE project, not so I can manufacture the product!] I get that. The issue would be making the stick FEEL like a stick, and making the joint durable enough to withstand the abuse. I would be really hesitant to let a beginner use sticks that felt different than regular sticks. Not to be all negative, but I'm a tech-type person.

If your project allows that much forgiveness in the mission then I hope this info helps and good luck.

Thankyou so much,
    Franbo100rocks x
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

1 -Do you use Drumsticks?
    Yes

2 -Do you use Brushes?
    Yes

3 -Do you find that switching between Brushes and Sticks is an issue (between songs)?
    No

4 -Would you buy a product with interchangeable Brush ends and Drumstick ends?
    No

5 -Are you a professional or an amateur?
    I get paid to play, call it what you like

6 -What price would you buy it for? £ (0-10) (10-20) (20-30) (N/A)
    None

7 -Any additional comments? Yes-

"The amount of pressure delivered on a drum stick is intense. I see possible structural issues surround the interchangeable end from brush to stick. The laterial stress across the shoulder of the stick could force the threads of the interchangeable end to become stretched and they may deform to a point where they would cross thread and strip due to stress. Why re-invent the 'wheel'?"

Vater Wire Tap Brushes

$17.99 USD or

Last edited by late8; 10-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franbo100rocks View Post

1 -Do you use Drumsticks? YES
    2 -Do you use Brushes? YES
    3 -Do you find that switching between Brushes and Sticks is an issue (between songs)? NOT REALLY
    4 -Would you buy a product with interchangeable Brush ends and Drumstick ends? YES
    5 -Are you a professional or an amateur? PRO
    6 -What price would you buy it for? £ (0-10) (10-20) (20-30) (N/A) PROBABLY NOT MORE THAN US$30, so like £15
    7 -Any additional comments? MY BIGGEST CONCERN WOULD BE TRYING TO USE THE STICK END WITH THE BRUSH END FLOPPING AROUND AGAINST MY WRISTS AND OTHER DRUMS, I'M WORRIED THE FEEL OF THE STICK WILL SUFFER FROM THE WEIGHT AND FLEXIBILITY OF THE BRUSH END.

Franbo100rocks x
    Sorry for the all caps, just differentiating (sp?) answers from questions!
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Franbo100rocks. first off welcome to the Chat! and I have to agree with late8..any two piece stick would have a very serious wear issue...screw cap stick. It would have a totally different feel to it...like kinda hollow I would imagine. Keep up the design studies..remember what Thomas Edison said.." its not that I failed on these designs...I just found out 100 ways HOW NOT to do something", er something close to this anyway.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride