Thread: Simon Phillips, TOTO and TAMA

User Info Menu

Default Simon Phillips, TOTO and TAMA

I watched the DVD, "TOTO, Live in Amsterdam" (2003) last night; Simon Phillips is the drummer and he is playing a fantastic-sounding, double-bass set of TAMA Starclassics...............green wrap is not so pretty but the sound is gorgeous..........looked to me to be clear REMO ambos on the toms.

I love to watch Phillips play; such mastery of the rhythms and accents..........and both left and right leads.........amazing player.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simon Phillips, TOTO and TAMA

I will have to check out some videos of him with Toto. I really like Toto and I have heard plenty of live recordings on CD with Simon on the drums. I would like to actually see what he is using for gear and heads. Thanks for posting this.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    green wrap is not so pretty
    Oh yeah?? I think it looks fantastic...

User Info Menu

Soylent green !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    I will have to check out some videos of him with Toto. I really like Toto and I have heard plenty of live recordings on CD with Simon on the drums. I would like to actually see what he is using for gear and heads. Thanks for posting this.
    Cliff notes:

User Info Menu

I was a fan of Toto back in the early 80's with their songs Africa, Rosanna, Georgy Porgy and Hold the line. I haven't heard of their name in years so thanks for bringing memories back Ricardo.

User Info Menu

Thanks late8 but I wanted to know the specifics on the heads. What Remo batters and reso combinations? I suppose I could do a little research on the net.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I was a fan of Toto back in the early 80's with their songs Africa, Rosanna, Georgy Porgy and Hold the line. I haven't heard of their name in years so thanks for bringing memories back Ricardo.
    My pleasure, pearlman.
    I have a copy of the MFSL Gold CD of TOTO IV............sonically superior.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I did some digging around my Vinyl collection and found this album of ToTo which to me was their best and I think first album ever. I wonder if this would be a collectors.

User Info Menu

I did some digging around my Vinyl collection and found this album of ToTo which to me was their best and I think first album ever. I wonder if this would be a collectors.

I believe that's Toto IV. This is the first with Hold the line....etc.from 1978

Last edited by Olimpass; 11-01-2012 at 07:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Simon is a long-time user of clear Ambassadors top and bottom on all his drumsets, with each drum having its heads tuned to the same pitch and no damping

i think he folds a towel and uses them in his bass drums, touching both heads

always has had a great sound through the years

User Info Menu

I also have that album on vinyl. That is TOTO IV. I don't think it is a collectors but to the right person it may be worth having. Have you heard the album TOTO XX? Check it out. It was released in 1998 and there are two songs in particular that I really like "Dave's Gone Skiing" and "Africa" both live and Simon does some incredible work on those songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post
    Simon is a long-time user of clear Ambassadors top and bottom on all his drumsets, with each drum having its heads tuned to the same pitch and no damping

Yes, his drums sound fantastic! I also tune the same way he does, have for years. Thank you for sharing that.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 11-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davezedlee View Post

The towel trick is exactly what I use in my bass drums...............with today's modern bass heads (I use Powerstroke 3), this is all a drummer needs to place in the shell to get a great sound.

In the old days we would use a pillow or a piece of foam rubber cut to fit...........today, this is overkill..............the PS3 and a towel sounds great.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian