Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not deserving A drum Kit

User Info Menu

Default Not deserving A drum Kit

I've heard people say this alot, on youtube, forums, just anywhere, that people do not deserve the drum kit they are playing on. You see some kids with their dad's usa customs and these people are constantly ripping on these little kids for being spoiled. What do you guys think? I think there is a line somewhere, ie, if you cant keep a steady, simple beat you don't deserve a 1000 dollar kit you parents bought you.
    The reason Why I am asking this is because of the great deals on gretsch renown 57s full size and bop kit on swee****er. (1000 and 800) However, I don't feel I'm god enough to deserve the kit no matter how low the price is. Tell me, what do you guys think? Then again, the good kit might really inspire me to live up to the kit though. Anyway, tell me your thoughts. I want to hear more about this.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not deserving A drum Kit

First of all, people that rip other people on YouTube are douches and nobody should give them or their comments one moment of thought.

Second, buy what you like and what you can afford.

User Info Menu

Whatever kit(s) you choose to play and whatever reason(s) you choose it/them are your decision(s) and nobody else's. Get what you like and play what you like and have as much fun as you can.

The reason people attack others for having what they have and doing what they do is because they are judgmental, jealous and lack self-esteem and have inferiority complexes. It's all fear-based.

So to answer your question, get the kit that you want and enjoy it.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    First of all, people that rip other people on YouTube are douches and nobody should give them or their comments one moment of thought.

Second, buy what you like and what you can afford.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Whatever kit(s) you choose to play and whatever reason(s) you choose it/them are your decision(s) and nobody else's. Get what you like and play what you like and have as much fun as you can.

The reason people attack others for having what they have and doing what they do is because they are judgmental, jealous and lack self-esteem and have inferiority complexes. It's all fear-based.

So to answer your question, get the kit that you want and enjoy it.
    Both of these guys summed it up perfectly. No one can judge what kind of drums you buy...They're YOUR drums.

However, I will say, don't buy a $1000 set unless you're sure drumming is something that you want to continue doing for a long time.

Good luck!

ZK
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

What I have always said is you dont NEED the exspensive top of the line stuff when youre not playing jobs of that level. Big difference.

User Info Menu

Get a kit you can afford and obviously one you like...and don't worry about what others think or say...do you want to play drums?..do you enjoy playing drums?..if so, then get the kit you want and have fun playing it!...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 11-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    What I have always said is you dont NEED the exspensive top of the line stuff when youre not playing jobs of that level. Big difference.
    This +1.
    It's a bit like buying a Ferrari when all you ever do is drive down to the local shop to buy groceries.
    I'd love a top of the line kit, but I don't need one for what I play, & what I have is quite adequate.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I think the only measure should be your level of commitment. Anyone who is committed to learning and playing should have as nice of a kit as they can reasonably afford.

I do think buying a full set of DW collectors, pro level cymbals, etc for someone just starting out might be foolish because many, many people give it up after a few months.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they don't get it wrong.

User Info Menu

INVG, I consider myself a growing drummer who still has quite a way to go in my drumming journey. Some days I feel like a pretty good drummer, and some days I don't. Other musicians who hear me play are very complimentary of my drumming - including my bandmates. That means a lot to me, and at the same time, I still know how far I want to go. Having said that, if I wanted to upgrade my kit tomorrow - and I could afford it - it would. This journey is mine, and no one else's. There will always be people that can bring negative criticism, and some may be constructive. Other negagtive criticism simply comes from people that are just plain negative people, and they are that way for a variety of reasons. When you hear it, just nod your head politely, and move on. If you want the Renowns, and can afford them, get them. Just remember that there are a lot of other expenses that go with drumming, so factor that in. If you have, and you can still can afford the Renowns, well, you know.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think people can buy whatever kit they feel like buying. I think it's generally a bad idea to get an $8,000 set as a first drum kit, though. At that stage, you don't really know if you're gonna stick with it or not.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

As usually, sound advice from the DC world.

Keep in mind that when people say get what you can afford, only you can judge what you can afford.

Getting a set of Renown is not some crazy purchase. If you, and/or your family, can afford that as a first kit, and can afford to lose $ if you decide to sell it later, then more power to you.

The one thing not mentioned is that sometimes it's more motivating to be on a better kit. That's not an argument for $4,000 drums, but certainly an argument for $600 drums over $300 drums. NR's right, you don't need expensive drums, but you no reason to not get a solid kit if you can afford it.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

yep, everyone else already answered the way i would have.

jump in head first man, if one doesn't pick up on drums, then the kit can be sold in pieces or as a whole kit. i have seen plenty of drummers with huge kits that only use some of it.

oh and as for youtube comments, turn them off, there is always going to be trolls out there that think its funny to make everyone else mad, or give you a "dislike". thats the down side of youtube IMO. i turned off the comments a long time ago.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 11-04-2012 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    yep, everyone else already answered the way i would have.

jump in head first man, if one doesn't pick up on drums, then the kit can be sold in pieces or as a whole kit. i have seen plenty of drummers with huge kits that only use some of it.

oh and as for youtube comments, turn them off, there is always going to be trolls out there that think its funny to make everyone else mad, or give you a "dislike". thats the down side of youtube IMO. i turned off the comments a long time ago.
    I have a big kit but I use it all.Kind of pointless to buy all the add ons and not use them.
    Buy the kit that you like.Some of us here started on cheap kits others started on higher end kits,but it doesn't change the way you pick up on how to play the drums. Still have to do the same things to get good at it.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

I really love my Orion because I worked hard in a stupid retail job for ages to afford it, I learned to play on a Flatz Arbiter kit and eventually bought a Pearl Export with B8 cymbals. Now I have an Orion and HHX cymbals because why not!

I'm not playing wembley stadium or recording for any pop sensations but I'd sure as hell rather play on my awesome equipment then go back to my old equipment even if it is in a room on my own to tracks on my iPod haha.

I wouldn't ever say that people didn't deserve high end kits or anything but I do feel a bit ticked off when a little kid is arrogant about their kit and they've started off with a custom made SJC kit with full A custom cymbals. It's really strange. I think you should have to work your way up through the crap equipment to really appreciate the sounds of the instrument!

User Info Menu

I bought high end gear through toiling through other things in my life. I'd hope that no one would ever say about me that I don't deserve the gear I play on, I've sunk far too much time into playing for that to be the case.

The explanation of these comments is often petty jealousy. Some people luck out and are born into money, and they get access to things that the rest of us have to work for. That's life. Who cares if they deserve the gear? The gear shouldn't be the primary focus of the player - playing should be. If the player stinks, criticize the playing (I'd urge constructive criticism, unless they're gloating about their "mad skills". Some people do, in fact, need to be taken down a few pegs). I'd say don't mock someone for having great gear - that doesn't even make sense.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I have a big kit but I use it all.Kind of pointless to buy all the add ons and not use them.
    good point, i very much agree. this is better than saying that someone doesn't deserve it. it is pointless, a waste of money, and setup time (if you gig) to buy something huge if your not going to use it all, but i think most drummers will agree, that doesn't mean that someone doesn't *deserve* it, thats a bit harsh, and sounds like a youtube comment to me . it is what you make it to be.

User Info Menu

I believe that there is NOTHING wrong with a parent providing any set to their kid. That being said, there have been alot of parents contacting DC over the years and asking advice as to what kind and how much...smart people! If this glory set means putting your parents in debt..stay simple and in-expensive..if they have the means...i say why not...you will learn on any type, just have a slight advantage over others that critize you do mostly to jealosy.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback, my parents have been wanting to get me a new kit for christmas ( coming up) The kit would probably be the bop version ( 800 ) which while being expensive, would not put anybody in debt except myself ( more cleaning to be done ). Right now its a choice between the renown bop ( better build/ apparently sound) and the catalina maple ( more drums and 750 for a 6 piece).
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

I can agree with the statement that playing nicer drums can inspire you in ways that a cheaper drum set can't. Whenever I sit down behind a nice kit (especially mine :D ) I always feel at home and even more confident at times!

On the other hand, I can also say that being on a cheaper kit can be inspiring too. I guess any new playing situation in general inspires you in one way or another.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    INVG, I consider myself a growing drummer who still has quite a way to go in my drumming journey. Some days I feel like a pretty good drummer, and some days I don't. Other musicians who hear me play are very complimentary of my drumming - including my bandmates. That means a lot to me, and at the same time, I still know how far I want to go. Having said that, if I wanted to upgrade my kit tomorrow - and I could afford it - it would. This journey is mine, and no one else's. There will always be people that can bring negative criticism, and some may be constructive. Other negagtive criticism simply comes from people that are just plain negative people, and they are that way for a variety of reasons. When you hear it, just nod your head politely, and move on. If you want the Renowns, and can afford them, get them. Just remember that there are a lot of other expenses that go with drumming, so factor that in. If you have, and you can still can afford the Renowns, well, you know.
    Well said PB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    I bought high end gear through toiling through other things in my life. I'd hope that no one would ever say about me that I don't deserve the gear I play on, I've sunk far too much time into playing for that to be the case.
    Work hard, make sacrifices and save. You did the right thing and you got what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    jump in head first man...

oh and as for youtube comments, turn them off...
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, my parents have been wanting to get me a new kit for christmas ( coming up) The kit would probably be the bop version ( 800 ) which while being expensive, would not put anybody in debt except myself ( more cleaning to be done ). Right now its a choice between the renown bop ( better build/ apparently sound) and the catalina maple ( more drums and 750 for a 6 piece).
    Well, having read the choices you have, either set by Gretsch is a fine choice. Gretsch makes some fantastic sets. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Having said that you may want to consider the Renowns. As time goes on you can add a drum or two.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Who "deserves" a $250,000 Ferrari?
    Who "deserves" an $8,000 drum kit?
    A Western, Christian culture, moral question that really confuses the issue of affordability vs talent vs hard work!
    Ignore the argument: buy whatever you like.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Who "deserves" a $250,000 Ferrari?
    Who "deserves" an $8,000 drum kit?
    A Western, Christian culture, moral question that really confuses the issue of affordability vs talent vs hard work!
    Ignore the argument: buy whatever you like.
    THIS!!

Like slinglander, me and a few others have said, get what you want and like.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

$250,000 for a Ferrari ..thats a cheep one

I personally think if you by a kit you love then your most likely going to want to play the kit ..i see lots of kids buying budget kits, they end up unplayable in only a few months to a year.

buy a kit you can live with and respect and it will pay you back in the long run

User Info Menu

Someone mentioned dedication. I don't think it has anything to do with how skilled you are, Buddy Rich was unarguably amazing at what he did, and the quality of drums back then can't hold a candle to even the worst of what's being put out today. If drumming is something you're planing on pursuing, why not get a better kit? You shouldn't look at gear that will correspond to your perception of your skill level, you should look at gear for what you can use it for, what you can afford, and what you WANT. (:

User Info Menu

The way i feel about it is, buy whatever you want. The only thing that bothers me is when you have kids that get the super expensive sets and don't even take drums seriously and basically only have them there as oversized expensive toys, especially when they brag about have this "toy" and think they play really good, when they in reality don't practice more than twice a year, can't play worth a lick(haha just now realized the pun i made there). Maybe im wrong for thinking that way but thats how i feel. but if your going to take playing seriously then play whatever you feel like playing. whether your a beginner drummer or a veteran, play whatever it is that you'd like. Just as long as you take it seriously.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian