Thread: recording equiment

Shazane Guest

Default recording equiment

soon I'm gonna need mics, I need to know more about how many I will need and howto use them first of all, and also I need to find some that aren't expensive.

my set consists of snare, bass, hihat, 3 toms, crash, ride, china, and a xylophone

I also need, for a low price, a system that we can plug all these into

User Info Menu

there are several cheap mic packs out there for under 200 bucks. most are pretty bad. i would suggest the audix fusion 7pc set. they are 400 bucks but a much better quality, these would be comparable to the sure pg series but less expensive.
    i would stay away from nady, cad, samson and some of the lesser brands.
    and you are needing pa gear to go with it?
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-06-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Shazane Guest

I am.

so if I have 7, will one pick up 2 cymbals well?

User Info Menu

thats a good question, im also wondering

User Info Menu

yes, there will be mics for all 5 drums, kick, snare and toms. aswell as the two condensor mics that are used as overhead mics that will get the cymbals.
    do you just need a mixer or does your band need to start from scratch as far as sound gear?
    if your band has no pa you will nead prolly a 12ch or 16ch mixer, a power source (amp) and speakers.
    what do you have to spend?
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-07-2007 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Shazane, Funky is right on, so I'll just give you this link as a cross reference to PDPlayer's posts on this subject.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=2562

This will tell you hown he records his sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

sorry man, my mind has been on live sound gear all day as i am shopping to replace my bands PA.
    this is one of the easiest tools to get recording on a pc.

you can plug all mics into this and record direct to pc, comes with editing software. no mixer needed
    this is what i use...
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 08-07-2007 at 12:40 AM.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    yes, there will be mics for all 5 drums, kick, snare and toms. aswell as the two condensor mics that are used as overhead mics that will get the cymbals.
    do you just need a mixer or does your band need to start from scratch as far as sound gear?
    if your band has no pa you will nead prolly a 12ch or 16ch mixer, a power source (amp) and speakers.
    what do you have to spend?
    Yeah we need to start from scratch pretty much.

As for what we have to spend... its more of a question of how much we need to save up as of now. How much could we get all this for in decent quality? we probably have some extra speakers somewhere if they are generally versatile. And I think we might need the 16 channel mixer because we would take exactly 12 currently, any new members couldn't fit into it.

EDIT: I posted this while you were posting that last one, that's much more useful I think.

Shazane Guest

will that first one also go out to speakers? and will it support all of us? (2 guitars, 1 bass, 7 drums, 2 other mics)
    Last edited by Shazane; 08-07-2007 at 12:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I have one Audix instrumental mic rigged to my ceiling with an extender cord hooked into a laptop. It hangs right above my set in the middle about 2 feet from it. Picks up every sound perfectly
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

and i guess if you wanted to make one cymbal quiter and another one a bit louder you would just get one more mic to put on that specific cymbal right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    will that first one also go out to speakers? and will it support all of us? (2 guitars, 1 bass, 7 drums, 2 other mics)
    no the first one cannot be used for live sound. it is strictly an interface for recording, if you need something that will work for both live sound and recording you will prolly need to go with the mixer route. at min. it would take the 16ch mixer, if mixer is not powered you will need to get a power amp. the mixer will run into the amp and the amp out to the speakers. i would say min. for a louder rock or metal band would be 300 watts for practice and small bars. for recording see pdp's post. you can just go from the mixer outs into the computer. the problem with this is it puts everything onto one track onto the computer. making it impossible to do any post mixing from drum to drum.
    unless it is a usb or firewire capable mixer.
    i myself know very little, just the basics about live sound and recording. i like to just show up and play, but it really is important to have a little understanding of these things. i'm learning more every day.

User Info Menu

okie doke. Go the ..... 16 or 18 powered yammi desk.... You can use it as a 500watt a side amp or not too.

Then you can pick up two 250 or 500 watt FOH speakers.... Leads included into a package should be able to get for 3 or 4 grand AU....

Then you need mics... Get the mic kit funky said. Make sure they have good presssure gain levels..... This to make sure they wont blow diaphrams easy.

Definatly stay away from Cad.

Uhm.... You also need possibly foldback... I would go for 100 150 250 watt powered fold back because there easier to wire and use......
    Then all you need is a compressor and a 31band stereo EQ so you dont blow your gear up.

Lemme know if u want more details on what i said.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters